Votes: 41 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Yes - Must have minimum of 10 years or operational tour

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Yes - Full contract service of 22 years

Votes: 14 6.0%

• Total voters
Wouldn’t this be easier if we had a more black and white method of saying who was in and who was good. The US years ago had honourable/dishonourable discharge (maybe they still do), not grades, much of which can be bluffed away. It’s not about time served.

If you are deficient in life to the point where wandering around with a shit badge on makes you feel better about yourself you need to reassess your priorities

honourable/dishonourable discharge (maybe they still do), not grades, .
An honourable or dishonourably discharged what? Sounds a bit like sewage.

You're not a veteran until you've raped and plundered and drank out of your enemies skull.
Alas I didn't have much of an opportunity for it myself in the RCT.

Sounds like you need a bigger badge.
The problem starts with all the “metaphorical badge measuring”

And ends up with some auld drunk **** trying to call you out on what medals you are wearing. Hence them never seeing the light of day and keeping away from all the “professional veterans” that seem to have appeared out the woodwork in the last 17 years ready to soak up some reflected glory

And ends up with some auld drunk **** trying to call you out on what medals you are wearing. Hence them never seeing the light of day and keeping away from all the “professional veterans” that seem to have appeared out the woodwork in the last 17 years ready to soak up some reflected glory
That’s why you need a bigger badge, then it’s not metaphorical.

Okay I'm confused. I joined the TA aged 17 teen as I had and still have Crohn's disease. My reasoning for this was that I would be found out if I had joined the regs and I thought that if WW3 happened, we would not live long enough for me to become a liability to my TA unit. However I was found out and I had to leave one year later. After another year I had recovered enough so that I joined 6 RRF. I stayed there for 3 or 4 years after which I them transferred back into the Queens Own Yeomanry which was the unit which originally told me to leave. I stayed there for about 5 years before moving into 201 General Hospital and after a few years with them I moved once again back into QOY.

So all in all I have served from the age of 17 right up to the age of 34 with a break of about three years in all that time. In the first Gulf war they took my CVRT and sent that off to war and I would have went along with it had I been asked, but I and my unit were not. So does my service in three different units count towards me being a vet or do I need to have killed someone? Bearing in mind that only a small percentage of armed forces personal, including regulars ever see combat, even though they may have been in a war zone they were in the rear with the gear.
No, thanks for your service

Is it a generational thing? The men who fought the the two wars organised themselves around the legions then in the last few years we’ve had the explosion of social media which seems to drive a lot of this stuff.

Veterans seem to have become just another example of the identity politics which is becoming more and more prevalent across society.