Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your toolbox...

neil82

Old-Salt
Get yourself down to your local car boot sale.

There is always a gypsy selling stolen Makita gear.

You need a decent impact driver and an SDS drill in your life.

There’s usually some old codger selling decent vintage stuff made out of proper Sheffield steel as well.

Better to have a drawer full of ancient high quality mismatched imperial spanners, than a brand new shiny set of Halfords shit made of butter steel.
the Halfords pro range has a better rep in the motor trade that the chinesium sheite snap on now sell

Change 'Just like' to Unlike' and you'd be right... The Halfords stuff is decent quality, one of the advantages of the spotty kids running the shops is that they'll swap broken stuff without question. According to one of the calibration guys, the Halford torque wrenches are good quality and usually pass with little or no adjustment.
I refuse to buy Snap-on tools and have done for many years, most of mine are Britool (the original stuff, not the chinky crap) or Facom. .....
View attachment 494815

In the 50’s 60’s the quality names were Britool , Spear and Jackson and Stanley …. " Buy these and they will last a lifetime " … a claim that proved correct as far as I was concerned .

Belt sanders... they do have their uses. It seems I have 7 of them :)

IMG_1502.JPG

#1 is a cheap RIDGID I bought that was 110V. It's OK, but not nearly man enough for some jobs.

#2 was my grandfather's, a Bosch PBS75. 240V mains, a bit restrictive in my shop. I do have 240V, but not nearly as many as 110s.

#3 is a Bosch 1274, a 110V version of the PBS75, which I found used for $50; they'd been discontinued for years.

#4 is a Porter-Cable 504 Locomotive. The King Daddy of portable belt sanders. Found it used for a few bucks. Had to have it, the guy didn't know what he had. This thing weighs about 10lbs and when last sold about 10 years ago, they were something like $600.

#5 is a Porter-Cable BB10, a predecessor of the 504. It was given to me. Intention is to polish it up. The dust bag is shot, but the metalwork will polish up.

#6 at the back is a bench top Chinese turd that I just need to donate to charity.

#7 is below, a bench top oscillating belt/spindle sander. Got it at the RIDGID outlet for 35% of retail price. It's quite good, but dust collection is not.
IMG_1504.JPG

Back in Jan or Feb this year I found a used dual drum sander. It does really well until it doesn't, which is when it rips the ferking sanding rolls at $10 a pop. Astute readers may notice I have christened it appropriately.

IMG_1505.JPG

Polyester

War Hero
If only I could afford Clifton, though I do have a 3110 which is really bloody handy. Most of my planes are vintage Stanley and Records. Chisels are Ashley Iles, saws Veritas, along with marking stuff. Power tools are all Makita except for the Domino

But yes I have a hand tool problem and not enough space.
Almost exactly the same here. Some hand me down record, marples and estwing and a lot of car boot/ auction joinery tools. All old and used but sharp.
But as we both know, it’s not about the tools. :)

Slime

LE
Belt sanders... they do have their uses. It seems I have 7 of them :)

View attachment 494841

#1 is a cheap RIDGID I bought that was 110V. It's OK, but not nearly man enough for some jobs.

#2 was my grandfather's, a Bosch PBS75. 240V mains, a bit restrictive in my shop. I do have 240V, but not nearly as many as 110s.

#3 is a Bosch 1274, a 110V version of the PBS75, which I found used for $50; they'd been discontinued for years.

#4 is a Porter-Cable 504 Locomotive. The King Daddy of portable belt sanders. Found it used for a few bucks. Had to have it, the guy didn't know what he had. This thing weighs about 10lbs and when last sold about 10 years ago, they were something like $600.

#5 is a Porter-Cable BB10, a predecessor of the 504. It was given to me. Intention is to polish it up. The dust bag is shot, but the metalwork will polish up.

#6 at the back is a bench top Chinese turd that I just need to donate to charity.

#7 is below, a bench top oscillating belt/spindle sander. Got it at the RIDGID outlet for 35% of retail price. It's quite good, but dust collection is not.
View attachment 494843

Back in Jan or Feb this year I found a used dual drum sander. It does really well until it doesn't, which is when it rips the ferking sanding rolls at $10 a pop. Astute readers may notice I have christened it appropriately.

View attachment 494839

That pic is a good showcase for blue and green Bosch tools.

If anyone is car booting or buying second hand its worth knowing that even if identical in shape, the green ones are DIY tools, and the blue ones professional tools.

Polyester

War Hero

If anyone is car booting or buying second hand its worth knowing that even if identical in shape, the green ones are DIY tools, and the blue ones professional tools.
You raise an interesting point actually slime, a lot of professional outfits never sand wood. It’s viewed as untradesmanlike. They scrape wood. Sometimes using a special wood plane or scraper plate but often just a piece of cut glass. It’s seriously effective!

That might be the current practice in Europe, but a) not sure it’s always been like that and b) not in the US.

The green one as I said was my Grandfather’s, he passed away in 1989, so I’m guessing this was probably from about 1985, and I only recall green tools back then.

In the US, there’s only the blue ones, and they have a Professional warranty, they will advance replace a tool if it fails. I had a 12V driver and used that warranty, it worked great. But it’s only a year. I had another 12V driver that shit the bed the other week, and must have been 7 or 8 years old. Not worth repairing, just threw it away. I can’t tell any meaningful difference between the green and blue sanders, but the blue one’s discontinued now.

Can’t really say I’ve been impressed with Bosch tools. I have some 18V cordless tools and the drills are utterly shit. The recip saw is not great, the circular saw is OK and the jigsaw is indeed good. Like @Guns, Milwaukee for me from now on.

You raise an interesting point actually slime, a lot of professional outfits never sand wood. It’s viewed as untradesmanlike. They scrape wood. Sometimes using a special wood plane or scraper plate but often just a piece of cut glass. It’s seriously effective!
Purdeys, Holland & Holland, Rigbys and Boss do, £4000 bits of wood.

Polyester

War Hero
Purdeys, Holland & Holland, Rigbys and Boss do, £4000 bits of wood.
Do what? Use sandpaper? Am I correct in thinking that they are gunmakers?

Edited 2 add: had a quick look and you are quite right. They do use sandpaper but it’s still not universal amongst fine furniture or architectural joinery makers.

Last edited:
A few years back I was driving around town, generally being sweary at old cnuts towing caravans around and getting in the way.

I hadn’t even noticed to be honest, such is the severity of my service induced Tourette’s.

One of the sprogs pipes up for the back:

“Daddy what’s a fogwood?”

She’d misheard me say fuckwit.

Of course I corrected her and then told her never to say any of the words that daddy says while he’s driving.

Fogwood is now our generic swear word for when the kids are within earshot.
I was driving along the road between Keswick and Ambleside (A592 I think) when a bunch of motorbikes screamed past startling me, I muttered w@nkers! under my breath, I looked in the rear view mirror to see hoggtoddler fast asleep in his car seat and thought nothing more. A few days later, hoggtoddler was wide awake in seat when a motorbike overtook us, quite loudly he pronounced, look - w@nker daddy! That was his new word that he used for weeks afterwards! :D

Carbon 6

War Hero
IMG_1429.JPG

I've always been a stickler for torquing every bolt and the Tohnichi brand are the best I've found.

Incidentally, they were recommended to me by a bloke who was Carl Fogerty's Ducati Ohlins suspension technician, which is sort of humorous. He's a Canadian suspension guru using Japanese torque wrenches, working for an English racer who's riding an Italian motorcycle with Swedish suspension.

Just go for a skip dive round the back of your local DIY store , every power tool you see on display goes in the bin when they bring out a new range, they can't sell them because they cut the cable off or lost the warranty paperwork and the staff are not allowed to have them.

I pulled out the entire Makita range a couple of years ago from a well known DIY store, no good to me since I've already got the Hitachi lot and the Bosch lot and the Worx lot.

Not to mention all the customer returns and damaged stock tools that lurk in the bins.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

really?? never heard of this and my late father apprenticed as a joiner in the fifties and spent the last few decades of his working life running bespoke joinery firms. not saying you're wrong, but definitely not the way they did things at his places.

all his power tools were either makita or bosch - never saw him buy or use anything else. he did have cabinets full of snap on as well, but he acquired those in the sixties when him and his brother used to race. (although he stayed friends with the reps - I have a leatherman super here he gave me years ago from a drawer full of freebies he was given).

I've picked up a few bits over the last cople of years as I've needed to do things - I've got a Bosch green drill/driver setup and their multitool like the Fein one someone posted - the drill from Amazon and the multitool from Argos, both sets around half price. if you don't need the pro gear then it's worth keeping an eye on their deals. I've got a few bits of screwdrivers and the like for pc builds and electronic work, but as they don't particularly need to stand abuse they've usually come from maplins and the pound shop.

That's right, sanding is putting small scratches in the wood, a scraper will leave a perfectly smooth surface - makes a big difference when it's polished.

Latest Threads