Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your toolbox...

That's right, sanding is putting small scratches in the wood, a scraper will leave a perfectly smooth surface - makes a big difference when it's polished.

The problem with scrapers is that they are flexed when scraping (generally), so they leave slightly concave scrape marks. Not usually that big a deal, but depending on the wood, and more particularly, grain orientation, might be seen. For 90% of jobs, I sand to 320 grit, varnish, and sand between coats to 4/500 grit. Wipe off the residue. 3 coats, jobza. The other 10% is usually looking for some kind of rougher finish anyway, and is generally oiled and/or waxed.
 
The problem with scrapers is that they are flexed when scraping (generally), so they leave slightly concave scrape marks. Not usually that big a deal, but depending on the wood, and more particularly, grain orientation, might be seen. For 90% of jobs, I sand to 320 grit, varnish, and sand between coats to 4/500 grit. Wipe off the residue. 3 coats, jobza. The other 10% is usually looking for some kind of rougher finish anyway, and is generally oiled and/or waxed.
CD833AAE-B3CD-4ADB-ADD5-679AB00E3AC5.jpeg

These give a flatter finish. Sharpening the blade is a black art though...
 

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In fact, can you name any item, object or artefact made of metal, that couldn't equally well be made of wood?
Challenge Accepted!

Space shuttle (or other reusable space craft)
Saucepan, kettle etc.
Electrical wire / cable
Magnet
Internal combustion engine
Battery
Solar panel
Steam engine
Leatherman multitool.
Rifle barrel


(This post was brought to you with a large dollop of smartarrsiness. You're welcome).
 

Slime

LE
really?? never heard of this and my late father apprenticed as a joiner in the fifties and spent the last few decades of his working life running bespoke joinery firms. not saying you're wrong, but definitely not the way they did things at his places.

all his power tools were either makita or bosch - never saw him buy or use anything else. he did have cabinets full of snap on as well, but he acquired those in the sixties when him and his brother used to race. (although he stayed friends with the reps - I have a leatherman super here he gave me years ago from a drawer full of freebies he was given).

I've picked up a few bits over the last cople of years as I've needed to do things - I've got a Bosch green drill/driver setup and their multitool like the Fein one someone posted - the drill from Amazon and the multitool from Argos, both sets around half price. if you don't need the pro gear then it's worth keeping an eye on their deals. I've got a few bits of screwdrivers and the like for pc builds and electronic work, but as they don't particularly need to stand abuse they've usually come from maplins and the pound shop.

As per a previous comment, a set of card scrapers are ideal for getting a smooth surface, and they are also excellent for dealing with ‘raised grain’ due to liquids like white spirits being used to remove dye.

However, the thread is about a tool list, so sanders are still ideal as we could be talking about any material, not just wood, plus, sanders can be used for shaping as well as smoothing :)
 

Scunner

Old-Salt
the Halfords pro range has a better rep in the motor trade that the chinesium sheite snap on now sell
I spent loads of cash on Snap On stuff when I was an apprentice a million years ago, still got most of it in the home workshop, but we have been using the Halfords Pro stuff at work for a few years now and it's quite impressive. Broke one ratchet which was replaced free and one 30mm spanner which I welded back together because I needed to use it. The socket sets have a few odd socket size choices, but other than that they are very good.
As for Snap On stuff? Overpriced and the quality went downhill years ago. Got some doubles bought at different times and the older tools are much better quality and will fit in tight spaces where later Snap On spanners and sockets won't due to increased wall thickness.
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Challenge Accepted!

Space shuttle (or other reusable space craft)
Saucepan, kettle etc.
Electrical wire / cable
Magnet
Internal combustion engine
Battery
Solar panel
Steam engine
Leatherman multitool.
Rifle barrel


(This post was brought to you with a large dollop of smartarrsiness. You're welcome).



you can make a wooden cylinder head - for a while anyway...
 

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

you can make a wooden cylinder head - for a while anyway...
Yes, and you could make a space craft out of balsa wood, but it wouldn't be very reusable.
 

morsk

LE
2.JPG
 

Attachments

  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 9

morsk

LE
For fixing computers n stuff
 

Chef

LE

you can make a wooden cylinder head - for a while anyway...

I knew a man who built a wooden car, wooden chassis, wooden wheel, wooden engine.



Wooden go.

Hat coat sedan chair.
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Left hand locker, right hand door, big dent.

Any connection?

Nah. It was delivered like that. Managed to blag a sizeable discount as a result.

Last big shouty match I had in there was while fitting some heavy duty sills to the Landy.

Involved drilling through hardened galvanised chassis, use of a Jack, large amounts of twatting my swede on metal etc.

There was a lot of swearing.
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top