IMG-20180503-WA0000.jpg

Getting a bit pissed off now

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
It's been nearly 3 weeks now and I'm still without a kitchenView attachment 334888
Getting a bit pissed off now
I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain.

The bloke running the "project" came round this morning and proper tippy-toed in and out the house before I could bombard him with my list. It's OK though - they're only 3 days over now, and if'll definitely be all finished by Friday. Quote from Gary the skimmer and painter "Will it f*ck." I think their 4 week timeline to get the whole house finished was a bit optimistic.

I settled for a 750 Honda engine on 3x2ply on top of the coffee table. It only went to a good home during renovations 12 years ago.

Arrived home, the cleaning person has relocated all sorts of Titanium wheelchair bits and Alber E35 fittings (which were carefully laid out).Piled into a box this could cause a small degree of difficulty.

On the plus side. I now have three remotes and I have no clue as to what they are for.
And what looks to be an old sky box. Are sky boxes worth or any good for anything?
I like these too:

Well hopefully we might start a bit of excavation next week. Possibly the well too. We're a good 3 or 4 months from kitchen fitting. Though the appliances are in the bag, sitting in various storage facilities.

I'm f*cking over building a house and we haven't really begun.

Well hopefully we might start a bit of excavation next week. Possibly the well too. We're a good 3 or 4 months from kitchen fitting. Though the appliances are in the bag, sitting in various storage facilities.

I'm f*cking over building a house and we haven't really begun.
I'm mentally planning mine for in 3 years - after fixing up loads I finally want to build one.

I'm mentally planning mine for in 3 years - after fixing up loads I finally want to build one.
If I had known going into it what the process was like, especially on "Tennessee Time", I would not have bothered, and just bought an existing house. Really not worth the stress, but I believe you hold the GC ticket, which would have helped.

Anyway, we're committed now, and hopefully we'll see something more tangible very soon.

If I had known going into it what the process was like, especially on "Tennessee Time", I would not have bothered, and just bought an existing house. Really not worth the stress, but I believe you hold the GC ticket, which would have helped.

Anyway, we're committed now, and hopefully we'll see something more tangible very soon.
Nope, no ticket. Previous States I lived in required a '4 year apprenticeship' before you could take the exam. I am a qualified UK advanced plumbist, gas fitter and qualified for what used to be called the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme - meaning I could bypass the building inspector for anything to do with plumbing. In the US I have doen the sparky course and the HVAC course - meaning I can do my own thing, but not for others, or profit so it is legally ok for self builds and fixing up. There is nothing to stop you being your own contractor - if you have the time.

Texas, whilst requiring all trades to take a supervising contractor exam DOES NOT require the General Contractor to be qualified in any way, shape, or form. So I will register and supervise my own build and get the 20% contractor discount on some bits and pieces. Tennessee time must be like Texas time the speed I see some places go up - there is no concept of workflow, or pre-planning so I fully expect the build to take at least 12 - 14 months especially when I start throwing in UK building standards at them ie, 40 inch footings and not 24 inch footings. And, built out of brick and block rather than timber frame which believe it or not only up's the cost by around 4% - 8% according to the industry pricing. I may even get a bricky gang over from the UK for a 'holiday' as weatherproofing and energy standards for bricklaying are non-existent here.

Nope, no ticket. Previous States I lived in required a '4 year apprenticeship' before you could take the exam. I am a qualified UK advanced plumbist, gas fitter and qualified for what used to be called the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme - meaning I could bypass the building inspector for anything to do with plumbing. In the US I have doen the sparky course and the HVAC course - meaning I can do my own thing, but not for others, or profit so it is legally ok for self builds and fixing up. There is nothing to stop you being your own contractor - if you have the time.

Texas, whilst requiring all trades to take a supervising contractor exam DOES NOT require the General Contractor to be qualified in any way, shape, or form. So I will register and supervise my own build and get the 20% contractor discount on some bits and pieces. Tennessee time must be like Texas time the speed I see some places go up - there is no concept of workflow, or pre-planning so I fully expect the build to take at least 12 - 14 months especially when I start throwing in UK building standards at them ie, 40 inch footings and not 24 inch footings. And, built out of brick and block rather than timber frame which believe it or not only up's the cost by around 4% - 8% according to the industry pricing. I may even get a bricky gang over from the UK for a 'holiday' as weatherproofing and energy standards for bricklaying are non-existent here.
No brickying at all in our new house. Little bit of accent stone, but otherwise traditional timber construction. I would not want brick anyway, because of its heat retention properties. Got to overcome that with the AC system. Seems self defeating to me. Other way round in the winter of course, but the 6 months of heat easily trumps the 2-3 months of cold. The other 3-4 months here, no real need for either heat or AC.

I expect you're in a different financial position to me, but we needed a construction mortgage to build the house, and you can't be your own GC, unless you actually are one professionally.

You're right on the concept of workflow. I asked for a project plan, a Gantt chart. Might as well have asked them for an Apollo Lunar Module descent program.

Still, there's no shortage of cabinet shops here, so getting the kitchen done should be straightforward (bringing it back to the thread).

If you're putting up the cost of the flights/board, I'm sure I could build a wall that is sort of level! I was a demon with Lego in my youth!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve had my man pad for a year now. Starting to feel a bit like home as opposed to just somewhere I sleep during the week.

My kitchen is also my living room.

A2A36784-22F6-47D3-8FBA-DECD9ACC1355.jpeg
8E4C3D1D-5242-45EB-939D-4E6425873482.jpeg
6C0EE84E-B54D-4A9A-8E6A-62FFE4A3CC18.jpeg

Latest Threads