• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Should MPFs write their own reports?

HEART_STOPPER said:
You know Stretch New then???????
oh yes............................ :shakefist: :frustrated: :shakefist: :frustrated:

I think Knocker was bullied by planties so that's why he doesn't like us! As for the reports thing my MPF used to get me to write the Admin Instructions for various visits etc and it does pay off later on. I found that my defence writing skills were better than a lot of others because it was something I'd had to do for proper jobs so I knew what had to go in them to make them work.

Having seen the standard of some of the MPF's who have passed recently, i wouldnt trust them to write a report, in my humble opinion most MPF's are only on the course because they struggle to operate, how many have got their instructors ticket? not many!! :shakefist:

Once you get above full screw is there any need for you to operate all the time? Not really because that's not your job any more (ignoring LSNs, if you go by them an HQ Sqn Plant Troop Sgt is down as a Case operator). Your job is to supervise the guys operating etc. Again it comes down the point that it is easy to slate people for doing courses like that but the people who are doing the slating haven't had the balls to even try for it.

plant_life said:
I think Knocker was bullied by planties so that's why he doesn't like us!
think again P_L :threaten: :plotting: :threaten: :plotting:

Dont have to operate all the time as a Snco, but when you have to it doesnt look good when you dont know the machine!! Been there done it and got the TShirt, there are some good MPF's out there and there are some crap one's. Ive seen some of the application forms that have been submitted and they are a disgrace, spelling mistakes aplenty, bad grammer and blatent lies but the board loves "characters" and they end up on the course, M***b** is a prime example.

Was that a bite there? Reel him! Knocker, if you are being bullied here are some numbers for you:
08457 - 909090: Samaritans
0800 - 7314880:Confidential Support Line
Don't know what unit you are with but I'm sure they have access to a Padre.
Failing that try www.phonesomeonewhogivesafcuk.com

Also you've got to think that the MPF will be given loads of different tasks, all at varying levels. If a task is a section task why shouldn't he get the section commander who is running the task to write the report?

plant_life said:
Was that a bite there? Reel him! Knocker, if you are being bullied here are some numbers for you:
08457 - 909090: Samaritans
0800 - 7314880:Confidential Support Line
Don't know what unit you are with but I'm sure they have access to a Padre.
Failing that try www.phonesomeonewhogivesafcuk.com
:yawnstretch: :yawnstretch: :yawnstretch: :yawnstretch:

plant_life said:
Also you've got to think that the MPF will be given loads of different tasks, all at varying levels. If a task is a section task why shouldn't he get the section commander who is running the task to write the report?

Here here

As a lancejack I was put incharge of a fairly large project and my Troop Sgt made me do everything that the job entailed, and I mean everything...I was a bit p*ssed at this but got on with it and done it. It was very rewarding and stood me in good stead for further courses and projects.
My Troop Sgt was MORE than capable of all aspects of the POM and was a good leader....

sapper1743 said:
KOPKING77

If they liked characters then I would have breezed in.....they like 'YES ' men...

p.s. Use a spell checker b4 posting please.
As someone with a vague idea of how the MPF stream and selection process works (or used to - I've been away from it for a bit now), I can honestly say that neither "yes" men or "characters" were favoured or otherwise. The selection board in my time was self regulating, and attempts by any board member to favour anyone other than on merit were scotched immediately. That is not to say that some idiots slipped through the net (I stand before you as a slightly dulled example), but most of the MPFs I studied with, worked alongside and ultimately taught were good blokes - and most of them had the strength of character to stand up and say so when they felt something was wrong. As regards report writing - PSCs and Plant Sgts were routinely given projects by MPFs to plan, mount, execute and recover from - this was (and I hope still is) standard practice (practise?) - and is indeed a "coming on" process.

KOPKING - I hope my speling and grandma are not two disgraceful.....

The interview process at the puzzle palace has little to do with the likely hood of you get in a place on the MPF course. If you are in zone for Sgt, or are a Sgt and have enough time left to serve chances are you are on the course, irrelevant of what happens in the interview or how well/badly you do on the tests. B*****n is testament to this (by his own admission) and good luck to him, wouldn’t hold it against anyone. Obviously I am just bitter should have applied in 2005

I don't think this is always the case. 20 or so people applied for this years course and only 6 or 7 got accepted!

Agreed, but (and I stand by to be corrected) of those that where successful one is a Sgt one A/Sgt and six, in zone for promotion, Cpls.
Of the four strongly advised to re-apply or the five not recommended to re-apply all where not in zone for promotion.
Records required eight for the course eight fitted the bill as to rank or in zone and time left, had only seven fitted the bill one of the nine that didn’t get lucky would have been put on the course.
A long winded reply and tricky without using names.

Born_to_dig said:
Agreed, but (and I stand by to be corrected) of those that where successful one is a Sgt one A/Sgt and six, in zone for promotion, Cpls.
Of the four strongly advised to re-apply or the five not recommended to re-apply all where not in zone for promotion.
Records required eight for the course eight fitted the bill as to rank or in zone and time left, had only seven fitted the bill one of the nine that didn’t get lucky would have been put on the course.
A long winded reply and tricky without using names.
It does make sense to take the pick of the crop if you are having an interview process! BtD, who would you rather have as an MFP the useless git who would never get promoted and is only doing the course to queue jump, or the decent bloke who would have got promoted anyway?

Do you think the course will be this popular if/when they rename it to Clerk of Works horizontal? :meditate:

I seem to remember a MPF letting me in on a secret-the first MPF course had 12 students-11 of them Fitter RE! That is to say the real Fitter who used to learn lots and do more, even operate!

I worked with many MPFs before going over to the really dark side. Some good , some bad but most if you the truth be told were good blokes who could operate and more than anything they had experience! Could the same be said of all COW (Mech) ? Me thinks not!

Planties are and always will be pond life to this call sign! Having to fix their mistakes whilst knocking, fix their machines whilst fitting I can only thank God that their entrance score is lower than the Infantry, or else we would have more people! If you think that is Irish you should look up irony in a dictoniary - dictoonayr book with words in!

But Planty vs Shovel RE- Planty wins everytime! Shoot did I just say that, must get to the MO quickly-which is hard for a pie eating plant fitter:)

Anyway what about COW and GEs who palm off all the crap jobs to the young artisans then tweek the draft , claim the report and finally have the neck to suggest the said JNCO has some room for improvement with regards to DW.

In reaply to Priam (I can't type quick enough)
How about this way around the guy who has been a stripy a while knows he will not get promoted any time soon has six years left applies for the MPF course hits the criteria for records and is on the course then bums along getting PSC’s to write his reports. On the flip side there is a two year full screw been on Op tours excellent grasp of current construction principals keen not in zone doesn’t got on the course.

Got to get the kids ready for bed will be back

Born_to_dig said:
In reaply to Priam (I can't type quick enough)
How about this way around the guy who has been a stripy a while knows he will not get promoted any time soon has six years left applies for the MPF course hits the criteria for records and is on the course then bums along getting PSC’s to write his reports. On the flip side there is a two year full screw been on Op tours excellent grasp of current construction principals keen not in zone doesn’t got on the course.

Got to get the kids ready for bed will be back
Mate, that sounds a little specific!! Which could make it look like maybe you have an axe to grind with the Sgt, who could quite feasibly be your MFP at the moment getting PSCs to write his reports, and see yourself as the 2 year Cpl PSC. Hypothetical situation, but if true and he is reading this I reckon he will probably have a good idea who you are too!

If this isn't just a chance to take an anonymous potshot at your boss and the MFP you are on about is as bad as you say, then the selection process has failed to spot him and another stroker has slipped through the net!! Absofcukinglutely nothing you can do about it but weather the storm and hope he lets himself down in a highly embarrasing and public a manner as possible! Fact of life I'm afraid mate the system is not infallible!

I am not an expert on the selection criteria for the MFP course, but a mate of mine was selected for MFP and I'm pretty sure it was before he was in Zone for promotion to Sgt.

All what if's mate.
Re-read it and it so sounds like I am the 2 year Cpl PSC I'm not. Does sound a little specific, it isn’t.
It is just the way I see the interview/board process might/could work.
My MPF is an O.K. bloke I would follow him anywhere, out of curiosity!

With out going around in circles, with reference to ‘your mate’. If the year he applied they required say 5 pax and of the say 9 that applied only 3 where in zone then they will look at the other 6 not in zone blokes to make up the places, and good on them.

I can see I am going to get blown out if the water with my theory. But the last three courses appear to have worked this way