Should the Olympic torch relay be stopped?

Should the Olympic torch relay be stopped?

• Yes - the protests have discredited it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - it's just giving into the protesters

• No - the Chinese will find a scapegoat and 'get' them!

• Wait until after the games are over and then quietly bin it before 2012

• At least stop the 'men in blue & white tracksuits' Peoples Armed Police from taking an

• Let the whole thing carry on. After all it was first dreamt up for the 1936 'Nazi' Olympic

• Total voters
The Chinese government want the Olympic torch relay to carry on regardless of political opinion and the increasing violence that is accompanying it. The International Olympic Committee appear to be more concerned about the image of the games and trying to pretend that it's all going to be okay. But what do ARRSE'rs think?

No, definitely not. It doesn't matter that we miss a chance to bear our collective liberal western arrses at the CPC. What does matter is that we aren't seen to be snubbing 'China' in the eyes of John Zhongguo. If we do, we'll just consolidate the regressive faction in Beijing for whom the trouble has already been a godsend after so many years on the back foot.

Selection and maintenance of the aim.

The_Big_Show said:
How about a Yes - because it will pi$$ the chinese government right off option
How about no, we live (supposedly) in a democracy, more protests, more embarrassment for the Chinese. Better still encourage the protestors to nail the blue and white takeaway Chinese guard?

KevinB said:
Definitely yes, should send a strong message to the Chinese.
Exactly why we shouldn't do it. It's not 'the Chinese' we want to be sending messages to and even if we did we'd want to send one that will be understood the way we mean it. This is the wrong circumstance for broadcasting on full power.

smartascarrots said:
KevinB said:
Definitely yes, should send a strong message to the Chinese.
Exactly why we shouldn't do it. It's not 'the Chinese' we want to be sending messages to and even if we did we'd want to send one that will be understood the way we mean it. This is the wrong circumstance for broadcasting on full power.
You have a point on that.

The whole of the Olympic ideal (if it ever did exist) has been swamped by commercial interests, money men and dirty politicos. Only ignorant idealists will be enjoying some sort of 'spirit of human endeavour' bo||ocks.

I used to say the Olympic flame was like me because it never goes out. But now it goes out 4 times a night - in Paris.

I only go out to put the bins out.

No it shouldnt be extinuished.
Dont forget,all this trouble is because China invaded Tibet,a very peaceful place, as part of there expansionist/access to India plan in 1951.
Since then the Chinese have systematically destroyed their religious buildings,and killed a large proportion of the population .
Keeping this at the front of the news reminds people of the plight of the tibetans.
Abandoning halfway through would be briefly embarrasing for the Chinese,but easily forgotten.

I would suggest that the Chinese Govt dont give two hoots as to what we think. The supposed heavily censored pictures showing the torch being paraded peacefully around the world for Chinese domestic consumption is what it is all about.

I suppose in 2012 it'll be our turn to be villified because we invaded Iraq because , like it or not, that's how a large section of the world's population see it. Where was all trhe outrage over the Chinese invasion before the Olympics? I can hardly recall seeing any reference to it on TV or in the papers.

salforddude said:
So you missed the Dalai Lama talking about it for the last 49 years?
Can you imagine how bad it must be there under Chinese rule to get a bunch of Buddists angry?
http://www.freetibet.net/action.html
Have a read at this.
Arrse people get outraged at minor things . This transcends outrage
freetibet aren't buddhists, they're Tibetan nationalists. Buddhism is spread throughout the region, across all ethnic groups from India to the Mongolian border and out to the China Sea: some of the adherents riot in violent fashion, some of them don't. The ones who're doing the rioting now are violating their own religion, at least according to DL.

They are at best extremely narrow of view and at worst the fount of some unpleasant bigotry. They're not the only ones to be oppressed under the PRC but instead of focussing activities at a wider coordinated campaign, they seem determined to hang separately. I'm of the opinion they'll get their wish as soon as the Olympics are over.

Too late to give the 2012 games to the French I suppose?

Mind you when you look at the scale of corruption, alledgedly, within the Olympic committee I suppose new liarblair felt right at home.

Also if the flame has been put out three or four times, shouldn't it go back to Athens for a refurb? :?

Latest Threads