Should Top Officers be more culpable for military campaigns?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Screw_The_Nut, Mar 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thread not appearing on the Last 50 for some reason.
  2. What a cracking article, a shame nothing will change!
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

yep and the spending fcuk ups they contribute to by messing about with perfectly good kit to make it useless or too expensive - they should also be allowed to defend themselves against politicians and their spin by having their own press officers again.
  4. I was there. It was a complete farce up until the moment we left. And when we did the general consensus was that it was with our tales between our legs.
  5. I was on Telic 10, and the difference between the first 3 months and the second could only be explained by a massive bribe of cash to the insurgency...
  6. I often suspected that was the only way out.

Big bribes on the promise of them downing tools long enough for the media to turn its attention elsewhere. I imagine the corruption and tribal culture has returned to the pre 2003 status quo by now.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The bravery and sacrifice of soldiers on the front line was compromised by the inability of those in higher positions (both military and political) to think ahead of the moment.

We achieved great things in Iraq but it will never really be seen as such.

8. It was a New Labour war; everything to do with it was for the benefit of Tony and his coterie, whether by direct PR glow or subsequent oily warmth. The presence and actions of troops was incidental.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. The Yank's $.02,

I'm inclined to agree with Whiskeybreath both operations were beholden to the political class in the same vein that all post 1945 armed conflicts have been. That being said nobody left Iraq smelling like a bunch of roses, be they uniformed personnel or elected officials, and the same will hold true when we all finally unass A-Stan. My assessment on the performance of both our nations' top uniformed leadership is that their primary failing was their unwillingness to speak truth to power either to the PM or the POTUS. And it is precisely when one reaches the four star/OF-9 grade that your primary purpose in life is to tell the political princes what the hell is and is not good military policy/strategy.

On a note aside I just picked up a book titled The Generals by Tom Ricks, who is the top defense correspondent on our side of the drink. The book deals with the selection and performance of US Army general officers from WWII through Korea, Vietnam, and today. Google it and tell me what you all think.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Maybe we should have some elections for Army Navy and Air Force Commissioners who can sack and appoint new commanders when they feel that they are not performing.

Might keep them on their toes.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

admiral john byng was shot on deck for not being good enough. someone did say you should shoot a general every now and again to encourage the others or words to that effect.

a fine tradition due for revival maybe. its not only corporate business that has the promote to avoid questions and paperwork when they should be sacked mentallity.

I've always meant to ask someone like JJH what he felt about westmorland.
  12. I don't have a problem with reinstating the RN motivational techniques, the issue would be extending them to elected officials in order to obtain the same efficacy in this modern age.