Should parliament be recalled for the duration of the crisis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Jul 25, 2005.

?
  1. No, the Dear Leader can do it all by phone from the Bahamas

10.0%
  2. Yes - crisis crisis crisis!

6.7%
  3. Yes - its a little bit messed up but the s0ds should set an example

83.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm confused.

Is it "business as normal" with bombs on the Tube and open season on anyone who runs from the cops?

Or is the country going down the sh!tter while Bliar and Straw say "nothing to do with us, guv"?

Or is it SNAFU, but a good chance to make the political trough-snouts work for their money and sweat a bit?

Shoul parliament sit out the summer in London with the rest of us?

(as I live north of the border the last point is sincerely meant in spirit!)

2. Well, as I understand it, everyone involved in the security services have had all their leave cancelled, and are working their nuts off to get to the bottom of this.

Our honourable representatives in Parliament ought to be doing their damndest to support them, and should be working into the wee small hours on preventative legislation and good-old fashioned political diplomacy on their part. Anything less is a dereliction of duty.

3. .....everyone in the 'security services' have had all their leave cancelled.....??????? don't think so.................

4. Crisis? What crisis?

I don't think this is the time to recall Parliament from recess, mainly because the 'crisis' as you put it can be and is being managed by the duty ministers and the government departments involved. Calling a halt to normality is not particularly smart in my opinion, as it sends a signal that the terrorists would love to see.

Not that I have a brief for him, but John Major's handling of the No10 mortaring is a good indicator: Cabinet was meeting when the mortars fell and the Cabinet Room was damaged, the meeting was moved to another room and was continued. The PM trusted the security apparatus to kick in and do its job, which it did.

Its not a case of sticking your head in the sand and pretending everything is ok, but this is not such a 'crisis' that normal life must suffer. I would advocate normality with a due sense of caution.

5. What can they do about it if recalled? Make long speeches condeming said attacks. That's helpful. Best leave them on holiday where they can do no harm. Then, when the dust settles, see if something needs to be done.

6. Loads of us CIVPOL have been drafted in, and many of us are working long hours but a roster has been implemented (for example I've had today off). Despite the current threat people are still being burgled/ robbed/ etc. I know it's a horrible management word, but "Resilience" is very important.

I think the telling thing about Parlimament not sitting at the moment is that nobody has noticed. The Machine keeps moving, we'll get them back as and when we need them.

Lastly: No fan of Blair, but he's playing this one about right in my humble. Gotta be fair, I can think of some people angling for the top spot in the Tories who I wouldn't trust :: cough :: Cameron :: cough ::

V!

7. Naw, leave 'em on holiday, they can't do any damage that way.

8. spot on mate. Let the security services do their job and sort the problem out and if they need help from parliment then they shoudl receive it's full backing. However, to recall parliment over the summer would be an admission that the terrorists had changed our routines and way of life. Two fingers to them!

9. Jesus! Don't get the b*ggers to come back early, they do enough damage in the limited time they already attend the Palace of Westminster! All the legislation plod will ever need and then some is already at their disposal, if Parliament reforms for an emergency session they'll only come up with something even more bizarre and useless.
    Rant complete. Out.

10. Does nobody else think that there is more to this than just catching a bunch of criminals? What about ensuring good relations between the authorities and the Muslim community, who at the moment are just a little bit touchy. If all the MPs bugger off on holiday, what message does that send out to the Muslims in the UK? We don't care? The MPs ought to be on the case doing some leg-work and diplomacy and showing the Muslim community that the authorities do care about them. Very basic stuff, but some quality face time, listening to their concerns and that kind of thing might be just what is required to get and keep them onside.

Many of the posts on other threads have (rightly) made mention of the fact that the Muslim community seem to be playing the "we're victims too" card (at least if you would believe the impression you get off the media). If our authorities, starting with the MPs, work hard on winning the hearts and minds of this community, who seem to be a bit unsure of where they stand, it could do wonders for getting their support in outing budding terrorist cells.

11. ^ Fair point Bits, but what about the old "carry on as you are, don't let the terrorists win, carry on what you're doing as normal..." etc?

V!

12. I fully agree V, but I think the MPs get far too much time off as it is. Work the buggers harder, I say! :twisted:

13. No whatever you do don't recall Parliament, they'd only feel the need to ban something (probably rucksacks or tupperware) but would in reality acheive sod all of any material use.
    I don't think they get enough time off, 24 weeks a year should be enough time to debate and pass any legistaltion we actualy need[/i] and that's using the present Parliamentry system.

14. the lazy t0ssers should get their rear ends back in there. No-one else gets such a long break, even the teachers only get 40-odd days at this time of year. The arguement that they do constituency work during the break is a load of balls, because they do that during the the parliamentary session as well, thats why there's usually so few of them in the House during the debates.