Should the USA apply for Commonwealth membership?

I understand the US is still eligible for membership of the Commonwealth. I think they would benefit from the international leverage and we would certainly benefit from their influence and status. What do people here think?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Whilst it would undoubtedly increase their stature in the world, it would mean that we would never win any more medals at the Commonwealth Games, so nah, let them stay outside.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
You don't know much about the USA, do you, they already have a Commonwealth, it's called Massachusetts

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Keep them out.
if they became part of the British Commonwealth they would slowly infiltrate our way of life and governence and they would start wars and conflicts and then call upon us to help with them.......................................

errmm... wait, oh!

Taxi!!

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
No! **** em! That place has been going downhill ever since Lee surrendered.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Don't be ridiculous, we have to at least maintain the pretence of having standards.

Though I have no objections for including the 13 Colonies, California, Orgeon & Hawaii.

They haven't shown interest in it in the past, so why should they be bothered now. They obviously think they are too good to be in the commonwealth, so let them keep thinking that (doesn't make it true).

Well they can't be an Empire as they have no Emperor
The can't be a Kingdom as they have no King
Can't even be a Principality as they have no Prince.

Still they are doing pretty well as a country.

I realise this has not a lot to do with the commonwealth but it amuses me.

Whilst it would undoubtedly increase their stature in the world, it would mean that we would never win any more medals at the Commonwealth Games, so nah, let them stay outside.
Thats why I'm for kicking the Aussies out too!

To go all sensible for a bit - are they actually eligible for membership?

The USA wasn't a British Colony or dependancy. (I know there are exceptions but not for the spams surely?).

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To go all sensible for a bit - are they actually eligible for membership?

The USA wasn't a British Colony or dependancy. (I know there are exceptions but not for the spams surely?).
They are indeed eligible:

United States of America:[14] part of the Kingdom of Great Britain until 1776. The original Thirteen Colonies, most US territory east of the Mississippi River, much of the former Red River Colony, and the former Oregon Country were all under British control at some point prior to 1815
Commonwealth of Nations membership criteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw Hawaii was one of our Protectorates between 1794 & 1843.

I worded that badly.

The idea was that prior to 1776/7 the place was more a collection of Dutch/Spanish/French/German/Swedish/UK/uncletomcobbley and all colonies so would that dissallow the USA as a whole membership?