Should there be mandatory training to have children?

Should there be a minimum qualification level in care and wellbeing for anyone about to be a parent?

• Yes

Votes: 94 84.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 15.3%

• Total voters

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The paperwork and assessment to become a foster carer can be long and arduous.

You are then given the results of the most fecked up parenting to look after.

And the kids are permanently affected by it.

And as you say, the back stories can make you weep.

And that's just reading it, it must be even more harrowing to experience it first hand.

Back when I started working in Neighbourhood teams a Head at the Infants on my patch summed up the whole shitty situation- The problem is babies having babies, chuck in drugs and poverty and you have a whole underclass who have kids because they're too stupid not to and incapable of actually caring for them. Then its just rinse and repeat.
The Septics and Nazis really gave Eugenics a bad rep.

After 20 years of listening to other peoples largely self inflicted problems I follow the simple rule that all that shit stays in the carpark at the nick. Ok there are a few that lurk at the back of my mind but I can normally keep them in the do not open box.

I never wanted kids and came to it quite late, oddly enough from being anti I seem to find the whole parenting thing comes naturally. But that could be age, the fact I give a shit and I actually wanted a child?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
A couple I know (high achieving, financially secure) went through the wringer to adopt. The reason they were deemed high risk? He's an Army officer...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Swedes were compulsorily sterilising people who they regarded as unfit for parenting until the 1960's, I believe.
Was also the case in the USA. Some states did not repeal their sterilisation laws until the 70s.

However that was forced sterilisation, there are many well documented cases whereby through various nefarious means sterilisation was continued to be carried out, usually on ethnic minorities, inmates of prisons and hospitals

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A couple I know (high achieving, financially secure) went through the wringer to adopt. The reason they were deemed high risk? He's an Army officer...
When in Chatham in the 90's was turned down for fostering for that very reason. (though strangely enough was no bar at all when in BAOR!)

The reason given was that I would ready access to weapons.

Yes, what a first class idea.

They are great for cleaning chimneys and mining work though and for getting those bits of cotton fluff out from under the loom there's nothing finer.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve enough problems looking after myself never mind kids, they’d never get to school but would be trained in sparking up cigs and fetching cans from the fridge.
Who actually wants them when contraception is free? They’re a drain on resources, stink, shit themselves and whine.
If only you posted that a few years back.:frustrated:
I know what @MrBane means, looking after your own little ones comes natural to “normal people” but alas in his line of work one comes across things that one doesn’t even think is possible.
Life as a copper certainly is an education in what the human race is capeable of and at times you really want the offending piece of crap to resist arrest so one can teach him some manners and life skills.

So it's been a particularly brutal day in work and I've seen things today I never wanted to see.

My question is simple:

Should the mother to be and any applicable partner during pregnancy be made, by law, to complete a training course in basic parenting?

Effectively, achieve a basic qualification to care for and raise a child in a responsible manner?

This would include such areas as:

1. How to wash your child and maintain basic hygiene
  2. How to feed and provide nourishment
  3. How to care for the child in the home and provide a safe environment
  4. How to talk and communicate with your child
  5. The impact of drink and drugs on a child's mental and physical health
  6. Child deaths - the avoidable mistakes
If you failed to attend or failed to complete the course to a satisfactory level, it would be the first flag for the NHS / Social Work Services to sit up and take notice of you and provide that extra support and guidance or take measures to protect the child.

There are many reasons why I fully support this concept, which I'll go into in more detail tomorrow.

For now, I'm going to lie down in a quiet room and try to mind block the last twelve hours. It's been one of those days where it's hard not to start crying.
Unenforceable and, being honest, pretty much an open door to the SJWs who are effing up this country to force their views onto parents. What then, training on how to vote at elections? Put another way, people who are not suited to raising children have been having children forever.

Back when I started working in Neighbourhood teams a Head at the Infants on my patch summed up the whole shitty situation- The problem is babies having babies, chuck in drugs and poverty and you have a whole underclass who have kids because they're too stupid not to and incapable of actually caring for them. Then its just rinse and repeat.
The Septics and Nazis really gave Eugenics a bad rep.

After 20 years of listening to other peoples largely self inflicted problems I follow the simple rule that all that shit stays in the carpark at the nick. Ok there are a few that lurk at the back of my mind but I can normally keep them in the do not open box.

I never wanted kids and came to it quite late, oddly enough from being anti I seem to find the whole parenting thing comes naturally. But that could be age, the fact I give a shit and I actually wanted a child?

Strangely , Doris said in the car yesterday , that she hadn't seen so many youngsters with the "add on baby" in the town of late, she thinks it is now because there now is no short cut to council housing like there was ,

Strangely , Doris said in the car yesterday , that she hadn't seen so many youngsters with the "add on baby" in the town of late, she thinks it is now because there now is no short cut to council housing like there was ,
Sprog as a source of income/housing?
No problem.
Locals have gone one better.
if you have a sprog, you get a grant of X.
However, if you have a kiddy with a disability, you get over 4 times as much!
Pregnant and drinking… on purpose | IOL News

Jesus wept.

I'd suggest mandatory testing before you're allowed to get pregnant, setting the pass mark so that about 40% fail until we get the population down; but this is a liberal democracy so my methdos of enforcement would probably be deemed a bit too extreme.

Sprog as a source of income/housing?
No problem.
Locals have gone one better.
if you have a sprog, you get a grant of X.
However, if you have a kiddy with a disability, you get over 4 times as much!
Pregnant and drinking… on purpose | IOL News

Jesus wept.
Homo sapiens, if you're going to tell a lie, tell a big one and keep telling it. My father always ascribed this to Herr Goebbels but I can't actually find a reference.

Ritch

LE
The paperwork and assessment to become a foster carer can be long and arduous.

You are then given the results of the most fecked up parenting to look after.

And the kids are permanently affected by it.

And as you say, the back stories can make you weep.

And that's just reading it, it must be even more harrowing to experience it first hand.
One of my friend fosters two children who both have autism. Their parents can't even look after themselves, have extremely low IQs and can barely read, never mind write. Before social services got involved, it turns out these two adults kept the children fastened into car babyseats almost all day, everyday resulting in physical disabilities. What she has to put up with regarding the care of the children is mind-boggling to me.

In theory, probably yes.

In reality, it’s much more fun to wing it. The results are equally alarming either way.

I have 5 boys, all got through puberty ok. Job jobbed. :)
But did you teach them that they're only allowed one sausage?

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Ah, Mr Bane. I've seen some of this from the hospital end, and yes, it was bloody dreadful. While training to become an RGN, I did two stints on a General Paediatric Ward, two in ENT with a Paediatric section. I saw and heard things in the former which tried my obligation to be non judgemental towards the parents; not so in ENT.
I voted yes, but in the knowledge that the idea is unworkable. And (based mainly on my subsequent experience in Care of the Elderly and Dementia Care) I wouldn't trust most Social Workers with the care of a bowl of Brine Shrimps.

Homo sapiens, if you're going to tell a lie, tell a big one and keep telling it. My father always ascribed this to Herr Goebbels but I can't actually find a reference.
The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously".

More from Adolf here Big lie - SourceWatch

So it's been a particularly brutal day in work and I've seen things today I never wanted to see.

My question is simple:

Should the mother to be and any applicable partner during pregnancy be made, by law, to complete a training course in basic parenting?

Effectively, achieve a basic qualification to care for and raise a child in a responsible manner?

This would include such areas as:

1. How to wash your child and maintain basic hygiene
  2. How to feed and provide nourishment
  3. How to care for the child in the home and provide a safe environment
  4. How to talk and communicate with your child
  5. The impact of drink and drugs on a child's mental and physical health
  6. Child deaths - the avoidable mistakes
If you failed to attend or failed to complete the course to a satisfactory level, it would be the first flag for the NHS / Social Work Services to sit up and take notice of you and provide that extra support and guidance or take measures to protect the child.

There are many reasons why I fully support this concept, which I'll go into in more detail tomorrow.

For now, I'm going to lie down in a quiet room and try to mind block the last twelve hours. It's been one of those days where it's hard not to start crying.
I'm sorry for your terrible day at work.

I've arrived at the conclusion that, as a teacher, the best thing I can do for some kids is mow down their parents at speed on my way home.

Sadly, no training required to make children, given the act of procreation is a basic instinct and our underclass are particularly good at it. It’s what comes next that’s the difficult part - patience, setting a good example, accepting responsibility and learning respect for others - our underclass are spectacularly bad at it, or don’t give a shit one way or the other. Repeat and rinse.

Latest Threads