Should Military "Service" be recognised - Vet badge or Medal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fuggyred, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. I find it is usually those who served but had no opportunity to get a "being there" gong who want a Veterans medal. Personally I think the Vets badge is quite fetching and I wear mine regularly. Whereas my medals I tend to wear not so much.
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I wear my medal on my jim jams as I find it makes an impression on the ladies
  4. I wear my veteran's badge at every opportunity and my enamel poppy at all times.
  5. I wear my veterans badge whenever I go out as well as my Not Forgotten Association badge.

I also admit that I wear a bought 'bling' badge ... the NI veterans badge!
  6. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Why should service in the forces qualify for an award or special recognition? Extraordinary service is recognised already as is long service and even just being there (operational medals to those in theatre who did their jobs but were never under the dangers of the teeth arm).

As a case in point, I spent time in the regular army and TA, yet didn't 'go there' or 'do that'. Why should that service be recognised? Without 'going there' and 'doing that' it was just a job. Not worth recognition.
  7. Thats like saying:

"Should football players have a trophy for training for the FA cup for 10 years, being willing to take part in it, however never actually doing it."

Please god no more medals for medals sake. Keep it the way they are and leave ridiculous amounts of ribbon to Russian Moon Men.

The harder they are to earn. The more pride you will have in wearing it!
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

A fine organisation:
  9. I am a member :)
  10. Fer Gawdsake, yet another call for a medal for not going anywhere dodgy (Reeperbahn excepted). Fellas, just accept that you didn't qualify for medals when in service, and be proud of the service you gave regardless.

Personally, I give credence to a Veteran's badge far more than the "Conspicuous Wardodging Cross mit oakleaves und bratwurst" gongs that you tend to see come remembrance day.

But then, I've got some tin, so I don't know how I'd feel if I'd been 22 and out with ficht alles to show for it.
  11. I'm joining! Look at their Santas!!

Attached Files:

12. totally agree with unknown. the awards are there for those who have participated in theatre and i must stress i am not belittling those that didnt or couldnt go for whatever reason.

but to give an award for serving would bring out a whole load of walts who perhaps didnt make it through basic but would argue they were qllowed the medal for being in a week and sacking it because they missed their mummies and also the other walts who would buy them and add to their already filled chests to strut about on remembrance parades.

we would end up looking like the US
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It's still a fine organisation :wink:
  14. LSGC?
    A Jubilee of some affair?