Should this old stab medic try Infantry?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Chocobot, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So Ive been an airborne medic for a few years now.

And to be honest im bored with it. Not the medicine, which I do in civvy life as a student nurse, but the tentage training, the slack exercises that amount to driving from one point to another and putting up a tent, thats if youre not just doing MATTS and getting pissed instead, and the overall the simple lack of an enemy or sense of fight, alongside everyone acting hard cos their 'airborne' (just a personal observation).

Ive done enough jumps to know what that's about too. So Im thinking, should I give the CI course a try? Moreover, is it dead hard? Is it easy? Middling? Do you need really good fitness, marksmanship (being a medic weapons and such are seldom a priority)?

Is it even worthwhile focussing on? After all, in a few years Ill be nurse, maybe even a nursing officer and its therefore unlikely any Afghan deployment would see me hanging out with the patrolling troops it seems.

Your thoughts Gentlemen, Ladies?
  2. Why not mate :)

Good luck
  3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

So Transfer to a Para Bn. you will get meet the enemy frequently!!
  4. How long is a few years? Try 25. Had plenty of Infantry work as it is there if you want it. You get out what you put in!
  5. Or you could come to the dark side, become a QA and join a field hospital?
  6. A classic case of what msr would call having lost your "TA mojo". The more you carry on in the same job, the more bored you'll get and the more you'll resent the TA. Your choices are to sack it in or make it interest you again.

So my advice is get your arrse on the course. As a student you can't really pick up and go on tour for six months, but you can go on courses or rethink your role. If you're nursing five days a week, of course you won't find treating blisters and heatstroke on exercise all that interesting; perhaps you'll enjoy something more active and (for you, at least) mentally stimulating.
  7. Indeed!

This scenario presented me with another dilemma. I was attached to 4 Para recently as a medic, and at the end they sought to get me to join them as their medic. They even offered me a stripe!

The thing is, fellows in my current unit, my det boss in fact, were of the opinion that Id just be sidelined and slagged off as the 'fuckin medic' etc etc.

Anyway, just for info, Ive been in the TA some 6 years and Im 35 (is that old). Your own experiences, thoughts and opinions are most welcome but also if youve got any handle on the CIC thats cool to.
  8. Granted. It would be nice to cut about in pips and get paid loads for **** all.
  9. Interesting post. TA mojo indeed. I do love the Phys aspect. But theres a prevalence IMHO in my medic unit of acting as if proper fighty war is just round the corner cos we're airborne when in fact nothing could be further from the truth cos we're medics! :roll:
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hmmm, now I wonder why they did that? After all, every det comd wants to see his blokes leave to go to another unit!

How were you actually treated at 4 Para is the real question, not how he thinks you might be.

Speak to the 4 Para RAP and ask them how integrated they feel in the Bn.
  11. Thanks for the advice. It is sound.

I've not considered leaving until now because of the manpower shortage currently in play - always seemed a shame to further trod on a downtrodden det. Plus I've always been wary of the 'grass is greener' scenario.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It is sound.
  12. you can always go off and be a nursing officer when qualified .Might as well do something diffrent and worthwhile till then.
    that was always my plan but in the end decided rather stay a pte than have to wear a non infantry cap badge . :twisted:
  13. Just being pedantic, but nursing isn't medicine.
  14. Granted. But the bits where you do medicine thingy's such as wound dressings, injections, Pegg feeds are indeed medicine.

The bits you mean are handing out drugs and food, washing arses etc etc are not, that's routine care. Its a confusing branch of healthcare indeed.
  15. Thank you.

You being the infantry sort, do you feel or see that your own unit medics are sidelined?