Show me your toolbox...

Now I am in my mid-30's, I decided it's time to re-evaluate certain parts of my life. Starting with the important things, I've cropped my slightly receding hair to a grade 3 and now I come to the second-most important thing.

What DIY / tools should I possess? I'm looking for stuff that I will either probably need to use a fair amount, or stuff that will allow me to fix / do simple things without calling out a professional (eg the Basin Wrench saved me a lot of ££ on a plumber when changing my taps over).

I currently have (that I can remember):

An array of spanners
Set of Chisels
Many allen keys
20" Wood saw
Several junior hacksaws
12" Tenon saw
18v Cordless drill
Many screwdrivers
Leatherman
Needle-nose / normal pliers
The phone number of several actual professionals
Couple of claw hammers
Soldering Iron
Belt Sander (on order)
Basin Wrench
Heat gun

So over to you - what more do I need / would you have for easy jobs / general maintenance?

Now I am in my mid-30's, I decided it's time to re-evaluate certain parts of my life. Starting with the important things, I've cropped my slightly receding hair to a grade 3 and now I come to the second-most important thing.

What DIY / tools should I possess? I'm looking for stuff that I will either probably need to use a fair amount, or stuff that will allow me to fix / do simple things without calling out a professional (eg the Basin Wrench saved me a lot of ££ on a plumber when changing my taps over).

I currently have (that I can remember):

An array of spanners
Set of Chisels
Many allen keys
20" Wood saw
Several junior hacksaws
12" Tenon saw
18v Cordless drill
Many screwdrivers
Leatherman
Needle-nose / normal pliers
The phone number of several actual professionals
Couple of claw hammers
Soldering Iron
Belt Sander (on order)
Basin Wrench
Heat gun

So over to you - what more do I need / would you have for easy jobs / general maintenance?
A Megga.( as you just never know when you might need to give something a belt of a gazillion volts.) i wish I’d kept the one I had. Such fun.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Get yourself down to your local car boot sale.

There is always a gypsy selling stolen Makita gear.

You need a decent impact driver and an SDS drill in your life.

There’s usually some old codger selling decent vintage stuff made out of proper Sheffield steel as well.

Better to have a drawer full of ancient high quality mismatched imperial spanners, than a brand new shiny set of Halfords shit made of butter steel.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And this is my tool box.

Owners of Snap On trolleys will laugh at the quality, but the whole set up was under a grand and is more than adequate for my needs.

It currently looks nothing like this and is covered in bits of half finished projects and surrounded by paint tins.
E06EB4D7-FC7A-48C4-9690-58A7B9C83506.jpeg
297A7089-161B-4C82-8F79-912E56AD5A07.jpeg

Polyester

Old-Salt
And this is my tool box.

Owners of Snap On trolleys will laugh at the quality, but the whole set up was under a grand and is more than adequate for my needs.

It currently looks nothing like this and is covered in bits of half finished projects and surrounded by paint tins.
View attachment 494670View attachment 494671
I particularly like the word ”F***” on that Joist. That’s class.

Polyester

Old-Salt
A word that is commonly shouted in my workshop.
Yep. It’s a great word and fixes loads of stuff.

@Tappet, I don’t much go in for electric tools these days but if there was one I’d keep it would be a Fein multi tool. Got me out of the shit more times than I could mention. Noisy and blades can be pricey but a really versatile bit of kit. You get cheaper versions in wickes etc.

Attachments

clanky

War Hero
Cordless multi tool
Decent quality mitre or table saw
Decent set of sharp chisels
Sah and corner clamps
Put the belt sander in the bin.

Truxx

LE
I particularly like the word ”F***” on that Joist. That’s class.
Very interesting thing, joists, in this part ofthe world.

A huge number are actually second hand bits of ships.

Once upon a time all timber cut was owed to the navy. The only time anything decent was available for building was when ships went in for refit.

The beams in one of my barns in warcop were dated 1838 and had all sorts of slots and witness marks that had nowt to do with barns.

Yep. It’s a great word and fixes loads of stuff.

@Tappet, I don’t much go in for electric tools these days but if there was one I’d keep it would be a Fein multi tool. Got me out of the shit more times than I could mention. Noisy and blades can be pricey but a really versatile bit of kit. You get cheaper versions in wickes etc.
A very handy piece of kit. A client of mine gave me one of those this summer as a bonus, and it's surprising how much I've used it.

Truxx

LE
A very handy piece of kit. A client of mine gave me one of those this summer as a bonus, and it's surprising how much I've used it.
One of the very few electric gadgets I have that can manage ash timber. I grudgingly acknowledge that they are quite handy.

Latest Threads