Should US try to restore its absolute domination in the World? It is possible?

Should US try to restore its absolute domination in the World? It is possible?

• Yes, no doubt and soon the USA will be absolute dominant force.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • US should try but it is a very hard task that requires much time

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Rather should but hardly it is possible

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • US absolte domination is in the past and it is better not to spend resource for this hopeless task.

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters
If KGB_resident had not, clearly, got fat fingers and typed UK instead of, bafflingly, US, then this could have been an interesting thread with much sensible, well-informed discussion.

On the assumption that he did mean to type UK, the answer is, of course, a resounding 'yes'. After all, which right-minded folk wouldn't want to see the globe on teacher's desk restored to a fetching shade of pink?

"Care for another gin, Fortescue?"

USN vs Russia AAW should be fun. Anybody daft enough to take £10 on the USMC having the 2nd highest number of kills?

That's one of your manifold and manifest problems. Repetition without even reading, never mind understanding. Criminal = trial. Combatant, not surrendering or hors de combat = legitimate target. We can argue whether the characterisation of AQ leadership as combatants is legitimate but that's a different issue.

Essay question for the soviet propagandists: characterise the precise differences between the leaders of Chechen rebel groups, who (and whose families) can be massacred at will by Russian paramilitaries and Osama bin Laden, who should have be brought to trial.
Those Chechen separatists that surrended were faced court and in many cases were pardonned. Some were captured and also faced trial. Only those with arms in hands were killed if they didn't surrender.

As I understand there is a lot of combatants in US cities. So police use to shoot them without warning. In this context killing of unknown man in Pakistan who was named as 'Osamma bin Laden' is not surprising. Why it was needed to ask permission to act on sovereign Pakistani territory. Washington doesn't need any persission and order to kill anybody at will in any country.

1) Btw, Guantanamo style prison would be impossible on the US territory.
2) I have heard about polls among students in the USA - do they approve the strikes. And nobody in the USA cares that they are just cold blood killings of people, including women, children that haven't done anything wrong, didn't harm any American. Maybe slogan 'make America great again' should mean - return America to high principles of Western democracy, humanism, respect to the law? Or maybe Western democracy means killings without trial including killings of innocent women and children?
So long as it is Muslims being killed in far off places, I doubt that the majority of Americans will really care.

Yes, with US military presence it is a hard task. I believe that Russia should not supply Taliban with weapons (as a revenge for US support of 'freedom fighters'). Washington inevitably will fail in Afghanistan.
Russia may enjoy a bit of schadenfreude now and again, but they would not enjoy any advantage for themselves if Afghanistan were to descent into worse chaos. Problems in Afghanistan would spill over into the former Soviet Central Asian republics, and that is something that would affect Russian interests.

I believe that it is a matter of negotiations with Taliban. They are not terrorists. They never conducted any military operation outside their country. And they calimed that IS with not be tolerated in Afghanistan. Taliban could form stable government and not allow any bases of terrorists.
The Taliban were the ones running the country when bin Laden's organisation was based there. Their record on keeping dodgy characters out of the country is rather poor.

I suspect that they will eventually end up running the place again anyway, although perhaps from behind the scenes rather than openly.

They were by the way the ones who did things like destroying the ancient Buddhist monuments in Afghanistan. They're barbarians and I'm not sure they're much of an improvement over IS.

What do 'sophisticated' Russian gentlemen expect for afternoon tea when they meet their prospective inlaws?

I listen to the US political bag carriers loudly referring to the President as "the leader of the free world". A bit of an insult to all the other nations who are in the free world in that their leaders are disregarded and their electorate made to look as if it is looking up to the US president.

The US is no longer the nation it used to be 50, 40, even 30 years ago - although the bung accepting politicians are deluding themselves in the insulated bubble of DC that it is still business as usual. Someone said "Mexicans have all the jobs no one wants, and Indians have all the jobs everyone wants". Not too far from the truth as it appears, although the Mexicans are making inroads into the jobs that everyone wants too.

The demographics of the US have changed, and continue to change moving it away from a WASP controlled nation. Soccer, bear with me here, is growing as a nationally watched and participated in sport. Not because the WASP's are interested, nope, but because the footie mad hispanics are growing in numbers and footie is the sporting activity to use as the advertising transfer medium to catch their interest. A different demographic to the ones who watch American football and baseball and who went to Korea and Vietnam for their country.

Add to the growing hispanic population the also increasing Asian population. I see many successful Korean and Chinese business owners, FFS there is a Chinese kiddy about 19 years old who turns up at the local monthly car meet in his new Bentley Continental and his mate turns up in a McLaren. Factor in all the Indian Dr's and dentists that seem to be increasing in number every time I blink - the local hospital group is owned by a collection of Indian Dr's, not a WASP face in sight in the annual report.

I remember a conversation I had in the UK between about 6 or 7 blokes, two of whom were Sikh's I knew. At one point in the conversation it got around to military service vs. a commercially based career. One of the Sikh lads said, "nah, we run the shops, make money and we let the stupid people like Effendi go off and fight the wars". That is where the US is now, there are not so many people with a full attachment to the US anymore, the population has changed, diluted as the world has become smaller. I meet more successful imports in the higher echelons of business and running businesses than people born in the US

Times have changed, just like everywhere else.
If there is going to be any sort of poltical melt down in the US, I think it will come from the increasing political polarisation there. The levels of hysteria by both sides over the past decade are unimaginable to me here.

There's no sign of that abating. If anything it appears to be getting worse. The trend would seem to lead to increasing political violence. I won't be surprised to see this lead to organised gangs of political bully boys fighting it out on the streets and terrorism.

The other big problem is the degree to which money buys political power in the US. Again, that problem will be getting worse.

Those Chechen separatists that surrended were faced court and in many cases were pardonned. Some were captured and also faced trial. Only those with arms in hands were killed if they didn't surrender.

As I understand there is a lot of combatants in US cities. So police use to shoot them without warning. In this context killing of unknown man in Pakistan who was named as 'Osamma bin Laden' is not surprising. Why it was needed to ask permission to act on sovereign Pakistani territory. Washington doesn't need any persission and order to kill anybody at will in any country.
What is the official line in Moscow about the actions of the KGB's Alfa Team in regards to the assault on the Tajberg Palace in 1979, when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan?

If there is going to be any sort of poltical melt down in the US, I think it will come from the increasing political polarisation there. The levels of hysteria by both sides over the past decade are unimaginable to me here.

There's no sign of that abating. If anything it appears to be getting worse. The trend would seem to lead to increasing political violence. I won't be surprised to see this lead to organised gangs of political bully boys fighting it out on the streets and terrorism.

The other big problem is the degree to which money buys political power in the US. Again, that problem will be getting worse.
Money is political power - present encumbant of the big house is proof of that. Someone told me a, sort of, joke shortly after I moved to the US: If you want to be a millionaire just get elected as a Congressman for a term (2 years). My wife's employer has at least one former senator on the advisory payroll in almost every state - how much do they get? Well, Nixon, before he was President, was on the payroll of a Japanese car maker in the 60's and he was collecting over $100K annually back then - and at the time the car maker was not even doing business in the US, just laying the groundwork in readiness.

They seem to spend more time playing at Party Political point scoring than they do actually making sound decisions in the interests of the populace. And the ability of the President to appoint his bezzer's to important power wielding, political roles has always eluded me.

The Taliban were the ones running the country when bin Laden's organisation was based there. Their record on keeping dodgy characters out of the country is rather poor.
Let's recall facts.
War in Afghanistan (2001–2014) - Wikipedia
In 2001, U.S. President George W. Bush demanded that the Taliban hand over Osama bin Laden and expel al-Qaeda; bin Laden had already been wanted by the United Nations since 1999. The Taliban declined to extradite him unless given evidence of his involvement in the September 11 attacks[48] and also declined demands to extradite others on the same grounds.
There is some logic here. Present proof and only then demand extradiction. Still connection of Ossama bin Laden to 911 terror act is merely an allegation. It is not proved.
The request for evidence was dismissed by the U.S. as a delaying tactic, and on 7 October 2001 it launched Operation Enduring Freedom with the United Kingdom.
Well, now there are no any traces of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. So it is time to go home. No, Washington will keep troops, bases in Afghanistan for years. It is important geopolitical foothold in the context of alleged restoration of US domination.
I suspect that they will eventually end up running the place again anyway, although perhaps from behind the scenes rather than openly.
Not in the near future anyway. US forces will not leave Afghanistan anytime soon.
They were by the way the ones who did things like destroying the ancient Buddhist monuments in Afghanistan. They're barbarians and I'm not sure they're much of an improvement over IS.
Barbarians? Yes, they are. Terrorists? No, they are not.
Btw, are rulers of KSA barbarians with their habit of amputation of hands as 'punishment'? And note, they are Washington 'allies'... though unreliable 'allies'.

The other big problem is the degree to which money buys political power in the US.
Not only USA, in other countries as well including Russia.

What is the official line in Moscow about the actions of the KGB's Alfa Team in regards to the assault on the Tajberg Palace in 1979, when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan?
Soviet invasion in Afghanistan was a huge mistake. The operation was absolutely unlawful and unjustified.

(...) Still connection of Ossama bin Laden to 911 terror act is merely an allegation. It is not proved.
I haven't said anything about which specific things bin Laden may have done. I merely pointed out that his terrorist organisation was well established in Afghanistan. He was heavily involved with funnelling money and other aid to the rebels who fought against the Soviet troops who were assisting the legitimate government of Afghanistan in suppressing terrorists and bandits. Surely in your eyes this makes him a bad person?

Well, now there are no any traces of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. So it is time to go home.
They'd love to, but after they're gone the government of Afghanistan will collapse in short order. This will, as you have pointed out many times, lead to a loss of face for the Americans and decrease their power in the world.

Eventually some American president will pull their troops out of Afghanistan. The only real question at that point will be if the last Americans out of Afghanistan will be evacuated off the roof of the American embassy by helicopter.

Btw, are rulers of KSA barbarians with their habit of amputation of hands as 'punishment'?
Yes, no question about it.

I haven't said anything about which specific things bin Laden may have done. I merely pointed out that his terrorist organisation was well established in Afghanistan. He was heavily involved with funnelling money and other aid to the rebels who fought against the Soviet troops who were assisting the legitimate government of Afghanistan in suppressing terrorists and bandits. Surely in your eyes this makes him a bad person?
There are (and were) some Afghan insurgents that should be respected, that are (were) real 'freedom fighters' as Ahmad Shah Massoud
Ahmad Shah Massoud - Wikipedia
General Dostum, dr.Rabbani.
Osamma bin Laden in this context is just a nutter, religious bigot. He surely deserved his fate (if indeed he was killed in Pakistan).
They'd love to, but after they're gone the government of Afghanistan will collapse in short order. This will, as you have pointed out many times, lead to a loss of face for the Americans and decrease their power in the world.

Eventually some American president will pull their troops out of Afghanistan. The only real question at that point will be if the last Americans out of Afghanistan will be evacuated off the roof of the American embassy by helicopter.
Unlike Vietnam that was a battleground of superpowers, Afghanistan is a different matter. It doesn't require big military presence. Number of casualities is relatively low. So the Americans could remain in Afghanistan for decades.
This situation is rather profitable geopolitically for Moscow. Washington is wasting resources in hopless adventure, resources that could be used elsewhere in more dangerous (for Moscow) directions. Also US military inevitably will make mistakes (crimes) as bombing the hospital in Kunduz that expose Washington in a negative light.

There are (and were) some Afghan insurgents that should be respected, that are (were) real 'freedom fighters' as Ahmad Shah Massoud
Ahmad Shah Massoud - Wikipedia
General Dostum, dr.Rabbani.
Osamma bin Laden in this context is just a nutter, religious bigot. He surely deserved his fate (if indeed he was killed in Pakistan).

Unlike Vietnam that was a battleground of superpowers, Afghanistan is a different matter. It doesn't require big military presence. Number of casualities is relatively low. So the Americans could remain in Afghanistan for decades.
This situation is rather profitable geopolitically for Moscow. Washington is wasting resources in hopless adventure, resources that could be used elsewhere in more dangerous (for Moscow) directions. Also US military inevitably will make mistakes (crimes) as bombing the hospital in Kunduz that expose Washington in a negative light.
The above demonstrates your ignorance of or blindness towards history in regard to Afghanistan.
Russia & the UK spent much of the 19th century meddling in that nations affairs as part of what was known as 'The Great Game'.
As for murdering civilians; YOU openly support such acts.

The above demonstrates your ignorance of or blindness towards history in regard to Afghanistan.
Russia & the UK spent much of the 19th century meddling in that nations affairs as part of what was known as 'The Great Game'.
As for murdering civilians; YOU openly support such acts.
Nope.

Not only USA, in other countries as well including Russia.
The annual planetary summit is held in Davos, every year. That is where they decide which country/corporate will thrive, or go bankrupt, where wars will be fought, who will sell their arms to whom, and which individuals will be placed as the supposedly democratically leaders of their nation.

I really shouldn't be surprised. A couple of years away on the other side of the world, trying to avoid everything and I come back to KGB spouting the same old ill thought out rubbish.

Change your tune, mate. V boring.

I may have to switch off again........

Hey ho - back to my view on things.
my view.jpg

The beer is good here too.

PS - KGB - thought you might appreciate the amount of red in the photo :)

I really shouldn't be surprised. A couple of years away on the other side of the world, trying to avoid everything and I come back to KGB spouting the same old ill thought out rubbish.

Change your tune, mate. V boring.

I may have to switch off again........

Hey ho - back to my view on things. View attachment 286487

The beer is good here too.

PS - KGB - thought you might appreciate the amount of red in the photo :)
44 years ago, yes exactly in 1973 then a schoolboy I with my mates visited Solovetsky islands in the White sea
Solovetsky Islands - Wikipedia

Still local monastery (its walls) bears marks of British rounds left after its shelling.

This photo was taken on the islands (not by me).