Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your toolbox...

And this is my tool box.

Owners of Snap On trolleys will laugh at the quality, but the whole set up was under a grand and is more than adequate for my needs.

It currently looks nothing like this and is covered in bits of half finished projects and surrounded by paint tins.
View attachment 494670

You don't get long between the floor paint drying and the whole place filling up with shite!

Gen question - and off topic but- Have you ever found any 'time capsules' in your house / things/ coins in the grounds that were dropped hundreds of years ago?

I found one of my own recently, a handful of tools I'd boxed-in under the bath about fifteen years ago. I've got so much stuff I hadn't missed anything!

Charles1948

Old-Salt
My dad was a builder and says he found many interesting things behind old fireplaces etc etc.
When he re-did the fireplace at my mum's house a few years ago discovered the remains of one of my hamsters that had escaped when I was 8/9...and had then been hastily replaced with another one without me knowing. I only found out about this a few years ago.
I once left 10 gold Krugerrands hidden up the back of a fireplace in a bed-sit.

Or as one of those urban myth exchanges goes

U S CVS

"What's it like to sail with the biggest navy on the planet?

RN frigate

"Very nice thanks. What's it like to sail with the best?

Must have been a while back. The only CVS’s the USN had were some converted Essex class, and the last one decommissioned in 1974 as a CVS. Lexington continued until 1991, but had been converted from CVS to training ship in the late 60s.

My dad was a builder and says he found many interesting things behind old fireplaces etc etc.

People always paid the tallyman at the front door and occasionally dropped the coin down the gaps in the threshold floorboards.
Found lots of halfcrowns, florens, shillings and the odd silver joey.

ifixit tool kit, amazing for anything tiny.
After that I'm a tool whore for anything German or Japanese.
Knipex cobra waterpump pliers and a multitip screwdriver and the world is your oyster.

Charles1948

Old-Salt
ifixit tool kit, amazing for anything tiny.
After that I'm a tool whore for anything German or Japanese.
Knipex cobra waterpump pliers and a multitip screwdriver and the world is your oyster.

When you mention "German" and "Japanese" equipment, does it actually come from those countries. Or nowadays, is it really from China?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Gen question - and off topic but- Have you ever found any 'time capsules' in your house / things/ coins in the grounds that were dropped hundreds of years ago?

Some metal detectorists found an 18th century Spanish coin on the farm.

This ties in with the period when the house was lived in by the wife’s 8ish x great grandfather who was the governor of Barbados.

Can only assume the coin has some sort of Caribbean connection. **** knows why else you’d find a 250 year old Spanish coin in the middle of a field in Cumbria.

Otherwise just your usual stonemasons marks dotted around. This gaff was never really built, it evolved from a Roman fort into a medieval fort into a house. There are bits from every period. Some of the bricks probably came out of Hadrian’s Wall.

But yeah, no mummified cats in the wall or boxes filled with treasure. They’d have been found by now.

In fact, can you name any item, object or artefact made of metal, that couldn't equally well be made of wood?
A kettle.

Tinfoil

Wires.

A fireguard.

A knife.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies!

Truxx

LE
Must have been a while back. The only CVS’s the USN had were some converted Essex class, and the last one decommissioned in 1974 as a CVS. Lexington continued until 1991, but had been converted from CVS to training ship in the late 60s.
Urban myth....

Might have been some other MGB*

* MGB - Muckle Great Boat

Slime

LE
Now I am in my mid-30's, I decided it's time to re-evaluate certain parts of my life. Starting with the important things, I've cropped my slightly receding hair to a grade 3 and now I come to the second-most important thing.

What DIY / tools should I possess? I'm looking for stuff that I will either probably need to use a fair amount, or stuff that will allow me to fix / do simple things without calling out a professional (eg the Basin Wrench saved me a lot of ££ on a plumber when changing my taps over).

I currently have (that I can remember):

An array of spanners
Set of Chisels
Many allen keys
20" Wood saw
Several junior hacksaws
12" Tenon saw
18v Cordless drill
Many screwdrivers
Leatherman
Needle-nose / normal pliers
The phone number of several actual professionals
Couple of claw hammers
Soldering Iron
Belt Sander (on order)
Basin Wrench
Heat gun

So over to you - what more do I need / would you have for easy jobs / general maintenance?

It’s a bit worrying that your only sander will be a belt sander.
They are the most bitey and dangerous of all the sanders, and would require any smaller work to be clamped to avoid it shooting off like a bullet.

A nice orbital sander would be a useful jack of all trades sander as it can do most things.

A traditional finishing sander is useful, but isn’t always ideal for wood that will be varnished or dyed as it can leave spiral marks in the wood.

A mouse sander is a bit small, and a finger sander is only for a narrow range of jobs...............But you chose the wood eating, ready to run away at any time model as your starter.

Better buy a decent first aid kit too :)

Slime

LE
@Tappet

If you will only be rarely using power tools that makes life cheaper :)

Professional power tools tend to be lighter in weight, and with better wound motors than DIY tools, but if you won’t be holding something for many hours at a time the extra weight shouldn’t be an issue. Similarly, if you only drill ten holes at a time and not two hundred then a cheap motor won’t overheat.

Places like Aldi sell cheap power tools, but they have a 3 year guarantee.
Near enough all of my tools are Makita, but I could buy maybe five Aldi tools for the price of one Makita item.

Don't the above suggested arrays of tools, result from our modern practice of making things out of hard metal?

Suppose we made things from a softer substance, like wood. Wood is a very strong material. And it can be shaped, and moulded, into all kinds of useful objects, such as furniture, ships and buildings - using only the gentle abrasion of sandpaper.

Even military weapons can be made of wood. Traditionally, the Army used wooden bows and arrows. The Navy sailed in wooden ships. And the Air Force flew in aeroplanes made of wood, like the Sopwith Camel in WW1, and the wooden-wonder "Mosquito" in WW2.

In fact, can you name any item, object or artefact made of metal, that couldn't equally well be made of wood?
A wood burning stove?

Blogg

LE
Oi ! Have you been ratching in my toolbox !! ?

No, sound advice from the source of all wisdom, YouTube

It’s a bit worrying that your only sander will be a belt sander.
They are the most bitey and dangerous of all the sanders, and would require any smaller work to be clamped to avoid it shooting off like a bullet.

A nice orbital sander would be a useful jack of all trades sander as it can do most things.
I forgot - I do have a multi-plate sander (Circular, rectangular and pointy heads) as well, up in the loft.

Latest Threads