Should MOD recognise WWI veteran without records?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AlMiles, Nov 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Fair one to me. If the old boys themselves say he is good to go, I'd say he should be officially recognised

2. There is already a thread on this:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=109952.html

Personally, I don't doubt his word, however, I think that he should not be counted as a veteran because he did not deploy. No disrespect to the man, but I think the term “WW1 Veteran” should be limited to those who actually went into danger.

3. I sort of see your point, but "He was a central part of the war effort because he was a truck driver." They also serve, etc...

And he ought to be able to attend the Cenotaph alongside the other three as he should be allowed to remember his mates in the same way.

He could also have been ordered into danger at any moment - it's all "luck" in a way who gets put in harm's way.

4. Plenty of people were “central to the war effort” without ever putting a uniform on. Are we going to count munitions workers as “WW1 Veterans” as well?

Regarding the “he could have been ordered into danger” on that basis I can count myself as a veteran of the Falklands, both Gulf Wars, Afghanistan and and sundry minor conflicts.

By the way, I am discounting one of my own grandfathers as well. He was a reservist before WW1, was mobilised but not sent overseas because he was too old. He died before he could tell me his stories, but I get the impression from other relatives that he regarded himself as a veteran of the South African War but not WW1.

5. A close family member was killed in Action in WW1 and i am happy fo this gentleman to be officially recognised.

Attached Files:

6. You're a liar, Chubb. Go away.

7. Chubb I checked the lineage of the soldier's grave in the photo you posted in the Gallery and it shows as having no relation to you.

Disgusting cnuts trick.

This ID will be gone in a couple of hours, like all the others, make the most of it.

8. For MOD TO DIS -CREDIT A USER ON THIS SITE WHEN THEY ARE SAYING THE TRUTH IS A DISCRACE

9. FOR A COMPLETE FUCKWIT TO CONTINUE TO LOG-IN DESPITE BEING BANNED NEARLY 200 TIMES WHO THEN LIES ABOUT HAVING CANCER, MILITARY BOYFRIENDS, FAMILY MEMBERS WHO HAVE DIED DURING THE WAR IS A FUCKING DISGRACE.

10. So this veteran is a Walt then?

11. I think that the old boy is more representing all those who didnt come home so if he actually didnt serve does it really matter ??

12. Lots of WW2 veterans never left the UK but they still served and they could very easily have been deployed!

Let him go to the Cenotaph.

Oh - I was nearly rude then - Bye Chubb :tp: