• No, he is unbiased and doing a good job

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Yes, he has overstepped his authority

Votes: 142 94.7%
  • No thoughts either way

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He'll be the first speaker never to be elevated to the Lords.
[Pedantry] JH Whitley declined the offer of a peerage in 1928 and his successor died in office (his wife was made a Vicountess instead); Harry Hylton-Foster also died in post and the peerage went to his wife.

The only speaker who lived for a significant time after his retirement not to get a peerage (Sir John Cust would've been offered one, but died five days after stepping down) was Arthur Onslow, the longest-serving Speaker of the Commons (33 years). There are differing accounts as to how well-regarded he was; some say he was admired for his integrity, others that both sides of the Commons mistrusted him. The king gave him a pension which works out at about £645,000 per year in today's money, so the lack of a peerage probably didn't distress him that much, if it bothered him at all. [/Pedantry]

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The Establishment seems to be closing ranks against Brecow.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/23/john-bercow-faces-investigation-bullying-allegations-house-lords/
John Bercow could be investigated over past allegations of bullying after the House of Lords agreed to change its rules amid new complaints against the former Speaker. The Lords conduct committee met on Wednesday to discuss closing a “loophole” in its code of conduct to allow inquiries into allegations against former MPs who become peers, the Telegraph can reveal.
Short of the trappings of office, he's rapidly becoming an unperson.

Wordsmith

Upon reflection,I think we should award him with a place in the Lords.
Then when he has just got used to the trough lifestyle,announce the results of the stewards enquiry into alleged bullying,find him guilty,then very publicly remove his title and position.
That would wipe the smug grin of his face.

Upon reflection,I think we should award him with a place in the Lords.
Then when he has just got used to the trough lifestyle,announce the results of the stewards enquiry into alleged bullying,find him guilty,then very publicly remove his title and position.
That would wipe the smug grin of his face.
While I agree with your sentiment the problem with that idea is that they never seem to elbow anyone from the lords, he'll get a slap on the wrist and still have his snout deep in the trough

While I agree with your sentiment the problem with that idea is that they never seem to elbow anyone from the lords, he'll get a slap on the wrist and still have his snout deep in the trough
Sadly it would require an act of Parliament to get rid of him or anyone else from the HoL So stick with plan A, don’t give him the nod in the first place.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sadly it would require an act of Parliament to get rid of him or anyone else from the HoL So stick with plan A, don’t give him the nod in the first place.
The 'nod' Bercow deserves is the nod of his head dropping off the chopping block!

Good quote in the paper yesterday. Make him a peer - anchored off Brighton would be a good start!

I know it is a dump, but what has Brighton done to deserve that?

Now Blackpool...
He’d be more at home ‘down south’, with all the lefty Liberals. Brighton has voted in a Green MP for the past 3 General Elections, so they deserve each other.
Blackpool on the other hand, is a shithole, but a Northern shithole, so doesn’t deserve to have this appalling man foisted on it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Either way, isn't it traditional for them to accidentally burn down?
Try Lewes - every year they burn the Pope in effigy.

As it's a stanch Tory town, perhaps they could be persuaded to burn Bercow - and not just in effigy.

As I'm an equal opportunity abuser, we could bring back the Scold's Bridle for Ms Bercow - she's a bit of an old witch.

BTW - here's Ms Bercow upholding the dignity of the Speaker's Office in a newspaper interview.

1580070816309.png

Wordsmith

Looks like his Missus ain't chuffed. She, apparently, is the one who asked Corbyn to put him forward for dead stoats coats.

Wonder if she gave him a "special".

nah, Crobyn don't have a single.good one in him.

He’d be more at home ‘down south’, with all the lefty Liberals. Brighton has voted in a Green MP for the past 3 General Elections, so they deserve each other.
Blackpool on the other hand, is a shithole, but a Northern shithole, so doesn’t deserve to have this appalling man foisted on it.
Why Brighton?

why not move to the epicentre of w@nkers?

islington.

Why Brighton?

why not move to the epicentre of w@nkers?

islington.
You can’t put a peer (pier) off the coast at Islington - you need to see my original post for context! :smile:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads