Should National Service be brought back?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Trick, Nov 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Discuss.
    Bearing in mind that National Service isn't the same as Military service.

2. Do you mean like a "social or military service" option?

3. Yes. eg fire service, ambulance care assistant etc

Although I do think there should be a compulsory fitness part of the service, like you have when you join up, to combat obesity.

4. I think it would be a great idea although, would be a huge cultural shift for the country as a whole. A huge number of people do this anyway, but giving it a focus and making it "whole nation" would be very positive.

5. Would it be too late to solve the problems of the last (two, perhaps?) generation(s)?

6. A 180 degree turn about and go back to way it was shift though.
    It'd solve (to an extent):
    Anti-social behaviour
    Obesity
    Make war less likely
    Make conflicts we do commit ourselves more winnable
    Help the services that people would work in

Irrelevant. Something has got to be done to try to solve it. And then we'll find out.

7. And re-instil the pride of Britain that seems to be oh so lacking nowadays?

Im all for it. School leaving age =18 soon, so you could have the choice to leave school at 15 / 16 and go vocational with a few years of National Service in either the Armed Forces or other National Institutions, or take an acedemic route and have a 6-year stay, and then you do a few years service, albeit with sanctions regarding your higher level of education?

8. [quote="SparkySteve]

Im all for it. School leaving age =18 soon, so you could have the choice to leave school at 15 / 16 and go vocational with a few years of National Service in either the Armed Forces or other National Institutions, or take an acedemic route and have a 6-year stay, and then you do a few years service, albeit with sanctions regarding your higher level of education?[/quote]

Agreed. Another possible option is random lottery? Although I don't think that'd solve societies ill's as effectively.

How about a few Penal Regiments? And a Foreign Legion type regiments (although with a better name than Foreign Legion)?

We might even be able to train the RM into something military-like :p

9. I think a Random Lottery would be opposed, stronger than a choice option.

Also, i think that having it solely focused on the Military would not be very welcome, in the present climate!

Could broaden it into immigration as well, "You want to come here, you do two years in a Force of your choice as soon as, then you wil be eligible for citizenship"

10. And of course it would increase members in the regular forces, and other services. And make sure that immigrants can speak english (although which immigrants we have to do service? ones from outside the eu or?...).
    Another thing national service would help solve - unemployment.

Can we have someone enter the thread saying that this idea is in breach of people's rights etc?

11. Sod peoples rights, too long have they been hidden behind.

All immigrants, from all countrys. Also might make the shirkers who came here without intent think twice about raising shirking kids.

12. In short yes.

13. It's not the job of the HM Forces to solve the ills of UK society.
    I think national service should only be brought back when there's an actual military need,as opposed to wanting to 'knock some sense into da yoof'.

(edited 4 crapiness)

14. Why not? Surely the aim of the forces is to protect the country? So why can't it be used to protect the country from itself?

15. It's a social problem,not a military one.