• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Should we do this in the UK?

• Thread starter error_unknown
  • Start date
E

error_unknown

Study planned for France's imams
By Caroline Wyatt
BBC News, Paris

France has proposed practical measures to ensure the country's Muslim prayer leaders speak French and understand France's way of life.
In a newspaper interview, Interior Minister Dominique de Villepin said that from September, future imams must study law, civics and history.

Three-quarters of France's 1,200 imams are not French, and a third do not speak French, he told Le Parisien.
France has expelled several imams for preaching contrary to French law.

Mr de Villepin said it was unacceptable that so many Muslim prayer leaders in France do not speak the language of the country in which they live and preach.

He said imams must learn French - and receive further education in other subjects at French universities.

So the future imam, the ones we are putting forward and training right now, will be imams who are open to secularism and modernity
Dalil Boubakeur,
President of the French Council of the Muslim Faith

The interior minister said that would help ensure that they could integrate and further that process among the country's five million Muslims.
France has expelled several imams this year, for preaching contrary to French law or for posing a security threat by supporting fundamentalist forms of Islam.

Mr de Villepin was keen to stress that he remained committed to helping Islam find its place in French society, saying that most French Muslims practised a tolerant and peaceful form of their religion.
Dalil Boubakeur, president of the French Council of the Muslim Faith and head of Paris' main mosque, said he was confident that a new generation of imams being trained in France would be open to modernity and secularism.

"All our staff and students are now graduates from French universities. They have acquired knowledge that has to be refined and deepened in the areas that will affect their work," he said.

"So the future imams, the ones we are putting forward and training right now, will be imams who are open to secularism and modernity."

Intolerance

He said this was the best way to block "not only those ignorant imams, but also those who have ulterior motives and who would like to introduce into this country fundamentalism, archaism, or Islamic schools which are completely out-of-date, completely stuck in the past and totally alien to France".

Preventing intolerance on all sides has become one of the biggest challenges faced by the current French government.

Some in France fear that young Muslims - especially those in deprived suburbs - are becoming radicalised by the preaching of foreign imams.

And many Muslims say they are seeing an increase in Islamophobia among the French.

Mr de Villepin's predecessor in the job, Nicolas Sarkozy, provoked controversy when he suggested that mosques should receive state funding, but France is now having to contemplate new solutions to a such challenges.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2004/12/08 11:14:19 GMT

© BBC MMIV
[/quote]

well at least the frogs have grown some balls to deal with this problem!!

i wish labour would, although their leaders (the unions, humans right lobby and lawyers) would have something to say about it!!

agent smith

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Is the Muslim population of the UK as large though? and how exactly do you enforce the education?

Will they still be allowed to preach in Arabic?

Semmy

Old-Salt
I did hear mutterings that Germany was going to enforce preaching in German too..... Bit of a common theme perhaps?

I think the original language of Quran should be allowed - but perhaps the rest of the service that does not involve the direct read-outs should be given in the state language. The practicalities of the whole thing may prove to be a bit dodgy.

E

error_unknown

Shagane said:
I think the original language of Quran should be allowed - but perhaps the rest of the service that does not involve the direct read-outs should be given in the state language. The practicalities of the whole thing may prove to be a bit dodgy.
I think one of the central tenents of Islam is that no translation of the Koran is allowed, Arabic only....

Interesting.. " Re-education " for Muslim clerics..

State intervention to ' modify 'their beliefs and relgious understanding...

Don't we condemn China for ' nationalizing ' the Catholic Church and deciding which ' properly educated ' priests may be allowed to practise and preach the ' truth ' [ as China sees it..] so that the Government isn't ' undermined ' by clerics who tell their flock ' modalities of behaviour ' that may be contrary to state policy?..

Of, course.. France's government is nothing like China's so its all right then..

Devil's Advocate/Rocketeer

Rocketeer said:
Interesting.. " Re-education " for Muslim clerics..

State intervention to ' modify 'their beliefs and relgious understanding...

Don't we condemn China for ' nationalizing ' the Catholic Church and deciding which ' properly educated ' priests may be allowed to practise and preach the ' truth ' [ as China sees it..] so that the Government isn't ' undermined ' by clerics who tell their flock ' modalities of behaviour ' that may be contrary to state policy?..

Of, course.. France's government is nothing like China's so its all right then..

Devil's Advocate/Rocketeer
Quite so.

If you support this you won't mind all of our expats on the Costa del Sol being forced to learn Spanish and not being allowed to hear an English-language C of E service in their expat church then?

France's xenophobia is nothing to admire.

Hmmm, from the way I'm reading it the article simply states that the imams must learn French, it doesn't mention anywhere that they must preach in French, or am I missing something? Frankly, I agree with it and I'd say that our Ex-Pats should probably have the decency to learn the language of the country in which they reside as well.

E

error_unknown

A generaly unknown point is that in "most" western countries (ie including Oz and Kiwi eg) "clerics" of any religion are exempt from "any" immigration rules... :?

i have a smashin idea, right we are all pis sed off with muslim radicals, can we not arrange a festival, kind of a religous journey to mecca or whatever and then send in some instant sunshine? just a thought!

bye
nice talkin to you all

Dave

A Turkish Kurd over in germany (also born there) has just been given a two year sentence for his behavior and on completion will be deported to Turkey. To be short ............he was a pain in the arrse. Parting words of the judge were:

If you come to this country, you are to obide by our laws and remember that your own culture gives you no automatic rights as mitigating circumstances.

Top Judge.......Gets my vote. Now Mr Bliar, Sort out your home office and teach the PC judges to pass sentences that people deserve.

If we were to do this in Turkey......We would be 5 stone lighter, bald, buggered and left to rot.

I am not saying we should lower our standards to that of cultures that could consider such punishments as lawful. But a sentance that corresponds to the crime should be given and not watered down just because of their religion.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
bit less harsh than the comments from supt Dave Keller of manchester police , who "allegedly" in reference to the muslim festival of eid , this week said.
"we should build towers with machine guns in to keep them out of manchester"
the beeb are bottling the actual comment , but 5 live broadcast it earlier :D

harsh ................... but fair ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
shortfuse said:
bit less harsh than the comments from supt Dave Keller of manchester police , who "allegedly" in reference to the muslim festival of eid , this week said.
"we should build towers with machine guns in to keep them out of manchester"
the beeb are bottling the actual comment , but 5 live broadcast it earlier :D

harsh ................... but fair ?
According to Hollywood, the septics seem to vote for the local sheriff in some parts of the US.

Does the above indicate that Supt. Keller is canvassing for votes now ?

:wink:

Latest Threads