Shrike L3A2 Battery Terminals

Discussion in 'RLC' started by .338lapua_magnum, Dec 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question for those in the know. The contacts on a shrike are grouped into three groups, two, four two. What is the polarity on the damn things? Cheers in advance.
  2. Unfortunately not a wah. I was asked to build a battery for a lad who uses one for firing small firework displays as he has had his batteries and charger nicked. I have the unit, but no battery and although I have the Li-ion cells to make the battery I am unsure of polarity of the battery to unit. Anyone?
  3. I'm afraid I can't help you with that one, I'm a bit far away now and we don't use that type of Shrike over here. Your problem is going to further compounded by the fact that the battery was reversible as well IE if you span the battery round 180 degrees and stuck it back on. Short of locating a wire diagram I'm afraid it looks like your stuck bud.
  4. You can buy these things...

Might be a better option for him than bodging it. Does it matter if he has a blind for example? Might make the show a bit sh1t, but what about the safety of going up to the banger or what ever itis?
  5. Got to be a better option that having the HSE chasing you if something goes wrong. What about his fireworks insurance... What is the score using a say homemade (professionally) battery. For the sake of £140 I would buy one.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  6. This lad is not a big player in the fireworks game. The material to make a battery is only£40 max. As anyone who has had dealings with ribbands knows, unless you are a 'name' they can be pretty snotty. Also, did you notice this: Stock level: Out of stock. Unlikely to be replaced. As for the usual scare stories with the HSE, as long as the battery is certified by a sparky its sound.
  7. Ok fair enough. Try reposting in the RE forum. Someone may have a spare one they can flog to you for under £40.

I did have a few knocking around buckshee at my last place so you may be in luck.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Just a thought but a Megameter or similar (set over a higher range) run over the permutations should reveal basic polarity - nowadays I use a tichy one to check polarity of unknown charger /sundry power outputs.
  9. Thanks for the help guys, I have posted on the RE forum Kybosh but no luck so far.
  10. You may struggle with that as without the battery it's as dead as disco.
  11. From the OP question I assumed he was still in possession/had access to a charger unit that would have given a clue to where the terminals should sit using the above method
  12. "Sappers will nick kit and sell you one".

‘Nick’ is such a vulgar word: obtain, acquire or borrow would be more appropriate!

Once a sapper, always a sapper!