Should there be mandatory training to have children?

Should there be a minimum qualification level in care and wellbeing for anyone about to be a parent?

• Yes

Votes: 70 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I work in secure residential care in Scotland so get to interact with the end results of 13-17 years of abuse and neglect of some of our most vulnerable young people. It never ceases to amaze me that even in the 21st century, the volume of adults who are unfit to have children through reading background reports of some of our service uers.
I have a lot of interaction with RCU's as I'm sure you can imagine.

******* horrific.

Couldn't do your job mate, well done and stick at it.

Isn't that something to let the splits wazz standing up ?
It definitely feels like I'm spending hours of my life pissing in to the wind. What you're thinking of is a shewee (other brands of female urination device are probably available).

Someone else mentioned about the adult for every child scheme in Scotland - it would never have worked because it would've become a box ticking exercise of the highest order.
With the best will in the world, what makes you think your new system will be any different? At best you will get an automatically generated report (times late to school, homeworks not done, number of fillings and medical appointments etc.) and the at-risk invididuals will be flagged up as they currently are anyway.

Obviously a scrappy and rough idea, but answer me this:

What the **** else can we do when there are thousands of people with children who just don't give a flying **** about their welfare and well being?
From what you've said about social services, reform should start there. The issue (and I have relatively little experience) seems to be that they are either unwilling or unable to put children into a safe environment.

Some of which might be justified - if they can maintain some link with the child's family it will help reduce the negative feelings the child has about itself. I can think of 1 kid I've met that has been through foster care that didn't blame themselves for the situation, that they were worthless and no one loved them. Then there's the disruption when a foster place falls through. Due to some ******* stupid legal bit apparently the child should be told, even if it might be weeks before they are rehoused.

Ultimately, there will continue to be children born to people that don't want them or don't care about them and that is never going to go away. Like others have said, look after yourself, you can't fix the world's problems.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It definitely feels like I'm spending hours of my life pissing in to the wind. What you're thinking of is a shewee (other brands of female urination device are probably available).
PSHE - Shewee - GoGirl -Lady P
Yes I've just searched.
Anyway, SSDD.

It's all about girls having a fake mthondo.
Which is strange because they can borrow mine as often as they want.

Ultimately, there will continue to be children born to people that don't want them or don't care about them and that is never going to go away. Like others have said, look after yourself, you can't fix the world's problems.
Unfortunately very, very true.
it is an imperfect world and then we add human beings to it.
God, or whoever, must have a sick sense of humour sometimes.
No part of the above is tongue in cheek. I am becoming increasingly convinced that evil exists and some people listen to it far too easily.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No part of the above is tongue in cheek. I am becoming increasingly convinced that evil exists and some people listen to it far too easily.
It does.

I'm unconvinced it's on the form of a greater being, lean toward the idea that it's in the minds of men.*
Possibly all, it just takes a weak person to let it loose.

* ONE other gender is also available.

It does.

I'm unconvinced it's on the form of a greater being, lean toward the idea that it's in the minds of men.*
Possibly all, it just takes a weak person to let it loose.

* ONE other gender is also available.
I can't argue with that.
We have free will and have to make the choice.
It is also why I think nature is in the end more important than nurture.
Though if you live in a culture that beats a certain set of beliefs into you, you are going to have a hard time but can resist it.

I have a lot of interaction with RCU's as I'm sure you can imagine.

******* horrific.

Couldn't do your job mate, well done and stick at it.
Cheers for the kind words. I considered it after leaving the army though certainly wouldn't do your job either.

I'd argue I'm probably better supported numbers-wise in my job when it goes pete tong compared to yours tbh!

We as a nation are so scared about being seen to be 'oppressing' people's liberty and rights, that we would rather let children suffer neglect, hunger. harm and die than intervene in a way that would protect that child from the people hurting them - their parents.

For everything else we get right or wrong in this country, you'd think we'd sort this out eh?
Well I could list another few reasons we're this bad as well, good old fashioned idleness and money would be the first two. The other problem is that taking kids away from their parents has a bad history, misdiagnosis of sexual abuse leading to families being split for no good reason, care homes being hot beds of sexual abuse and crime. The latter undoubtedly magnified by the press, but the states record of getting the things it does right is not good as you yourself observe so why should be we expect them to be any better at raising children that they are at delivering projects on time and in budget.