• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Should National Service be brought back?

Yes. eg fire service, ambulance care assistant etc

Although I do think there should be a compulsory fitness part of the service, like you have when you join up, to combat obesity.

I think it would be a great idea although, would be a huge cultural shift for the country as a whole. A huge number of people do this anyway, but giving it a focus and making it "whole nation" would be very positive.

A 180 degree turn about and go back to way it was shift though.
It'd solve (to an extent):
Anti-social behaviour
Obesity
Make war less likely
Make conflicts we do commit ourselves more winnable
Help the services that people would work in

SparkySteve said:
Would it be too late to solve the problems of the last (two, perhaps?) generation(s)?
Irrelevant. Something has got to be done to try to solve it. And then we'll find out.

Trick said:
A 180 degree turn about and go back to way it was shift though.
It'd solve (to an extent):
Anti-social behaviour
Obesity
Make war less likely
Make conflicts we do commit ourselves more winnable
Help the services that people would work in
And re-instil the pride of Britain that seems to be oh so lacking nowadays?

Trick said:
SparkySteve said:
Would it be too late to solve the problems of the last (two, perhaps?) generation(s)?
Irrelevant. Something has got to be done to try to solve it. And then we'll find out.
Im all for it. School leaving age =18 soon, so you could have the choice to leave school at 15 / 16 and go vocational with a few years of National Service in either the Armed Forces or other National Institutions, or take an acedemic route and have a 6-year stay, and then you do a few years service, albeit with sanctions regarding your higher level of education?

[quote="SparkySteve]

Im all for it. School leaving age =18 soon, so you could have the choice to leave school at 15 / 16 and go vocational with a few years of National Service in either the Armed Forces or other National Institutions, or take an acedemic route and have a 6-year stay, and then you do a few years service, albeit with sanctions regarding your higher level of education?[/quote]

Agreed. Another possible option is random lottery? Although I don't think that'd solve societies ill's as effectively.

How about a few Penal Regiments? And a Foreign Legion type regiments (although with a better name than Foreign Legion)?

We might even be able to train the RM into something military-like :p

I think a Random Lottery would be opposed, stronger than a choice option.

Also, i think that having it solely focused on the Military would not be very welcome, in the present climate!

Could broaden it into immigration as well, "You want to come here, you do two years in a Force of your choice as soon as, then you wil be eligible for citizenship"

And of course it would increase members in the regular forces, and other services. And make sure that immigrants can speak english (although which immigrants we have to do service? ones from outside the eu or?...).
Another thing national service would help solve - unemployment.

Can we have someone enter the thread saying that this idea is in breach of people's rights etc?

Sod peoples rights, too long have they been hidden behind.

All immigrants, from all countrys. Also might make the shirkers who came here without intent think twice about raising shirking kids.

It's not the job of the HM Forces to solve the ills of UK society.
I think national service should only be brought back when there's an actual military need,as opposed to wanting to 'knock some sense into da yoof'.

(edited 4 crapiness)

Random_Task said:
It's not the job of the HMF's to solve UK societies ills. I think national service should only be brought back when there's an actual military need,as opposed to wanting to 'knock some sense into da yoof'.
Why not? Surely the aim of the forces is to protect the country? So why can't it be used to protect the country from itself?

Trick said:
Random_Task said:
It's not the job of the HMF's to solve UK societies ills. I think national service should only be brought back when there's an actual military need,as opposed to wanting to 'knock some sense into da yoof'.
Why not? Surely the aim of the forces is to protect the country? So why can't it be used to protect the country from itself?
It's a social problem,not a military one.

Doesn't have to be military, could be meals on wheels, reading to blind kids, building community centres, cleaning national monuments. Give them something they could be proud of 20 years down the line. I know if as an 18 year old I spent a year cleaning statues I would be mighty displeased if I saw someone drawing grafitti on it!
The problem as I see it, is finding enough meanigful projects that could actually be monitored so people actually do them.

jimbojetset said:
Doesn't have to be military, could be meals on wheels, reading to blind kids, building community centres, cleaning national monuments. Give them something they could be proud of 20 years down the line. I know if as an 18 year old I spent a year cleaning statues I would be mighty displeased if I saw someone drawing grafitti on it!
The problem as I see it, is finding enough meanigful projects that could actually be monitored so people actually do them.
That sounds sensible,and probably more beneficial to society & the armed forces,than simply opting to 'stick 'em all in uniform'.

Random Task, you didn't read the first post did you? (or first 3 posts)

And isn't the military a service to society? So why can it not be part of the solution to societies ill's today?

Trick said:
Random Task, you didn't read the first post did you? (or first 3 posts)

And isn't the military a service to society? So why can it not be part of the solution to societies ill's today?
I'd agree with JimboJetSet's notion of national service. Of course military service is a service to society, (don't think I ever disputed that) I just don't think national service in a military context would be good for UK armed forces.

Trick said:
Random_Task said:
It isn't the job of the Forces, but if we are superbly suited and positioned to carry out the task why not?

I would like to see the National Service covering Fire, Ambulance and Police (with approrpriate training), Armed Forces esp in a support role and all could cover the various contingency type tasks.

The RNLI could perhaps benefit from similar status, nurse auxilaries on the wards to help out, and in oap homes

Obviously with various checks.

National Service would also encompass the unemployed and convicted.

6 months dole, long enough to find a job and then on to state employment. Parks need sweeping, roads need road kill and litter removing. Old cars and other items need stripping down to their component parts for recycle.

The less tasty jobs would go to the convicts. Convicted of a crime, but not a danger to society? Move in to a bail hostel, you will be expected to pay food and accomodation, up at silly o'clock to go out and collect refuse. Then go to work (or have it set for you) then go out and clean the streets.

Back to you bed.

Those in prison would sort the rubbish. Others would power huge tread mills for electricity. And they would be billed food and accomodation.

Works for me.

Latest Threads