Should the RN be dry?

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Jan 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Scanning the DT today I came across two sulphurous letters insisting that Jolly Jack, ships and alcohol are a bad combination and that the alcohol bit should be made illegal as the Andrew is only an alcopop short of launching random nuclear strikes. The reaction seems a bit extreme to me but I wondered what the more informed view was:

Royal Navy should adopt a zero-alcohol policy - Telegraph
  2. Interesting letter. Captain Peter Newton is either stupid or being deliberately obtuse with what he writes. The reported drinking took place whilst the sub was in port and the submariners were staying in hotels, not while the sub was at sea and the submariners were on board.

I'm going with 'stupid'.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. No.

Next stupid question?
  4. It did strike me that as the man ultimately responsible for discipline then it could be argued that the Captain of HMS Astute was, to some extent, responsible for the circumstances of his own murder. An opportunist Brief could probably get the accused Seaman some compo for failure in duty of care if he tried .....

Drinking culture has always been tolerated if not encouraged in the Services. I would argue that an Naval alcohol ban should be considered, they'd still have buggery and the lash for entertainment.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. When I saw the question I thought "of course they should be dry, if their boats leak there's a problem"!

But back to the real subject, bollocks, let 'em have a gargle if they're off duty.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. But the accused was allowed back on duty while still under the influenece. That has to be a lapse of discipline surely.

The good captain gave me the impression that he was some bitter old man run aground in the middle of Derbyshire who had spent his career stridently promoting increasingly extreme and impractical health and safety strategies while everyone else took the piss.
  8. WTF?
  9. Captain Newton often writes letters to the DT, usually bollocks
  10. He's the boss. His ship. If people are drunk on duty it is his responsibility to deal with it as a disciplinary matter

Why is he so strident?
  12. I have to say NO.

On ships and submarines, there is a limit of three cans per man per day, which applies to Leading Hands and below. It is an offence to stockpile one's allowance. For Senior Rates there is no imposed limit.

When I served on nuclear submarines, most people rarely drank at sea, as the watch system was not conducive to getting bladdered as it was 6 on, 6 off for possibly 3 months at a time. However, if we went on a foreign jolly - WHEEEEEEE!!! For a start we stayed in hotels and for a second we got given cash in hand subsistence. So the lads did have the odd drinky or two!

The authors of the DT articles have no idea.

I was very saddened by the events on ASTUTE (it was not the CO that was killed, but the WEO) and I had thought that when on armed duty there was a no alcohol for the previous 24 hour rule. Maybe I'm wrong. Having said that, I am in favour of spot checking using breathylysers if it helps - random drug testing is accepted.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. On surface fleet: The beer fridge in the JR's is locked untill the pipe "beer key's" is made and a nominated member of the mess goes to the routines office to draw the keys from the duty PO. The fridge is open from 6 till 12 (depending on your ships GSO's). All ratings have to fill in a beer chit detailing how many cans they have in the fridge and how many they wish to withdraw from the naafi to put into the fridge (depending on the size of the cans this is either 2 or 3 this is your daily ration, if you drink you pay, if you don't drink you don't pay, you just sign the chit to get beer in the fridge. As Junior Rates we're not allowes any sprits onboard ship/boat unless the order "Splice the main brace" is given by HM, this is also the only time you can expect free alcohol from the RN.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Soon to appear at a UK Army barracks or RAF station near you?

Should the RN be dry? I hope not. As it is, this means no more than 2.5 pints of ale on a run ashore the day before turning to (i.e. starting one's daily duty on board) with none later than 2200.

I sincerely hope this tragic but isolated incident involving someone who was obviously mentally unstable and shouldn't have been in the Service anyway, let alone issued a weapon, won't lead to any knee-jerk reactions regarding the reasonable consumption of alcohol in the Royal Navy or any other Service. This lapse should have been spotted and corrected by the appropriate individuals at the time using long established procedures.

Since time immemorial, Captain's Standing Orders have tended to state, quite sensibly in my opinion, "Your drinking is your own affair until you make it mine." Any draconian measures will just lead to secret, unsupervised drinking with all the associated problems that presents.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. No idea, never met the guy but he does seem to like to see his name in print. He also usually manages to get into his letter something about him being or having been the captain of a ship.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose