Should the professionally unemployed be barred from voting?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Mar 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They contribute nothing to society and there are now so many of the leeches that the countries politics now beholding to the non-contributory 'I iz intitled, innit' classes who don't and won't work.
  2. They should be barred from life.
  3. Take your head for a shite will you.
  4. If you do not contribute to society then you have no say in how we are governed as far as i see. You want a vote then you have to put in for at least 12 months continuous contributions to the country.
  5. I disagree. They giro-junkies have an equal right as everyone else. It's a life-style choice they they've made. To be fair to them, it's not their fault. The government has made it easy for them to spunge, so fair play to them.

Not how I'd want to live my life, but hey, you can't please everyone.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

'No representation without taxation...' I wouldn't worry too much you won't find many of them in the voting booths anyway - too much like hard work.

One of the problems we have in the UK is that a significant part of the population is cut off from society. They feel that they have no part or stake in the common weal. They don't pay tax, they don't understand how things work their only contact with society is scrounging. I not sure how we change that - I would favour a sort of National Civil Service in return for benefits. I would also favour much more local democracy - sheriffs etc.
  7. I would suspect the only thing most of the kind of people you are referring to vote in is X facor (or pop idol, Brtain's Got Talent, Big Brother etc etc). A lot of them probably couldn't name the prime minister.
  8. Yes - next question please.

PS: Maybe castrated into the bargain; in the best interests and general well-being of the nation?

PPS: No question of an 'Intelligence Test' I suppose?

PPPS: No thought not - pity though. 600+ Tory MPs appeals to me.

9. OK, can you pay my share of taxes I pay to support the welfare leeches for me?

10. True, but all our politicians are falling over themselves to go grovelling at the welfare scroungers feet promising to them more and guranteeting no cuts that would affect their state funded slacker lifestyles
  11. How about the idea that only the wealth creators should be able to vote?

Allot of people here are banging on as if it is wealth they have produced which is being spent on social welfare.

Well it isn't, and I don't think people who are not involved in creating wealth should have a say in how it is distributed.

How do like them apples?

12. Ugg, Tarzan not like!! :p
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Most people on ARRSE contribute to society in different way other than as 'true' tax payers.

BTB by wealth creators to you mean only the chaps who own the factories or do you also include those who work in them?

How would you classify airline pilots or Doctors?
  14. Define “wealth creators.”

Servicemen, policemen, doctors etc. do not create wealth directly, but how much wealth would get created if they did not exist?
  15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Could someone clever point me towards the point of this thread that is either Army related or of geo-political significance?