• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Should the Army Cadet Force have its own cap badge?

Ok I suggested it in another thread and with deep heart I open again the can of worms...... with a hope we can have a adult discussion on this :roll:

My view is keep regular/TA cap badge for the following reasons

:salut: Shows/Demonstrates respect and support for said affiliated organisation
:salut: Provides link to community for Reg /TA orgs
:salut: Allows Cadet detachments foot in the door to obtain support from said org
:salut: Gives Cadet detachment unit pride amongst other detachments in county/sector
:salut: Possibly a recruiting tool, but not sure how valuable this is these days, more so for TA
:salut: Could allow disbanded/ merged Regts to "live on" and support/focus for veterans/ links across generation ect.

:plotting: Only good argument I've ever heard about a ACF cap badge is the uniform nature of large parades where all appear the same.

Let battle commence :roll: :wink: ...... what do others think? :?

I think that everybody else will think the exact same thing they thought the last time this exact thread came up. I beleive the name hasnt even changed!!!

I thought the army cadets already have a cap badge? I joined them about a month ago... isn't it that star shaped emblem on the beret?

Quick answer

NO IT Shouldn't

It would then become the ATC where staff wear RAF capbadges ,cadets wear other things and the regimental system pride in detachments would disappear.

Josh.E said:
I thought the army cadets already have a cap badge? I joined them about a month ago... isn't it that star shaped emblem on the beret?
More of a triangular shaped shiny thing really

Who cares, more to the point - how about the female cadets wear school uniform?

Fiji_Bob said:
Ok I suggested it in another thread and with deep heart I open again the can of worms...... with a hope we can have a adult discussion on this :roll:

My view is keep regular/TA cap badge for the following reasons

:salut: Shows/Demonstrates respect and support for said affiliated organisation
:salut: Provides link to community for Reg /TA orgs
:salut: Allows Cadet detachments foot in the door to obtain support from said org
:salut: Gives Cadet detachment unit pride amongst other detachments in county/sector
:salut: Possibly a recruiting tool, but not sure how valuable this is these days, more so for TA

:salut: Could allow disbanded/ merged Regts to "live on" and support/focus for veterans/ links across generation ect.

:plotting: Only good argument I've ever heard about a ACF cap badge is the uniform nature of large parades where all appear the same.

Let battle commence :roll: :wink: ...... what do others think? :?
Agree entirely, badged Royal Regiment of Scotland and our cadets, and CFAVs (proudly) continue to wear the red hackle

Why don't you just switch off your tv set and go and do something less boring instead?

This has been done to death soooo many times.

I'm not particularly interested in this thread but have to say its the first time I have read anything on the [interesting] subject.

Flashman, you didnt have to look in if it bores you. Freedom of choice and all that malarky

Daytona955 said:
I'm not particularly interested in this thread but have to say its the first time I have read anything on the [interesting] subject.

Flashman, you didnt have to look in if it bores you. Freedom of choice and all that malarky
Fair point old chap :)

Just gives the anti ACF element here another chance to fire off their cheap shots (as well as being dull ;) )

I'll go away :oops:

I´ll just readd my view.

Yes. The ACF and CCF should have their own capbadges. Either a generic Corps wide badge or, esp for CCFs, their own.

Regiments and Corps should still be encouraged to look after a Det, particularly if they are near by. This could even increase the appeal, with Inf taking them out one day, Signals the next and the Arty the next.

Within the Dets the Sections could take on the various mantles ie the Sappers and Gunners.

This would also provide a sort of air gap to the regs and TA, which may well appease some of the tree huggers who don´t grasp the bigger picture of what the ACF do. It would enable the Cadets to form their own brand.

I would insist, however, that former soldiers could wear their own capbadges and accoutrements as Adult Instructors. Adults coming in from civvie street (so to speak) would wear the same ACF-CCF capbadge as the younger members.See note.

In terms of the modern idea from ZANU (which has been voiced many times in many circles before they realised that shipping kids off to Kenya wasn´t the way to improve their behaviour) the CCF dets that they wish to form in state schools could wear school emblems (if they have them).

just a thought.

Note. This works at Welbeck DSFC CCF.

I think the ACF should have a common cap badge just like the ATC & SCC. The ACF could have local command shoulder flashes to give them some local identity.

chocolate_frog said:
I´ll just readd my view.

Yes. The ACF and CCF should have their own capbadges. Either a generic Corps wide badge or, esp for CCFs, their own.

Regiments and Corps should still be encouraged to look after a Det, particularly if they are near by. This could even increase the appeal, with Inf taking them out one day, Signals the next and the Arty the next.

Within the Dets the Sections could take on the various mantles ie the Sappers and Gunners.
This would also provide a sort of air gap to the regs and TA, which may well appease some of the tree huggers who don´t grasp the bigger picture of what the ACF do. It would enable the Cadets to form their own brand.

I would insist, however, that former soldiers could wear their own capbadges and accoutrements as Adult Instructors. Adults coming in from civvie street (so to speak) would wear the same ACF-CCF capbadge as the younger members.See note.

In terms of the modern idea from ZANU (which has been voiced many times in many circles before they realised that shipping kids off to Kenya wasn´t the way to improve their behaviour) the CCF dets that they wish to form in state schools could wear school emblems (if they have them).

just a thought.

Note. This works at Welbeck DSFC CCF.
In theory thats a great idea mate but in practise the varying sizes in detachments would preclude you being able to achieve it.
some cadets detachments parade 17 others 70...........

The capbadging to their parent regiment works very well where I am in middx and nw london it's down to the DET adults and TA staff to get as much as possible out of each other support wise.

To name a few who are excellent in supporting their units

4 PARA
47 SQN Middx Yeomanry R.Sigs
HCMR
Gren GDS
2 RRF
151 transport regt RLC

well done and thanks fellas :clap:

as for ccf acf capbadge how does this work in the ccf ?
some schools have thier own capbadge but what do the adults wear ?
and does this vary according to adult being ex-serving or not ?

just a thought answers on the back of a fag packet please..........

TheSpecialOne said:
I think the ACF should have a common cap badge just like the ATC & SCC. The ACF could have local command shoulder flashes to give them some local identity.
one fly in that plan pal, the Cadets in the ATC and SCC do wear their ONE cap badge but then they don't have the regimental system that the Army do have, also the Adult Instructors in the ATC and SCC do wear the FULL capbadge of the Navy and RAF, the ATC is controlled directly by the RAF so they must have given approval for their use on Adults, ditto the Navy even tho they don't have control over SCC directly.

The ATC and SCC are organised differently from the Army cadet, the CCF also wear indvidual regimental cap badges, re Wellback it is a different organisation from the ACF so you can't really compare like for like.

this subject keeps coming up all the time and will not change anything, it is the Government and MOD that makes the decision, not any of you.

chocolate_frog said:
I would insist, however, that former soldiers could wear their own capbadges and accoutrements as Adult Instructors. Adults coming in from civvie street (so to speak) would wear the same ACF-CCF capbadge as the younger members.
It may be used at Welbeck. But why in this context?

Does the ACF have a choice? I think we wear whatever badge the army wants us to wear, and ultimately, they will be the final arbiter of what we stick on our berets. So, is this all speculation then?

But do consider what would happen if AIs were to wear their former cap badge? Don't you think you should wear the same badge as your cadets and show pride in it? Any quals awarded in perpetuity should be worn but thats the only concession.

If you were to allow ex serving AIs their past regimental badges and accoutrements it will look a dogs breakfast, be a QMs nightmare, and alienate those AIs who havent had previous service by making them out to be merely overgrown cadets.

We also have ex RM, RN, RAF and at least three I know who are ex Jamaican Self Defence Force, SADF, and PDF respectively! What cap badge/uniform accoutrements do they wear?

Fcuk, it would look like one of Jimbo Shortt's gatherings!

Also another point that often gets overlooked, its not just TA units that support detachments. My unit is sponsored by 4 Regt AAC.

YES, im sick and tired of going to my TAC and seeing a load of kids running around wearing regimental cap badges...just give them a lion and crossed swords or something