Should the UK join the US in an attack on Syria?

Should the UK join the US in an attack on Syria? NOT Boots on the ground.

• On reflection - yes. CW are vile and their use cannot go unpunished.

Votes: 67 35.1%
  • On reflection - no. None of our business, not in our AOR.

Votes: 124 64.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s a possibility that it could be down to poor training, but it could easily be down to malicious intent with Assad thinking he’s got enough top cover from Putin to push for an end to the conflict.

There’s certain weapon systems out there that no matter how bad things get, you keep control ofsonfarvwe’ve had claims of rebels managing to get aircraft on the ground when they have no ability to fly anything bombing themselves. Claims that rebels are gassing themselves. Claims that HMG is manufacturing Russian chemical weapons to kill pro western Russian dissidents in our own country, and a general high degree of ignoring international law.

This conflict has been dragging on for a hell of a long time. I sdon’t nose Assad wants things wound up as quickly as possible. Some bean counter somewhere will be telling Assad and put in how much this conflict is costing, and contrary to popular belief, wars aren’t good for economy’s.
To be honest since reading more about it (this attack and some of the others) in the last few days, as well as seeing pics of some of the barrel bombs that were supposedly used I don’t really see how it could be down to misidentification of the munitions.

I also went from not wanting us to be involved in any retaliation to supporting the gov position in a few days.

I’m a spineless flip flopper.

They did but under a clear UN mandate UNSCR 1244 which made it legal. FWIW the continued veto's in the UNSC means it has no power or right to legally enforce 'peace' which will lead to these kinds of decisions as there seems to be no alternative. Has the UN has finally reached an end ,much as the League of Nations did?
No for me, not yet. We're being 'outplayed' I believe at the moment, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Russia has been desperate to have those sanctions lifted after the 2014 Crimean annexation, plus those from MH17 etc etc. Hit them where it hurts, in Putin's and his mates pockets. If we have to take a hit, so be it.

Obviously, Cyber Warfare will go on but as 'denials, obfuscation and outright lies appear to work, how about a bit of retaliation: U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack

To be honest since reading more about it (this attack and some of the others) in the last few days, as well as seeing pics of some of the barrel bombs that were supposedly used I don’t really see how it could be down to misidentification of the munitions.

I also went from not wanting us to be involved in any retaliation to supporting the gov position in a few days.

I’m a spineless flip flopper.
I don't believe you are alone: Poll: Nearly half of Britons support UK taking part in airstrikes

The poll prior to the attacks was 36 - 37% both for and against. Now 48% in favour.

There are times you have to do things you don’t want to do.

Worryingly, Corbyn seems to be trying to make political capital out of this.
I think he’s making a fairly poor job of it.

I’m not a fan of Corbyn but he’d been doing well for several months. That said, ever since Salisbury though I don’t think he’s been covering himself in glory.

I think he’s making a fairly poor job of it.

I’m not a fan of Corbyn but he’d been doing well for several months. That said, ever since Salisbury though I don’t think he’s been covering himself in glory.
Corbyn got his arse handed to him by his own MPs this afternoon, particularly by Mike Gapes and Chris Leslie. He just looked hopelessly on the wrong side of the argument again, exactly as he has over the Skripals.

he opts for sniping at the decision taker rather than thinking the problem through.
I think he thinks it through its just that this is how his brain works. He thinks that if he's reasonable then everyone else will be, also he's never really struck me as someone who's flexible in his thinking. He believes the UN should be the arbitrator in international affairs and because he holds this as a core belief ignores anything which challenges this view.

He's a principled guy, often to the point that it cripples his ability deal with anything that isn't a black and white situation.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did Labour not use military force in Kosovo to prevent a humanitarian crisis?
That would be the great humanitarian, man of the people and ex-UN peace envoy to the ME- Tony Blair.
Why was Tony Blair being paid by the UAE while working as Middle East envoy?
He's polar-opposite to Corbs but labour should never forget what he did to the labour party and the UK in general.
Uncannily similar to L2s going off wherever he treads.
Tony Blair confirms he is working to reverse Brexit

I think he thinks it through its just that this is how his brain works. He thinks that if he's reasonable then everyone else will be, also he's never really struck me as someone who's flexible in his thinking. He believes the UN should be the arbitrator in international affairs and because he holds this as a core belief ignores anything which challenges this view.

He's a principled guy, often to the point that it cripples his ability deal with anything that isn't a black and white situation.
The problem with his belief about the UN being the arbitrator is that Russia can use its veto which could be (& has been in this current situation) inconvenient to say the least.

OPCW to be allowed access to Dhouma today according to the BBC.
With Dhouma being under Russian control & thereby denying access to the inspectors for several days, it has given them time to either clean up or place evidence incriminating the UK or anyone else.

Either way, more obfuscation & lies from the Russian government/RT/trolls incoming over the next few days I expect.

Last edited:
All of this could have been avoided if we had supplied all of the actors in this tragic farce with conventional weapons. Wins all round especially for BAE share holders

Last edited:
The problem with his belief about the UN being the arbitrator is that Russia can use its veto which could be (& has been in this current situation) inconvenient to say the least.

With Dhouma being under Russian control & thereby denying access to the inspectors for several days, it has given them time to either clean up or place evidence incriminating the UK or anyone else.

Either way, more obfuscation & lies from the Russian government/RT/trolls incoming over the next few days I expect.
OPCW experts to visit Syria's Douma on Wednesday - Russian official
Wednesday now. They asked for access on the 10th. They arrived in country on Friday 13th. Now not going in until Wednesday 18th, over a week later:
Experts from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) will travel to the Syrian city of Douma on Wednesday, Russian Defence Ministry official Igor Kirillov said at a news conference in The Hague on Monday.

The United States have accused Russia of blocking international inspectors from reaching the site of a suspected poison gas attack in Douma and said Russians or Syrians may have tampered with evidence on the ground.
Various 'reasons' have been put forward from 'visa problems', to 'security' in the area. Seems odd for a team which has visited Syria many times and an area inspected by Russians as being clear, has reporters wandering all over it and seems on the face of it (for Syria) to be going about its daily business: In Damascus's ravaged farm belt, Douma's residents jostle for loaves

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

I thought we were going to get caught eventually, we should never have infected those Skripals and attempting to cover it up by the helicopter bombing of Douma. We’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky Russians.

So, just to recap, if I have understood correctly from the press and media, we threatened to bomb Syria and Russia threatened war if we did. We bombed Syria, but there is no war with Russia as a result.
I think I'll just give up reading the news.

Russian disinformation is an art form practiced from Troll through the very top Military Spokesman to Putin himself. The rewriting of history in Russia is long established.

The briefing given by Russian Defense Ministry spokesperson Major General Igor Konashenkov provided details during a press conference at the ministry in Moscow on April 16, 2018 that dispute nearly every detail the US UK and France have provide.

The fact is when subject to scrutiny by experts it fails to be believable...but, it is believed by the masses on delivery.

The problem for Russia is that they begin believing their own lies and when Putin is called out, as he has been twice in quick succession in becomes very embarrassing for them, and dangerous for the rest of the world when he then wants to retaliate for his miscalculations which have bitten him on the arse.