Should Mountaineers Carry Rescue Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by CptDanjou, Jul 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Putting the disaster in France aside as I`m talking about in the UK, should it be compulsory for hill walkers and mountaineers to have insurance to cover rescue ? No one needs to go up mountains other than rangers and farmers.

I believe mountain rescue are a voluntary service but the police , ambulance service and the RAF are not , to get someone off the side of Ben Nevis or the likes in a helo costs thousands and the bill is footed by the tax payer,( big helo`s cost anything from £3k p.h to run ), not to mention the risks involved to the rescue teams.

If you've been injured in an RTA you will no doubt had a bill off the hospital/ambulance service , I think it`s time the mountaineering lot paid up for their irresponsible behaviour , I`m sure a policy would not cost more than £20 - £30 p.a. , alternatively they should have their assets seized to cover costs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. This is an old old chestnut. No there should be no charge for any rescue.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have insurance which comes with membership of the German Alpine Club, it is reciprocal with all the other European Alpine countries Mountaineering clubs, covered me in Russian Caucasus (I checked), and the UK.
    Whether the rescue organisation would make a claim or not is something I don't think happens, at least in EU countries.

4. Only after cyclists and horse riders pay for their ambulances/hospital/etc... if you start, where do you stop?

5. My mortgage application required me to be a member of the BMC or other such like organisation. That aside it is normally the under prepared with out the correct skill set that require rescuing.

Saying that the emperor has nearly snared me in zero viz.

6. Can't agree, but perhaps we should be looking at criminal negligence charges against any muppet who goes up Ben Nevis in a T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops because it was sunny when he set off and needs to be returned home in an air ambulance. A few days in the nick or a substantial fine might be in order.

7. They do as far as I know ,I came off a motorbike and got a bill.

8. No. It would be the start of a slippery slope where insurance would be required for every activity you could imagine.

Also, would the mountain rescue team turn up, check insurance details, and **** off leaving someone to die if they weren't covered?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Why should the tax payer finance recovery for an unessential activity ?

10. With regard to insurance, it is vital that you understand what pursuits you are covered for, by your Life Insurance, Disability cover, Accident Insurance and so on.

You should also check policies to ensure you are covered if out of UK (and what notification they require) and the exclusions for high risk sports and pursuits.

Non-disclosure of this type of activity is one of the main reasons claims get turned down, this can even include, off-piste skiing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ive got a Spanish FAC and hunting license , its law there to have public liability insurance for shooting/hunting, I take out insurance voluntary here.

Of course they should not leave them to die , but they should invoice them for the expenses.

12. No, but an RNLI approach where the rescued are presented a bill for the 'shout' would be appropriate... with a DD form for a couple of quid a year or information on how to fundraise for them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If it is the most practical way, yes.

14. As a diver I am expected to have some form of insurance for the what if the big yellow taxi is called to take me to the pot

Dont see why the climby bods should be any different

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Which is why I gave up with UK life insurance cover years ago....