Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us your kitchen

@Stonker - did you ever get your shit on one sock? It's been best part of a year, but CV-19 may have done you over. Interested if you got it finished.
Still waitin' . . .

99.9% there, but still waiting on Colin The Builder to turn up with a backing strip to finish off the worktop, and perform a few other minor tasks, but it still ain't finished (and I am learning to understand what builders mean by "I'll be over some time next week" :-( )

C-19 ? Maybe a factor, maybe an excuse . . . . hard to know . . . .

Last edited:
We've had a kitchen planner in to do us a new kitchen, will post the results once it's been done, we just have a preliminary plan at the moment.
Screenshot_20200821_162423.jpg

We've had a kitchen planner in to do us a new kitchen, will post the results once it's been done, we just have a preliminary plan at the moment.
View attachment 507327
I like the humongous picture window instead of the facing wall. Together with the skylight it's going to bright and airy too. Not sure about the sink, though: it's a bit close to the ceiling for you not to keep bumping your swede when your using it, and how the fvck is it gonna hold water, tipped on it's side like that ?

= = =
P.S. If that is a design by Wren kitchens, you're gonna pay waay more than you need to for it.

It's a company from Leeds, and like I said in my last post - I'm not paying for it, the owner has said we can get what we want (within reason) and they'll pay for it. :D

Dump the gas, go induction.
Have you tried Wren kitchens? We've had ours over 10 years and we still think it's the muts and get compliments from visitors. Avoid shiny black cupboards, a proper shiite to keep clean.

We had a Wren kitchen installed in January of this year. Let them do the whole job from planning right down to us signing off the job.
They organised all the sub contractors along with the main project manager. Went without a hitch and we were delighted with the finished product.
Yes, they are a little expensive but they did a great job.

I’ll post some pics when I get motivated but a cautionary tale on bloody new
“ composite “ worktops.
The long haired O.C. Last year decreed that as I had three aeroplanes, ( technically true) , She would like the kitchen re doing.
Now when we had the house built 17 years ago, the kitchen was built to her personal spec, and although we are half way bringing up 3 girls I thought it looked immaculate. But aparrently “ you have 3 aeroplanes” trumped any rational argument I could muster for the status quo.
So last september 4 weeks of camping as an oak floor was installed throughout ( very good and warmer than I expected) and the cream painted units and frankly bloody huge island ( which was the main female motivation) was installed.
Then the bloody worktops and splash backs.
The mehimsahib was persuaded by the silver tongued salesman to go for a
“ composite material “ top. which to my untutored eye looked like a fine quartz black granite but a bit softer/ warmer to the touch. Slighhtly less dosh than pure granite but still the gdp of Sierra Leone.
Kitchen had to be fully fitted before the worktop voodoo merchants from Kendal would set foot inside to measure up with some fancy laser scanner.
Then another week camping whilst they “ crafted them”( I very much got the impression their target market is bored trophy wives who must lap up such bollox).
Anyway installed last sept and does look the biz..............for a couple of weeks!.
From experience now, if you are going to fit stone worktops, FIT STONE.
If I put a kitbag on the island it’s stud feet mark it. I’m barred from cutting anything on it ( really handy for a work surface).
And the tin hat on it is the long splash back installed behind the cooker was installed with a non flexible glue so when the stove heated and cooled the sheet it found 2 stress risers and has started to crack.
Mrs Bomber as a bit of a perfectionist wanted it sorting under warranty and was getting fobbed off with offers to codge it, until I had a little chat with their MD, explaining what I used to do for a living ,stress/fatigue crack propergation, and stress avoidance.
A year later the buggers are reluctantly coming to fit a whole new sheet correctly. And breathe.!
I’ll take some pictures when I’m home,

Last edited:
View attachment 507327

Even if you could reach that sink on the ceiling the water would run out.

We had a Wren kitchen installed in January of this year. Let them do the whole job from planning right down to us signing off the job.
They organised all the sub contractors along with the main project manager. Went without a hitch and we were delighted with the finished product.
Yes, they are a little expensive but they did a great job.
Howdens are definately worth a look as well.

It's a company from Leeds, and like I said in my last post - I'm not paying for it, the owner has said we can get what we want (within reason) and they'll pay for it. :D
I'd bin that stove altogether. Get a chest level oven and a seperate induction hob. The oven section can be made wider adding a swing out cupboard on each side and as the unit will only be a bit above chest level, you can surface the top and have a microwave up there.
I know you are only renting so long term planning isn't an issue for you but when we designed ours, I knew it was going to potentially see me through retirement and with arthritis problems from my 40's, we made sure to include lever controlled taps, ovens you didn't have to get on your hands and knees to use and cupboard handles that I didn't get my fat knuckled fingers stuck behind.
I'll never understand why they make ovens so low.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
New kitchen finished. Thought the job would never end. Started groundwork for the extension at the end of March, so many supplies delayed due to Covid, but now a brilliant work space. Chuffed to bits with it.
20200930_144233_resized.jpg
20200930_144301_resized.jpg
20200930_144323_resized.jpg

Latest Threads