Should the UK follow canadas model for Quebecs independence?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kilo42, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been a bit on the Scottish news today about the effect the push for Scotland to leave the union might be having in Canada and Spain. There has been more than a bit of type on here re Scottish independence, but if the vote was to include England Wales and Northern Ireland as well as just Scotland, I wonder if it would be for or against, or if the rest of the UK is as divided as I believe Scotland is on this issue.

This is quite an interesting read I thought.

This week has seen a clash between David Cameron and Scotland’s First Minister’ Alex Salmond over a referendum on Scottish independence. Looking at the three decades of conflict between Quebec’s independence movement and the Canadian government, Françoise Boucek argues that the complexity of the independence question may mean that we will see a long war of attrition between Westminster and Holyrood.

Canada’s war points to the challenges ahead for Westminster and Holyrood. Canadian federalism requires constitutional changes to be approved unanimously by all provinces. For instance, the 1990 Meech Lake Accord sought Quebec’s endorsement of the constitution by recognising it as a distinct society. However, Manitoba and Newfoundland rejected the concept, leading to a new agreement – the Charlottetown Accord – which in turn was rejected by Canadians in a 1992 national referendum by a margin of 55% to 45% on a 72% turnout.
  2. The delays and wrangling in the Canadian case seem down to the fact that Canada is a federation. Since Britain's a constitutional Monarchy, that isn't a problem. The only person who needs to agree, ultimately, is HMTQ.
  3. But then she has to agree with the opinion of the Government.....
  4. Who completely ignore the will of the people...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. What would be the outcome of HMQ to refuse to give Royal Assent to an Independent Scotland Bill?
  6. Many would call for the Queen to step down and for Britain to become a republic...
  7. Yes we are in uncharted waters as the old saying goes.

Not that that would make much difference to the RN even when its been charted for a few hundred years they still cant navigate their bits of kit round sand banks.:fish:

8. In your dreams!
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Then many of them would find people quite prepared to stroll about the streets with pickaxe handles. Because they have a dodgy hip and they need pickaxe handles to walk. Then maybe the island would wake up and admit that what we actually like is a constitutional monarchy. And pop. And lashings of custard.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Don't get me wrong I'm very much a monarchist, having sworn the same oath as many of you, but the vast majority of the population would be very uneasy about HM refusing to sign a bill by parliament into law.
  11. **** me. Eleven posts on Scottish independence and it's holding up as a semi-intellectual discussion on the constitutional minefield that would result. Still, time yet for it to denegenerate. I'll start. It's our ****ing oil you toff bastards....:)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. We know, you fry everything in it.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

What if she didn't refuse, and instead just sent wee mad Eck to the Tower for a very, very close neck shave. It's not that I don't want independance, as no one has made an argument yet that (both pro and anti), it's the arrogance of wee eck and his smarmy gang all thinking we will blindly vote yes because they say so and they know better than us.....

Oh carp me blood pressure going through the roof again......
  14. The vast majority? Fact? Guess? Wish? Daily Worker Poll?
  15. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

With the way politicians are regarded at the moment, of any stripe or hue, the Queen exerting her authority might be a damn sight more popular than you think and a more ambitious monarch might be tempted to re-enter politics in this way. The trouble is emotionally I'd love it to happen, so thank god for democracy and our country that HMG has more intelligence and restraint than us.