Should Soldiers be offered the opportunity to freeze sperm?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dingerr, Jun 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We are all aware of the threat of IEDs in Afghanistan and the all too often case of soldiers suffering the loss of limbs.

What is not that well known is the genital damage suffered from blasts. This can often result in the loss/damage of both testicals.

The majority of soldiers enduring such wounds are young men without children.

Therefore should sperm freezing and storage awareness be raised during build up to deployment?

Should costs be met by the taxpayer?
  2. Yes and it should be mandatory at basic training
  3. Personally i think yes to both, with the usual ethical safeguards in place ie what to do if Mrs Soldier demands use of sperm after demise of Mr Soldier, do you allow genetic screening etc etc
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I go along with BB.
  5. the opportunity comes up on excercise in Norway
  6. Why not just rehydrate a G10 sock.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Rather bizarrely I was talking to someone yesterday regarding the £10k payout for this, and the subject reared its head.

Effectively you are looking at a Bde Grp x 2 sized storage facility which would roll its product over every 12 months or so (ie donation prior to deployment and then held for 12 months except for those injured).

There are quite a few ethics involved, such as should you require donors to be already married/with a partner, how long should the samples be held post injury and up until what age etc etc.

It wouldn't be cheap initially, and there would be an awful lot of flack from the moralistic lobbies; but it is certainly an interesting concept and one that should probably be looked into, even if the MoD only treated it in the same way as deployment insurance (ie offloaded to private contractor at personal cost).
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Only if you made it compulsory. If voluntary can you see many of the 18, 19 & 20 odd year olds taking up the offer?

I can't.

More to do with their attitude toward thinking of the future at that age and the inbuilt perceived immortality of youth. So I don't think it would be on such a large scale or cost a massive amount.
  9. You'll notice this is NOT the NAAFI bar. Immature quips don't aid a serious subject and only serve to embarrass yourself.
  10. There's a whole big ethical minefield to start with (scuse the pun, it wasn't intentional). As someone else pointed out, young lads think they're immortal but they are the very ones who'd get the most benefit later on if they saved sperm! How many 18 year old soldiers have met their life partner?
  11. My thoughts exactly.
  12. I agree, but those that disagree have the option to opt out, I'd like to opt in! I'd definitely do this if the chance arose.
  13. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Somewhat diverging from the original intended purpose of the thread, but would issuing armoured (soft armour only, not hard!) groin protectors do any good? Decent soft armour will stop most fragments, and a way to attach it to Osprey could probably be found.

A way to not make it smack you in the balls every time you got up/ran would also need to be found, mind.
  14. I agree, good idea. If you have ever had to deal with war widows (I have) or recently bereaved parents (I haven't) then I think you can see a lot of good could come of this if it is accepted.
  15. I think the flaw there, is that logistically it, the bank, would have to be set up in advance so the costs would have to reflect the potential uptake. A few, more or less, test-tubes per Brigade wouldn't really make a lot of cost difference.

IMHO it should not be publically funded, though, if soldiers wish to save for the future they should be encouraged to on.