Should we pay tax whilst on Op tours?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NickP, Jun 5, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has been highlighted that the USA soldier does not pay income tax when deployed on operations such as Iraq.
    How do you feel about it?
    Should Mr Blair give the Brit Sqaddie a fair deal?
  2. let's be a bit realistic here - do you mean like op Granby etc or Op fresco? will never work in my opinion, and if it does I want my rebate!! ;D
  3. trouble is, when you imagine how many of us are away on ops at any one time, then work out how much tax the govt would lose, it aint gonna happen, then how far do you back date it? 1st Gulf? Falklands? Korea? further back? If the govt wanted to give us any cash, then they would give us the money they get for each soldier serving on UN and NATO tours.
  4. If you ever wondered why the Yanks wear their body armour and helmets all the time in safe areas, like Bos, its because if it declared a "war" zone, they get TDY and Tax free earnings. (TDY is an extra payment when away from home station, like Germany or America to help pay for those little "extras") And if its a war zone then they have to ware the gear. Come to think of it if we got the extra bung they got I would quite happily wear the stuff to bed!!! :lol:
  5. Cos everybody hates them
  6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Even their own sentries shoot at them (first American deaths in Vietnam were two chaps dropped by their own sentry) and of course all the soldiers like to frag their officers and that's when their Warhogs are engaging their own tankies...