Shrunken Mess Wellies - help!

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by 20machinm, Jul 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a new pair of mess wellies recently and sent them to get beeswaxed/burned down. They came back about 2 sizes too small. Any ideas of how to rectify this?

2. Saw your toes off.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

You can place three tables spoons full of black powder in the toes, ignite from a safe distance and watch the results.

Bull your toes to a high standard and place them in your frontless mess shoes.

Job Jobbed and they'll double up as posh sandals for the beach.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Spray the inside with water from a plant sprayer using the mist setting until thoroughly wet.

Then stuff with soaked and wrung out t-shirt material or similar(not newspaper). Once dry(ish) keep repeating the process until they have regained the wearable size.

Finish off the job using proper shoe stretchers,the wooden ones with the metal clamps.

This process can crack the polish/wax, however if done gradually with care, then the final result will be ok. At worst you will need to wear thinner socks on a mess night.

5. Twat the bloke that shrank them for you and demand another pair. They've done a gash job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remove the soles and you'll find you have more wriggle room for your toes.

Failing that, smash your eye sockets to dust.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Buy some new ones. Tesco have an offer on. "Mess Wellies and a Life - £17.85 while stocks last".

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buy patent ones in the first place?

I've never heard of mess wellies being burned down and bees wax... are you RHA or something?

9. buy 2 sizes larger - send them off to get burned down, bees waxed job done

10. I hope you've got your goggles on for the old and bold shitstorm about to hit you.

11. If you put the boots on as best you can and walk up and down in a bath of VERY warm water for about 45 mins they should stretch back out. This WILL work. Then you can send them off to be beeswaxed and burnt down again. Repeat this process as necessary until the boots are only one size or half a size too small. From there you can grizz it out.

12. patent was the way forward

13. So was punching sprog sergeants in the throat.

• Like Like x 1
  14. i used to get mine from sprog sergeants.

15. You let sprog sergeants punch you in the throat?