Should our bobbies be armed?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HantsTiger, May 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We've discussed this before on ARRSE, but I firmly believe it's time to tool them up with guns. There again, I live in Manchester and every week there's some sort of shooting going on. A bloke has just been on the TV telling how he was shot 8 times in a pub up the road from here (and survived). A case of mistaken identity.

Give the coppers a chance, tool them up.

2. We've all been there, out on the streets following the rules as laid down in a green/white/yellow/blue card that puts all the odds in the favour of the 'bad' guys.

Even armed the bad guys will still have the upper hand as they can open fire without warning and without regard for innocent by-standers. But I think that they may think twice about using guns if they know that there were trained armed police officers out there who would use lethal force if required.

It's time that the scales were tipped in favour of the good guys for once, if not by arming the police, by some other way.

3. No way, don't let the rozzers have guns.....it would be like giving a gun to an 18yr old pay corps Sgt....facking unthinkable

(is there still an RAPC ?)

4. armourer, shut your ****ing mouth. I believe it has become necessary, sadly, that the PSNI should no longer be the only UK police force to arm all it's officers.

5. I am all in favour of giving the bobbies a fair chance and arming them BUT, and here, pp hit hte nail on the head. The powers that be would make the ROE so fcking complicated for the poor bar stewards, that they would be sh1t scared of using their weapons for fear of being crucified for unlawful killing or something. :evil:

6. Gents I worked with the police in the North West of England for two years.
    Belive me there is no shortage of heavily armed police circulating in vans/range rovers and they are highly trained in all aspects of firearms.
    john

7. Jonwilly - no shortage? Dont know which force you were with but the force i liase with dont have nearly enough and they're huge.

8. Manchester,Liverpool.Lancs and N Wales.
    I am not qualified to say if they have enough, but they certainly do have well trained firearms qualified officers.
    the officers as you will apriciate, are under considerable strain due to the nature of their duties and the fact that evry shot fired will be investigated.
    Chosen bobbies to carry out a difficult duty.
    john

9. They are well trained, they need to be with, as you mentioned every shot being under scrutiny they can not afford to make mistakes. They are assessed every 3 months to ensure they are still deemed acceptable, fail and they have to 3 months to be re-assessed.

10. i feel its not visable enough

11. Mainland police forces do not like to have firearms on display

12. i know but i feel visability is an obvious deterent.
    no point hiding it inside a patrol car they are not going to know thatthe policeman they are facing is armed so is unable to either back down or shoot him in a act of bravado

13. get facked, half the rozzers don't want them, and are shit scared of them. Give all plod guns and watch the negligent discharges, lost guns and innocent bystanders shot and the amount of times that a gun was used inappropiatley will be amazing.

If you arm the whole plod, there will be a lack of training etc etc

*LONDON - More than three quarters of British police officers don't want to carry guns even though criminals are increasingly using weapons, according to a study.

A Police Federation survey of 13,000 officers found that 78 percent did not want to carry guns on everyday duties Almost 60 percent said they would resign rather than accept an order to carry a firearm.*

You want to force plods that don't want guns to carry them ????? facking clever or what ?

14. Gents when i worked alongside the police I would say that most officers did not want to be armed and to have the ultimate responsibility, which should be that of 12 good men and true and a judge.
    i had many a debate where i argued that the ordinary man in the street wanted to see more uniformed officers on the street ,mainly to visably deter, the criminal.
    i do believe that the police now have the system they want, i am not qualified to argue numbers.
    They have a difficult job and one of their main conncerns express to me was that of the PC brigade.
    i have live most of my life where the penalty for murder was death, and while i would not execute all i will go to my grave believing that for some murders there should be the ultimate penalty.
    I never understood why we pay £100,000's/year to keep insane psycopaths locked up and a few tens of £ for OAPs.
    john