Should Military "Service" be recognised - Vet badge or Medal

Should an official Medal replace the Veterans Badge

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I find it is usually those who served but had no opportunity to get a "being there" gong who want a Veterans medal. Personally I think the Vets badge is quite fetching and I wear mine regularly. Whereas my medals I tend to wear not so much.

I wear my veteran's badge at every opportunity and my enamel poppy at all times.

I wear my veterans badge whenever I go out as well as my Not Forgotten Association badge.

I also admit that I wear a bought 'bling' badge ... the NI veterans badge!

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
Why should service in the forces qualify for an award or special recognition? Extraordinary service is recognised already as is long service and even just being there (operational medals to those in theatre who did their jobs but were never under the dangers of the teeth arm).

As a case in point, I spent time in the regular army and TA, yet didn't 'go there' or 'do that'. Why should that service be recognised? Without 'going there' and 'doing that' it was just a job. Not worth recognition.

Thats like saying:

"Should football players have a trophy for training for the FA cup for 10 years, being willing to take part in it, however never actually doing it."

Please god no more medals for medals sake. Keep it the way they are and leave ridiculous amounts of ribbon to Russian Moon Men.

The harder they are to earn. The more pride you will have in wearing it!

oldbaldy

LE
Fer Gawdsake, yet another call for a medal for not going anywhere dodgy (Reeperbahn excepted). Fellas, just accept that you didn't qualify for medals when in service, and be proud of the service you gave regardless.

Personally, I give credence to a Veteran's badge far more than the "Conspicuous Wardodging Cross mit oakleaves und bratwurst" gongs that you tend to see come remembrance day.

But then, I've got some tin, so I don't know how I'd feel if I'd been 22 and out with ficht alles to show for it.

totally agree with unknown. the awards are there for those who have participated in theatre and i must stress i am not belittling those that didnt or couldnt go for whatever reason.

but to give an award for serving would bring out a whole load of walts who perhaps didnt make it through basic but would argue they were qllowed the medal for being in a week and sacking it because they missed their mummies and also the other walts who would buy them and add to their already filled chests to strut about on remembrance parades.

we would end up looking like the US

oldbaldy

LE
Themanwho said:
Fer Gawdsake, yet another call for a medal for not going anywhere dodgy (Reeperbahn excepted). Fellas, just accept that you didn't qualify for medals when in service, and be proud of the service you gave regardless.

Personally, I give credence to a Veteran's badge far more than the "Conspicuous Wardodging Cross mit oakleaves und bratwurst" gongs that you tend to see come remembrance day.

But then, I've got some tin, so I don't know how I'd feel if I'd been 22 and out with ficht alles to show for it.
LSGC?
A Jubilee of some affair?

there are so many threads on this site about wanting more medals, lets stick with the badge, you get to wear it more often and it isnt a gizzit like the golden jubilee pot. If they did issue the damn thing then you would want a clasp for every posting you ever had.

This piece of additional bling would not stop the multitude of crap available from dodgy shops on line being bought by those who feel left out by never having deployed but want to look like they have.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Bad_Crow said:
Themanwho said:

LSGC?
A Jubilee of some affair?
I also stood in a particularly hazardous Naafi queue "over the water". I could tell you more but I'd have to bore you... oh, too late.

A pin or lapel type badge seems OK.

First we need to get Joe Public to appreceate what it means and why it's worn. The US Vetrens Assoc is a good example of poeple doing sterling work getting vets sacrifices understood. Even if you only wore it to get in cheap at Disneyland that would be something.

Filbert Fox said:
there are so many threads on this site about wanting more medals, lets stick with the badge, you get to wear it more often and it isnt a gizzit like the golden jubilee pot. If they did issue the damn thing then you would want a clasp for every posting you ever had.

This piece of additional bling would not stop the multitude of crap available from dodgy shops on line being bought by those who feel left out by never having deployed but want to look like they have.

GIMME GIMME GIMME
what he said :D Another Medal just for serving de-values Medals earned on tours. If you havent got any for whatever reason then tough, live with it. Just be proud that you served your country in whatever job you did.

Latest Threads