Should They Bring Back The Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Liney_Lunatic, May 22, 2009.

1. Yes, string them up, inject them, fry them, gas them, whatever it takes to rid us of these parasites

2. No. Killing them is to good.

3. Don't honestly know.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. after hearing the news abouth baby Peter's mum, stepdad and her lodger being sentanced for causing his death, normal people are horrified at the bloody light sentances that were handed down. isnt it time that the death penalty was brought back to punish w@nkers like these and others when the evidence is beyond any doubt whatsoever?
  2. Raping a two year old then kicking a baby to death?

Why should the taxpayer foot the bill for his continued ability to draw breath?

Hang em high.
  3. With overwhelming evidence, confessions, CCTV on every corner and DNA etc. such crimes should be paid for with death. Character reform is a clever lie.
  4. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Before we even look at that (and I am a fan by the way!) I think we need to look at introducing proper sentences accross the board. Lets face it the maximum sentence for the offence that these two commited is 14 years. Neither got it which beggars the question what the hell would you have to do to be awarded it?
    The mind boggles.
  5. No I dont support bringing back the death penalty, as jingo said, tougher sentencing, and tougher prison conditions, but not the death penalty. It would be a step backward in my opinion.
  6. As with JINGO I feel proper sentencing would be better, sentence should be the number of years given no automatic time off, that is the mininmum and good behaviour is what gets them out there at the ned of the sentnceany breaks in good behaviour increases the sentence. If they want to have power in their cells a pedal/hand operated generator to run them, I have had to stay, and pay for the privilage, in much worse accom that they get.
    I am no bleeding heart liberal type, but I cannot agree with a death sentence, but I would make prison fit for the following
    1. Protect the public
    2. Punish the offender
    3. Re-educate and rehabilitate the offender
    4. Make it so that a return to incarceration would be abhorrent to them.
  7. I think I had a very amicable debate with leveller about this subject on another thread.
    Although I was previously in favour, his argument convinced me that the system is not 'Watertight' enough to prevent miscarriages of justice and on reflection I had to agree with him.

I feel that the real issues are the ridiculous sentences passed upon these vermin.

How the bastard got a longer sentence for raping the girl than for killing the boy defeats all logic in me.
    Should have got life for both, to be served in 'open population' in one of the old nasty nicks that we still have.
  8. I'm against the death penalty. I think it would be far more of a deterant to lock them in a cell for 24hrs a day with nothing but a matress and a hole to crap in and keep them there until their dying day. That way they will have plenty of time to think about the wrongs they have committed

Anyway, if the death penalty was brought back can you ever imagine it being used if a child killer and rapist only gets potentially 10 years? Seriously if that's the case then what the hell do you have to do to get a proper life sentence?
  9. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

String them up. Alternatively, I'll buy the bullets and pull the trigger (providing it's all legal of course).
  10. Including those that never offended in the first place.
  11. Never disregard the deterrent demographic...
  12. The same arguement can be used for those wrongfully imprisoned for 20-30 years.

Im for bringing it back but only for the worst 100% cases.
  13. A very good point well made
  14. I have long maintained that most people concentrate on the wrong end of the criminal spectrum. If we dealt effectively with petty crime in general and juvenile petty crime in particular then serious crime would simply not happen.

That said, I think that the death penalty should be reinstated as part of a general raising of sentences.
  15. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm with LPJ on this one, even with the "quality" of forensic evidence today, it is still too easy for a miscarriage of justice to occur. However the penalties for sexual violence and rape (in all forms) is woefully inadequate. Sentencing needs to be harsher, (and that includes those rare cases of "victims" who cry wolf, and lie about being raped or assaulted, because they are trivialising and damaging the chances of real victims).