Show us your chilli sauce...

WTAF is that?

Bisto doesn’t even import their products to the US, the only way to get them is 3rd party importers. I can buy it in the local supermarket, but it’s packaged for UK market.

Apart from that, American gravy comes as two kinds in general. One is the white “sausage gravy”, which is thick and stodgy and not to my taste at all. The other one is “brown gravy”, which is pretty much the same thing as in the UK. Neither are hot or spicy.

A triumph of marketing, it seems.

WTF indeed.

I like neither American gravy particularly - but I'll have the brown if desperate. It seems many Americans do not like it either with the pace that the Bisto in the International section of a few local supermarkets rapidly vanishes.

This stuff is great on chips instead of salt:

iu

If you want to try it there are recipes online to concoct your own.

my current EDC loadout. Well the 3 Pataks because I just returned from Blighty. The Boss sauce from the Dutch company Remia is not very hot but the sauce itself is good quality, despite the smoky flavouring - reminds me a bit of the old OK Sauce. The Mikee stuff is not bad at all and has only good ingredients. The little jar on the left contains home made Harissa from a colleague at work - he selects the chilli peppers and dries them in the sun himself .

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 5.53.56 PM.jpeg

Usually up for a challenge, I declare myself now officially beaten.
At last night’s birthday meal, appropriately enough in a Devizes curry house, amongst the goodies given to me by various assembled Loinfruit, were these little joys.
Under pressure I was moved to put a drop, the tiniest drop, of the ‘shot’ on a finger and taste it. Sh1t the bed, as Nanny used to say! Bonkers. Why? Who? What for?….are still some of the unanswered questions arising.
3B504FCC-BA22-4579-B896-969ACE0AFACF.jpeg

Like others, I've got the usual bottles of dave's insanity sauce, psycho juice, tabasco & sriracha. The first 2 I'll only add to bigger dishes that I'm cooking as they're too hot as a condiment.

There's an encona sauce which is really, really hot but I like this little additional Tabasco that you can get with Habaneros.
View attachment 617287
I went and got the hottest sauce that Tabasco do; Scorpion Tabasco. I could only find it on Amazon. Its really hot but its a decent sauce.

The YouTube videos of people eating the stuff are fascinating. The Mexican YouTubers seem to be immune to chilli whereas others are breaking down & in some cases calling emergency services.

ugly

LE
I used to work with an Irish chap who would sober up by eating bread spread with nothing other than Encona hot sauce

You could see the sweat on his forehead from twenty feet away

I used to always ask for the hottest curry until one of our group had the restaurant spike my chicken phal so it was inedible

I now had medium hot stuff simply because I’d rather enjoy what I’ve just bought plain and simple

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I took my 7 year old son to 'Spoons the other Thursday for lunch - well his Mum did say do something educational with him and my local 'Spoons is a window on the world,

He had burger and chips and a lemonade for about £6.00 and as it was Curry Day I opted for the Naga Chilli Chicken Vindaloo which with a pint of Doombar was about £8.00. I like hot food but this was definitely a challenge. I was limited to one pint and ended up swigging the boy's lemonade to put the fire out. Excellent curry though and lived up to its five chilli rating. Better than many I've had from a proper curry house. Recommended.

I don't buy any manufactured chili sauces.

It's very simple (and fairly fast) to ferment chilis and a few other ingredients e.g. garlic, pineapple etc. in a little salt water. As soon as they're done to your satisfaction, put them through the blender, and add oil or vinegar if you wish. If you want to store the sauce long term, or give it away, you can use heat to pasturise it for extra safety (I don't bother).

The taste is way better than anything you'll get in the shops, and it costs pennies. Just type "ferment chili sauce' into YouTube - there are loads of tutorials.

The usual suspects...

View attachment 661465

Found these bad boys in the Range,£24.99 reduced to £12.99, incorrectly priced at £6.49...

View attachment 661466

:)

JB
It's my son's birthday soon.
He's a competent and inventive home cook, loves spices.
I'm looking for a gift set, perfect for him but the Amazon reviews look poor for a lot of them.
Any advice out there would be gratefully accepted.
He'd bloody love it if it was quality.

I'm looking for a gift set, perfect for him but the Amazon reviews look poor for a lot of them.
How about one of the make your own chilli sauce kits?

Amazon product

(Other vendors and manufacturers no doubt available).

Maybe a selection of chili seeds and any required growing mediums and pots etc. There are loads of exotic varieties of chilies cheaply available.

Let him grow his own ingredients.

Go local…..

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe a selection of chili seeds and any required growing mediums and pots etc. There are loads of exotic varieties of chilies cheaply available.

Let him grow his own ingredients.
But don't let him allow Dad to mix up a sweet pepper with a California Reaper pepper.

Oh how I laughed as he took a big bite, then turned Red, Purple and started making funny noises akin to "ohfugginjesuschristwathafuckinghellohgod"

I got called all sorts of rude names for weeks.

These folks make good sauces. Not hot but enough to wake you and get the heart chugging along. I usually buy the LM Peri Peri in three litre jars, which lasts about a year.

LMPiriPiriSauce250e@03x.png

WTF indeed.

I like neither American gravy particularly - but I'll have the brown if desperate. It seems many Americans do not like it either with the pace that the Bisto in the International section of a few local supermarkets rapidly vanishes.

This stuff is great on chips instead of salt:

iu

If you want to try it there are recipes online to concoct your own.

but what about the sublime taste of the good old chip?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Went back to Norfolk a few weeks ago and back to the Farm Shop where I found the reaper sauce and found this...

In the car straight after, driving back to the cottage, the good lady asked what it was like? So I popped the cap and took a swig and said, "yeah not bad. Not as hot as the Reaper. Bit tingly..."

FB_IMG_1653228606228.jpg

I think she was asking if I'd tried it before, and not to try it there and then, by her reaction. Hmm..

Last edited:

Latest Threads