• Poll closed .

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And in news just in...

Formal complaint lodged against John Bercow

This BBC news article is not for the easily enraged as it includes:
And...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/23/brexit-latest-news-withdrawal-bill-boris-johnson-labour-leadership/
John Bercow's nomination for a peerage should be reviewed if bullying allegations are found to be true, a minister has warned.

Andrea Leadsom questioned whether the former speaker deserved a place in the Lords after a former top aide compiled a "bullying dossier" against Mr Bercow.
Between that and government leaks suggesting Bercow will only be considered for a Labour nominated peerage if he applies to join the Labour party, it's been made pretty obvious that any attempt to ennoble him will be kicked into the long grass by the government.

Serves the self-important twat right.

Wordsmith

Which apparently is not within Corbyns gift.He,Corbyn,can only nominate someone who would sit on the Labour bench in the Lords.
Bercow was of course a Tory MP........
You would have thought that after all his time in parliament Jemery would have a slight knowledge of the rules and procedures.

Oh...

Which apparently is not within Corbyns gift.He,Corbyn,can only nominate someone who would sit on the Labour bench in the Lords.
Only £3 to join labour, in fact he could get it for £2.50 as he's unemployed. No problems crossing the floor, loads have done it without sanction. Let's face it the HoL is the trough for life, some people will even sign off on dodgy 'nothing to see here' reports to become one of the vermin in ermine. Although I have a suspicion that EHRC might find some areas of concern within that report.......

You would have thought that after all his time in parliament Jemery would have a slight knowledge of the rules and procedures.

Oh...
Never ever in a meaningful role though, always skulking around the back and voting against his own party.

Endoscope

Old-Salt
I dont doubt, for a single second, that he will cross the floor to Labour if it means a peerage for him. The odious little cnut has no scruples or morals... head in the trough time.

it's been made pretty obvious that any attempt to ennoble him will be kicked into the long grass by the government.

Wordsmith
But, but, Lady Sally?! :grin:

And...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/23/brexit-latest-news-withdrawal-bill-boris-johnson-labour-leadership/

Between that and government leaks suggesting Bercow will only be considered for a Labour nominated peerage if he applies to join the Labour party, it's been made pretty obvious that any attempt to ennoble him will be kicked into the long grass by the government.

Wordsmith
the most frustrating thing is that this formal complaint is only going in now! we've known for well over a year that there was allegations of bullying/sexism/abuse - which Labour MPs deliberately discounted due to Bercows bias against Brexit!

the most frustrating thing is that this formal complaint is only going in now! we've known for well over a year that there was allegations of bullying/sexism/abuse - which Labour MPs deliberately discounted due to Bercows bias against Brexit!
Does it matter when it goes in?

had it gone in earlier the Islington set would’ve rallied to his cause and claimed the allegations stemmed from Russian interference driven by an extreme right wing desire to stop us leaving the EU.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
After Bercow's antics in trying to prevent Brexit, BoJo/the Tory party will be doing him no favours. They've not nominated him for a peerage and were someone else to nominate him, I suspect the investigation into bullying would be enough to disqualify him.

I wonder if the Tory party will give him some minor honour just to rub his nose in it.

Wordsmith

After Bercow's antics in trying to prevent Brexit, BoJo/the Tory party will be doing him no favours. They've not nominated him for a peerage and were someone else to nominate him, I suspect the investigation into bullying would be enough to disqualify him.

I wonder if the Tory party will give him some minor honour just to rub his nose in it.

Wordsmith
Milk monitor?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Speakers, by convention, went to the Hof L as Crossbenchers. Mind you, we have all seen what Bercow thinks of convention when it suits him.

Bercow is complaining:

Bercow argues that he is entitled to a peerage, because it is conventional for retiring Speakers to go to the Lords, and he criticises No 10 for not giving him one. He says:
[Since retiring it has] become increasingly obvious that the government has no intention of honouring the centuries-old convention that a departing speaker is promptly elevated to the House of Lords. Indeed, it has been suggested to me that the government actively seeks to block any other attempt to nominate me for membership of the upper House.

My dear chap it's only convention and you yourself ignored that often enough during your time, as yea sew so shall yea reap old boy!

Last edited:
It would be worth Boris putting Bercow forward to be ennobled on one condition; that he accepts the name of the peerage provided.

Lord Squeaker of Lilliput.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bercow is complaining:

Bercow argues that he is entitled to a peerage, because it is conventional for retiring Speakers to go to the Lords, and he criticises No 10 for not giving him one. He says:
[Since retiring it has] become increasingly obvious that the government has no intention of honouring the centuries-old convention that a departing speaker is promptly elevated to the House of Lords. Indeed, it has been suggested to me that the government actively seeks to block any other attempt to nominate me for membership of the upper House.

My dear chap it's only convention and you yourself ignored that often enough during your time, as yea sew so shall yea reap old boy!
I was just about to quote that with much the same comments, re the odious little creep

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think it particularly noticeable that none of the back-benchers that Bercow is supposed to have supported have got up on their hind legs to suggest he gets a peerage.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Bercow is complaining:

The government will oh so subtly block him. They won't put him forward, its been flagged that if Labour put him forward, he'd need to become a labour member first and (which he can) if he nominates himself as a cross-bencher, it'll be a case of "the allegations of bullying will have to be investigated first".

He may have thought it was great fun to try and obstruct Brexit by abusing the privileges of his office, but now he's learning that has consequences. He'll be the first speaker never to be elevated to the Lords.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads