Should we ban the burqa?

Should we ban the burqa?

• Yes.

Votes: 117 82.4%
  • No.

Votes: 25 17.6%

• Total voters
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/allison-pearson/8449101/We-too-should-ban-the-burka.html

“We cannot have in our country women who are prisoners behind netting, cut off from all social life, deprived of identity. That is not the idea that the French republic has of women’s dignity.” - President Sarkozy, France
The burka and the niqab should be banned in Britain. They are a barrier to integration, a statement of hostility to the host country. Poor women who have been brainwashed into hiding their faces are victims, not martyrs. The burka is a not a sign of religion, but of subservience. When Atatürk outlawed the veil in Turkey in 1934 the result was a soaring rate of literacy among women and equality between the sexes was ushered in.
What do you all think about this one? Personally, I am divided. On one hand I would like to see the burqa banned as the columnist rightly points out - it is a symbol of subjugation. Fully covered, they lose their identities and no wonder they are treated like cattle with few rights. Women who wear the burqa/niqab may be fearful of what might happen if they refuse to do so. However if it is made illegal then they can always tell their husband/brother/father that they are just obeying the infidel's laws.

On the other hand I think it is none of the state's business to tell people what to wear. It is a slippery slope best not trodden on.

I don't think we should; we fight the Taliban for forcing women to wear them, but we're going to force them not to wear them? No logic in that.

A lot of it comes from people thinking that if they don't like it, it should be legislated against.

I don't think we should; we fight the Taliban for forcing women to wear them, but we're going to force them not to wear them? No logic in that.

A lot of it comes from people thinking that if they don't like it, it should be legislated against.
Yes, excellent points on both counts. We would be exchanging one form of slavery with our own.

And our current morass of endless legislation can in part be traced back to people making laws against things they don't like other people doing.

Is that why the British army is in Afghanistan?

If I walked down Royal Avenue in Belfast in a balaclava with my face hidden I would soon end up scooped by Robert, cuffed and taken away to a custody suite or even transferred to Antrim Serious Crime for an interview without coffee. Over here it is unlawful to own a Balacava whether you a John Bon Jovi or Loyalist caveman. I am not a great fan of the French but totally agree with their ban on the Burqa. Christian folk in quite a few Arabian Countries have been jailed for having Bibles and their own prayer groups. They ban other Religions in their own countries but wish to impress and dictate their Sharia law in the free West. It is very duplicitous. They are happy to see male and female Allied Military give them a wee dig out when they are in diffs but treat women like 3rd class citizens at home and abroad.

On a personnal note I don't have a problem with the Abaya, However I can understand the concern surrounding the Hijab. It can appear as intimidating to some until you get used to it.

At the same point I do feel if its allowed then the cross should also be accepted and be allowed to be worn/displayed without negative comments.

Ultimatly I think the biggest problem is lack of integration. Divison between communities raises suscpision.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
The burka is a singularly divisive pice of clothing. It cuts off one of the main means of communication for humans - facial recognition. For that reason it should be banned.

Its also rather extreme Islam as the Koran advises to dress modestly.

Why should you ban what people wear? If it poses a security risk e.g. an airport, then a female member of staff can take them into a seperate room to check them out. Sadly if a ban came in place men would simply stop their wives going out in public; the opression wouldn't just end with a law, they need to be educated about western liberalism.

Equally, it could be argued that the rest of society is paying the cost of allowing the individual preferences of those who insist on hiding their features through the additional burden of additional security.

France has got this one right

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
When the radiological device goes off in Western Europe that causes huge numbers of casualties, all this shit will be moot. Endless hand-wringing, group hugs and HR legislation prevent any 'crack down' on individual freedom of expression - religious or otherwise. I estimate 4 more years (of an original 10 year prediction for such an atrocity) and things should change. A climate of pervasive fear is required to pass through such a change, and as we are clearly not as xenophobic and rabidly nationalistic like the French, only something immense would allow for this kind of change in individual freedoms.

Equally, it could be argued that the rest of society is paying the cost of allowing the individual preferences of those who insist on hiding their features through the additional burden of additional security.

France has got this one right
How is it an additional burden to be taken to one side and looked at by a female member of staff? It is already the case that females can be thoroughly searched in seperate rooms by female staff.

possibly because we wouldn't need quite as many "security staff" hanging around airports and the like without a sizeable percentasge of the population wandering about with their facial features completely obscured?

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
possibly because we wouldn't need quite as many "security staff" hanging around airports and the like without a sizeable percentasge of the population wandering about with their facial features completely obscured?
Only a tiny, tiny fraction of the UK, and indeed the travelling public - bear in mind these are GLOBAL travellers and not merely UK residents - wear facial coverings. Also, how many of the 9/11 bombers were wearing burqa's? And as to the 'sizeable percentage of the population' - could you indicate that percentage? I don't know where you are going with this one.

Because the majority of people want it? It such a terrible thing, this democracy.
So the fact that the NSDAP was legitimately elected, partly on the grounds of its anti-semitism, makes it right not wrong that over 6.6million died in concentration camps? Does the fact that slavery was widely accepted in the democratic western world make it right or wrong? I know these are extreme examples but the point stands

Perhaps you could equally quantify the "tiny fraction"?

As far as I am concerned I find the principle of female repression and the divisive nature of the burqa pretty offensive. As a personal expression of preference, that really needs no further qualification

As far as civilian security is concerned, many places insist that motorcyclists remove their helmets so that their features are visible. Try walking into a bank or shopping centre with one on, you'll get much the same reaction as if you were wearing a balaclava or ski mask. Yet people who wear headgear of any sort of religious reasons appear to be able to wear them wherever they wish with no restriction, thus increasing the need for more overt security measure (e.g. the need to have a female security officer around at all times). The cost of such additional security measures has to be borne by the rest of us.

Whether the direction I am taking is obscure or otherwise, my personal preference is to ban the damned thing for the symbol of repression that it is

So the fact that the NSDAP was legitimately elected, partly on the grounds of its anti-semitism, makes it right not wrong that over 6.6million died in concentration camps? Does the fact that slavery was widely accepted in the democratic western world make it right or wrong? I know these are extreme examples but the point stands

**** me 19 posts in and Godwins law strikes again.
Banning an item of clothing, by a goverment that everyone gets to vote for at least once every 5 years, is nothing like the extermination of an entire group of people led by a political party who took the right to vote away. So stop being a drama queen by comparing the two.
Should goverments just do what they like and ignore the electorate based on the fact that the Nazis once had people voting for them :roll: