shrinking my beret

#1
I know this has been posted before but i cant find it in the search so here we go again!!

Ok so its the right shape now ive removed the inner bit but still falls over my ear buy 1/4inch or so, other peoples are half inch above, so how did they shrink it that much??

even the pissing local cadets have perfect berets!!

ive hot/cold/hot/cold on head ,shape, leave to dry but it still has hardly shrunk.

ive done it maybe 3 times..
 
#2
indifferent said:
I know this has been posted before but i cant find it in the search so here we go again!!

Ok so its the right shape now ive removed the inner bit but still falls over my ear buy 1/4inch or so, other peoples are half inch above, so how did they shrink it that much??

even the pissing local cadets have perfect berets!!

ive hot/cold/hot/cold on head ,shape, leave to dry but it still has hardly shrunk.

ive done it maybe 3 times..
Not really a good idea to remove the lining but whats done is done. I had similar probs so just got a smaller one, looks perfect now. All you should need to do is the hot/cold water routine
 
#3
indifferent said:
even the pissing local cadets have perfect berets!!

..
Obviously your definition of perfect is Looks like a aircraft carrier :wink:

Trial and error is the only way, dont get the band wet, hot and cold treatment as you said an dry naturally. Go for next size own if neccessary and slightly cut the band, but if your new to the game as you dont worry youll keep your NCOs happy with the amusement of a chef style beret.
 
#4
Oi, I was a chef and my beret was perfectly shaped and not like a pancake or heli-pad either.
 
#5
saintstone said:
Oi, I was a chef and my beret was perfectly shaped and not like a pancake or heli-pad either.
i mean the beret the same shape as your white be-ro flour hat :D
 
#9
Removing the liner is destroying HM's kit, facker. Never read the QR+O's?
You should be charged and jailed to teach you a lesson.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#12
Are we talking the square clear plastic bit that's over the shaping instructions here?
 
#14
It matters not which bit it is! If it were'nt necessary, do you think the great minds entrusted with these things would have ordered it? Say your on OP tour and your buddy recieves that glorious bestowal of honour better known as a sucking chest wound; now, had you NOT been a lazy git, you could have taken the wee clear plastic bit, sealed over the wound to prevent further de-pressurization of the chest cavity, and used the cotton liner to make a bandage, saving your comrade's life. But NOOOO!!! not you!!! You had to, for vanitie's sake , reMOVE all that. So he dies. And you get to be the smartest- looking pall-bearer in the funeral with your beautifully formed beret! Nice one. Quit now before you kill someone.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#16
Flagrantviolator said:
It matters not which bit it is! If it were'nt necessary, do you think the great minds entrusted with these things would have ordered it? Say your on OP tour and your buddy recieves that glorious bestowal of honour better known as a sucking chest wound; now, had you NOT been a lazy git, you could have taken the wee clear plastic bit, sealed over the wound to prevent further de-pressurization of the chest cavity, and used the cotton liner to make a bandage, saving your comrade's life. But NOOOO!!! not you!!! You had to, for vanitie's sake , reMOVE all that. So he dies. And you get to be the smartest- looking pall-bearer in the funeral with your beautifully formed beret! Nice one. Quit now before you kill someone.

Harsh.

I suspect whoever told him to remove it believed the 'it makes you bald' myth (as if you can shine hair off) :roll:

Forget hot/cold/hot/cold and so on. Whack it in hot water only, shape it on yer heid and leave it to dry naturally. It'll be fine.
 
#18
Life's harsh. Maybe I should stick to the NAAFI Bar, where the men congregate.
 
#19
Doom said:
Dunno how to put this.....some people have big lugs,so no matter how much they hot/cold it still hangs over........ :?
I have noticed that aswell, some peoples berets also "poke out" as they have colli ears.
 
#20
just for you flagrant i will now make sure i carry an extra bit of plastic and a peice of old cotton cloth just incase i come across that senario, il be sure to keep it in a sterilized bag though, wouldnt want to cause a secondry infection.!!

i will have one more go go with the hot water, how long should i keep in there for?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top