Should the TA train the TA?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by HarrySmith95th, Apr 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some things really do need to be delivered by Regulars - OPTAG don't have a TA component, for example.

But should basic functions be taught by TA or by Regulars?

I'm a strong advocate of the STABs training themselves whenever possible. Insisting that, say, harbour drills are taught by Regulars will very rapidly lead to anyone over the rank of Private wondering why they bothered with career courses. If that continues, you'll end up with a unit that very rapidly sees an "us and them" divide between Regulars and Reservists.

I've heard of one very experienced SNCO being told that he can't deliver training based on the Forecast of Events because the (Regular) training team - PSIs, presumably - "will deliver that". On asking what he should do with his platoon for the four drill nights prior to that weekend, he was told "Battle Prep"...

I've heard a fair bit more, but thats enough to be getting on with for now.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Wherever possible (ie you have a current and competent instructor) the TA should, indeed must, train the TA.

If you don't have anyone qualified, the regular staff should conduct until such time as a TA soldier gains the qual. They should shadow the regular staff to gain an insight how to do it until they go on the course.

Qualified but not competent - EDIP from the regular staff until they are either competent or sacked.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. As above.

PSIs should be the backstop, not the bowler.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The idea reminds me of a saying....... Something about the blind leading the blind........
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Yep. They're there to make sure that Training can be delivered with the right equipment, on the right training area and make sure that the right training is being delivered. They may conduct some training where nobody in that unit has the right qual OR provide up to date instruction where things have changed
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Can the T.A train them self's
    • Like Like x 1
  7. One army!

In my old unit, we taught most things ourselves. We had the qualified personnel, who had attended AFV, Ranges, First aid courses etc and they were key in bounty weekends, as were the PTIs who took the CFT.

Bearing in mind that the courses attended were run by regulars - Section Commanders course, Field Sgts, Dems safety, water safety etc. These people who attended are all competent, otherwise they would not have passed.

Oh and as a footnote, we used to spend a fair bit of time teaching regulars, mine clearance and watermanship etc.
  8. Naive you be!!
  9. Depends on the trade. TA CMT's being for the most part NHS Ambulance are as a general rule more highly trained than a reg CMT, A TA Chef who most of the time is in a top bollocks Hotel/Restaurant is probably going to be better than one of Andy Capps' Commandos.

Field Skills and Teeth arms are a different thing, clearly, but none combat trades the TA may well lead and be able to show the Regs some things
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Look at how well disciplined and trained native battalions were in the colonies prior to independence. Look at them now.