Should the British Govt Pay more Attention to Its Muslims?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is this author correct inn his assessment of the errors of the British government in engaging its Muslim population in maintaining support for its Afghanistan strategy/

2. "the former British government minister Tony McNulty was asked if Britain's foreign policy was responsible for radicalising young Muslims."

Stopped reading there.

It's the bloody religion that does it, not our government thank you very much.

3. Agreed. It's because British Muslims have more loyalty to their invisible friend than to their country.

4. I wondered as much when I read that--obviously the writer is trying to persuade the reader to his point of view. This is a twist on the old canard that the US had in effect made Muslims "angry" by its foreign policies and thus the US, not the terrorists was actually to blame for the 9/11 attacks. This notion is in turn premised on that curious and incredibly naive assumption that no one in the world could possibly hate the US (or the UK for that matter) that much merely because the US exists--rather, the US must have done "something" to explain such hatred.

It has been my experience that most with such views have either never been far from home to see much of the rest of the world and how people live or they are blinded by an almost "polly annish" view of the world where evryone is really alike "deep down" if we can just get through that evil nationalism, capitalism, and whatever other "isms" one uses to try to justify the true evil in the world--unchecked human nature inflamed by a violent and oppressive creed.

5. I agree... no one dislikes the current govt as much as me...but muslims will put Allah first and foremost, not what a govt tells them, their intellect suffers for this, hence muslims being radiclized by their own clouded view

6. Muslims were being radicalised long before Iraq, Afghansistan etc. While these conflicts may well be used as the excuse, if it wasn't tem, it would merely be something else.

Some experts claim that it is mainly down to a sense of humiliation at the downfall of The Ottoman Empire and the failure of Islam to match the achievments of the West.

The article above smacks of Anti Americanism to me.

7. Roger all the above. As Churchill put it in The River War over a century ago:

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity.

"Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen; all know how to die; but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith ... and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome."

"Brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen" in their thousands, eh? Those were the days!

8. Given the genocidal hatred between tribes in the Balkans and Africa, and the views of Islamic states about Israel, that notion should not be hard to grasp.

Oh now you've done it - Proletarian Internationalism is the way forward, don'tcha know?! :roll: Marx will be turning in his grave... :wink:

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

No why should the British Goverment bend over backwards to accomodate them?
    It dosen't bend over backwards to accomodate me or anyone else on this website
    The good people who don't agree with the way we live should remember Heatrow and Gatwick do out bound flights too
    Pop over to Saudi if the calling to be a good muslim is so strong

There were riots in Bradford by young Muslims allegadly defending their area against a planned BNP march long before Iraq and Afghanistan (1998 ish)
    The Iraq and Afghanistan issue is just being used an excuse for trouble by idiots
    Hard to feel anything but contemp for people screaming Allah Akbar as they run up a street
    Likewise it's hard to feel anything for contempt for people who feel they need to cause trouble on my behalf against these idiots

They should be intregating with the indiginous population not the other way round

I 'll start the stop watch to see how long it takes this thread to be classed as racist and binned

10. Yes, the British government should be paying more attention to it's Muslims. They should ensure they have enough boats to ship the lot of them out of the UK!

11. If you have an invisable friend you are called a lunatic, except if you are a muslim, christian, ect the you are called religious

12. It might bend over forwards to accommodate you, if it comes in the shape of Lord Mandelson.

13. Why is it that most wars which have been fought on this planet (not counting Star Wars) have been about clashes of religion? Each religion recognises that there is one God (each to his or her own beliefs on that one), Noah, Joshua, Jesus all appear in both the Bible and Koran so WTF can't people live in peace? OK, I may not want to live next to a specific family so either I move or they move. The Gobment would appear to pay a tad more attention to Muslims and their wants and beliefs than other religions IMHO.

14. The reason is that they are noticeable.

Government is not, in my experience, known for its focused and discerning oversight of the nation. It tends only to notice things which are placed under its nose and shaken vigorously.

This may be interpreted in many ways. You Syrup, may choose to conceal yourself under a large cloth when out and about. Surely the alternatives are endless.

Unkind though I am, I must say that in order to be noticed one must do something, in plain site,loudly and often.

B

15. they get enough attention - there's more mosques per muslim capita in the UK than in Iran AND sunnis can practice their version of islam and buy sunni korans unlike in Iran and other majority muslim countries which have similar restrictions on the type of Islam practiced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.