Should we ban the burqa?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by IndependentBoffin, Apr 19, 2011.

?
  1. Yes.

108 vote(s)
    83.1%
  2. No.

22 vote(s)
    16.9%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/allison-pearson/8449101/We-too-should-ban-the-burka.html

What do you all think about this one? Personally, I am divided. On one hand I would like to see the burqa banned as the columnist rightly points out - it is a symbol of subjugation. Fully covered, they lose their identities and no wonder they are treated like cattle with few rights. Women who wear the burqa/niqab may be fearful of what might happen if they refuse to do so. However if it is made illegal then they can always tell their husband/brother/father that they are just obeying the infidel's laws.

On the other hand I think it is none of the state's business to tell people what to wear. It is a slippery slope best not trodden on.

2. I don't think we should; we fight the Taliban for forcing women to wear them, but we're going to force them not to wear them? No logic in that.

A lot of it comes from people thinking that if they don't like it, it should be legislated against.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes, excellent points on both counts. We would be exchanging one form of slavery with our own.

And our current morass of endless legislation can in part be traced back to people making laws against things they don't like other people doing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Is that why the British army is in Afghanistan?

5. I say ban it,but not for the ugly ***** that want to wear them.

6. If I walked down Royal Avenue in Belfast in a balaclava with my face hidden I would soon end up scooped by Robert, cuffed and taken away to a custody suite or even transferred to Antrim Serious Crime for an interview without coffee. Over here it is unlawful to own a Balacava whether you a John Bon Jovi or Loyalist caveman. I am not a great fan of the French but totally agree with their ban on the Burqa. Christian folk in quite a few Arabian Countries have been jailed for having Bibles and their own prayer groups. They ban other Religions in their own countries but wish to impress and dictate their Sharia law in the free West. It is very duplicitous. They are happy to see male and female Allied Military give them a wee dig out when they are in diffs but treat women like 3rd class citizens at home and abroad.

7. On a personnal note I don't have a problem with the Abaya, However I can understand the concern surrounding the Hijab. It can appear as intimidating to some until you get used to it.

At the same point I do feel if its allowed then the cross should also be accepted and be allowed to be worn/displayed without negative comments.

Ultimatly I think the biggest problem is lack of integration. Divison between communities raises suscpision.

8. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

The burka is a singularly divisive pice of clothing. It cuts off one of the main means of communication for humans - facial recognition. For that reason it should be banned.

Its also rather extreme Islam as the Koran advises to dress modestly.

9. Why should you ban what people wear? If it poses a security risk e.g. an airport, then a female member of staff can take them into a seperate room to check them out. Sadly if a ban came in place men would simply stop their wives going out in public; the opression wouldn't just end with a law, they need to be educated about western liberalism.

10. Equally, it could be argued that the rest of society is paying the cost of allowing the individual preferences of those who insist on hiding their features through the additional burden of additional security.

France has got this one right

11. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

When the radiological device goes off in Western Europe that causes huge numbers of casualties, all this shit will be moot. Endless hand-wringing, group hugs and HR legislation prevent any 'crack down' on individual freedom of expression - religious or otherwise. I estimate 4 more years (of an original 10 year prediction for such an atrocity) and things should change. A climate of pervasive fear is required to pass through such a change, and as we are clearly not as xenophobic and rabidly nationalistic like the French, only something immense would allow for this kind of change in individual freedoms.

12. I love 'em, always chuck that little pickle though. Plenty sauce and onion.......sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. How is it an additional burden to be taken to one side and looked at by a female member of staff? It is already the case that females can be thoroughly searched in seperate rooms by female staff.

14. possibly because we wouldn't need quite as many "security staff" hanging around airports and the like without a sizeable percentasge of the population wandering about with their facial features completely obscured?

15. Ban it. It's not religious or a 'racial' right. It's the subjugation of women and has no place in our free society.

• Like Like x 5