Shush Prac

Discussion in 'RAC' started by StumpyHussar, May 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Talking to an old chum who's ex HC and TA and never served on proper tanks, only motorised mess tins about HE (High Explosive). This all stems from a book called Tramp in Armour, by Colin Forbes, that we both read at school which is about a Matilda MK 2 getting caught behind the lines in 1940 and the crews struggle to get back to Dunkirk. Good book and had a lot to do with me joining the RAC but in it they use HE against the dreaded bosche.

They didn't have HE then but I've been trying to think how our practice HESH was called. Was it S/Prac or SH/Prac? If I don't get it right he'll only take the p1ss when he checks.

Do they still use it today?

2. It's SH PRAC and yes it's still used today!

3. I concur.

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

5. Mmm - looks familiar. Let me check the ache in my lower back.

6. Remember running bout drill square, carrying one of them over my head

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Has my memory gone. I didn't think the breech was that high up :wink:

8. no wonder i went pipe n slippers :)

9. Thats a relief can't imagine fighting a tank without having that. Think on ranges we used to fire 60% DST and the rest SH Prac

10. Don't forget APDS and HESH. We fired those too. Mind you, the problem with firing full charge APDS was finding the recoil indicator after it had been knocked flying.

Always wondered if that signified anything??? ;)

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Yes - Please remove BV before engaging in such practise. :wink:

12. In the 15 years I was in I never fired the proper stuff at all. When we got the Challeys factory fresh we had to take each one down the ranges and fire pukka fin-rounds at a special target. 7 I think it was and the REME and boffins used to check these out, all to do with the grouping. We had one which failed this test and it had to be back-loaded they tried everything but to no avail. The fin rounds made the bloody thing jump though! :D

13. He he. So did APDS. I got caught on the edge of the exhaust box one night after a shoot when another troop fired a salvo. Knocked me on me bum LOL

14. I remember in 78 at BATUS, we fired loadsa real stuff! I personaly shot the fcuk out of a massive hill with at least half a dozen HESH and then followed it up with the same amount of APDS at several hard targets. The only problem was, I had a loader firing box after box of .50 via the backplate after I ran out of coax! This was the same shoot, when the OC had a SABOT round, pass between his antenna's! This was the same shoot that a certain Chieftain lost several bins, splash plate and thermal jacket! Friendly fire? Nah, just good ol 70's style! :x

15. x1 blue heavy bastard...

Attached Files: