Show us your kitchen

Having had gloss white for the last 5 kitchens we went with cam-cream black for the current one.
20181115_082827.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This was supposed to be a lockdown project but has taken until now to complete.

We’ve survived up until now with just the Aga. Avid readers of my posts may recall that it died at the start of lockdown.

I fixed it, but having no means of cooking for a week certainly highlighted the need for a proper oven and hob as a backup.

Also means we can turn the Aga off in the summer saving literally hundreds of pounds a month in electricity bills.

This wall previously just had a very big and awkward looking American style fridge freezer that the kids had completely plastered in stickers.

I’ve fucked that off to the utility room and installed this. There is an under counter fridge for essentials like milk and butter so we don’t have to go to the other side of the house to the utility room.

I also knocked together a bookshelf out of some old pallet wood.

We’ve lived here nearly 9 years and only just got round to properly sorting this room out.
A72348AE-3315-4763-9215-BD0C5A75D9EE.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Still need to change these windows for something more in keeping with the age of the house.
9C65F064-2969-4091-896D-C445AD385FB2.jpeg
979E0CC1-FD2C-4F73-B54C-7F5B6095732A.jpeg
7D7022D9-3BC4-4B8D-80FF-C1C7AB41D585.jpeg
AFB8855E-78A2-4894-A104-A06112A97EFD.jpeg
BAD052E5-A4AD-4D94-A7BA-732D574ADEEA.jpeg
B8FE6814-AFF2-44F6-8AFD-A625F1EF9253.jpeg
8812D235-5195-482C-9C73-E225A480CDEE.jpeg
A3B53882-650B-4C7D-8AE6-B1DA8E0A9543.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Leaded hardwood was my default thought. Expensive I guess.

Yep. There are 37 windows in this house.

Priority is to sort the ones that are leaking and / or rotten first.

Grade II* listed as well so fairly limited on options.

These would’ve had stone mullions originally.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

We can get money for stuff like loft insulation and energy improvements but not for windows.

Pretty ridiculous situation really. The biggest factor in low energy efficiency is old single glazed windows.

The only thing the heritage people won’t let us change is the old single glazed windows.

You can even get double glazed ones now that look identical.

Can’t you sell off a couple of villages to raise the cash?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
We can get money for stuff like loft insulation and energy improvements but not for windows.

Pretty ridiculous situation really. The biggest factor in low energy efficiency is old single glazed windows.

The only thing the heritage people won’t let us change is the old single glazed windows.

You can even get double glazed ones now that look identical.
Royal Yacht Squadron had that problem too. Put in modern windows that were visually identical to the originals and had to rip them all out

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
This was supposed to be a lockdown project but has taken until now to complete.

We’ve survived up until now with just the Aga. Avid readers of my posts may recall that it died at the start of lockdown.

I fixed it, but having no means of cooking for a week certainly highlighted the need for a proper oven and hob as a backup.

Also means we can turn the Aga off in the summer saving literally hundreds of pounds a month in electricity bills.

This wall previously just had a very big and awkward looking American style fridge freezer that the kids had completely plastered in stickers.

I’ve fucked that off to the utility room and installed this. There is an under counter fridge for essentials like milk and butter so we don’t have to go to the other side of the house to the utility room.

I also knocked together a bookshelf out of some old pallet wood.

We’ve lived here nearly 9 years and only just got round to properly sorting this room out.
View attachment 503878
Very nice. You do know there are 2 sorts of electric Aga, one much cheaper to run than the other?
Electrikit may be the answer to your expense problem.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very nice. You do know there are 2 sorts of electric Aga, one much cheaper to run than the other?
Electrikit may be the answer to your expense problem.

Nah they’re all shite.

This is supposed to be the AIMS one that goes off at night. Still costs about 30 quid a week to run the thing.

That’s just for cooking and the radiant heat it gives off in the room. It doesn’t heat any radiators or hot water or anything.

We spent 2.5 grand having it completely refurbished and retrofitted with what was at the time, the all singing, all dancing electric system that would supposedly slash our energy bills. This was by Aga themselves, not some pikey outfit.

Now it actually costs more in electricity to run than it did in oil.

I thought the lack of success it was just because ours was an old one that had been converted, but my brother in law has a 3 or 4 year old 2 oven one that was built like that from new and is equally expensive to run.

The entire cost of putting in that new oven, extractor, hob, solid oak worktop, under counter fridge, tiles, and cupboards was less than the cost of running that thing for a year.

Now it’s just a kitchen decoration that we’ll run in the coldest months of winter only.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Nah they’re all shite.

This is supposed to be the AIMS one that goes off at night. Still costs about 30 quid a week to run the thing.

That’s just for cooking and the radiant heat it gives off in the room. It doesn’t heat any radiators or hot water or anything.

We spent 2.5 grand having it completely refurbished and retrofitted with what was at the time, the all singing, all dancing electric system that would supposedly slash our energy bills. This was by Aga themselves, not some pikey outfit.

Now it actually costs more in electricity to run than it did in oil.

I thought the lack of success it was just because ours was an old one that had been converted, but my brother in law has a 3 or 4 year old 2 oven one that was built like that from new and is equally expensive to run.

The entire cost of putting in that new oven, extractor, hob, solid oak worktop, under counter fridge, tiles, and cupboards was less than the cost of running that thing for a year.

Now it’s just a kitchen decoration that we’ll run in the coldest months of winter only.
Aga themselves are now owned by Americans who sacked all the knowledgeable staff, decked up customer service and is closing all the shops. Find an Independent Aga engineer local to you and cultivate him. It will make all the difference.

Latest Threads