Should Military MOD Staff Wear Uniform?

Hell yes, the kit's free and all the girlies go moist at the sight of a soldier in combats, honest.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
What is it these days? 5 years ago it was £53 per year! Hardly enough to buy a couple of shirts...

They do at Abbey Wood, and have done for some years. I still remember the hilarity caused by a bunch of podgy Group Captains turning up with uniforms that might have fitted the last time they were worn, but were definately on the bulgy side...

The allowances are not the point really. The point is, they are serving military staff, they are in their own country, indeed in the capital city of their own country, but they don't wear the uniform of the service that pays their wages.

Why?

They could get badges with stars on, just like at McDonalds!!

Apply the same purchasing rules as the rest of the MOD and go to the lowest bidder, should be good for a laugh.

Of course then they would require rank insignia as well, and qualify as true Walts!! :twisted:

B

Biscuits_AB

Legs said:
What is it these days? 5 years ago it was £53 per year! Hardly enough to buy a couple of shirts...
£53 per annum? Was that the lower rate? I was on the higher rate......which still didn't get you a couple of shirts....unless you were comfortable in 'Tesco Tearaways' or something natty from 'Poundstretcher'.

I used to just drink mine.

B

Biscuits_AB

Outstanding said:
The allowances are not the point really. The point is, they are serving military staff, they are in their own country, indeed in the capital city of their own country, but they don't wear the uniform of the service that pays their wages.

Why?
..........because they can, I suppose.

B

Biscuits_AB

Outstanding said:
Not the civvies ( although that could be funny) The military - I have to say the more you think about it the more it becomes a serious question.
Could you imagine the civvies in uniform with rank insignia? Aren't they bad enough at reminding you of their 'military equivelant' ranks as it is?

They'd be pouncing out from behind thier calculators on unsuspecting SPS Wallahs.

Biscuits! But is it right? Why can they not dress like all other service personnel on duty. Is there some security issue, that is not really given away by the presence of lots of stripey blue shirts going into Main Building!?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Biscuits_AB said:
Legs said:
£53 per annum? Was that the lower rate? I was on the higher rate......which still didn't get you a couple of shirts....unless you were comfortable in 'Tesco Tearaways' or something natty from 'Poundstretcher'.

It wasn't the lower rate, it was the MoD Loondon rate - specially for the staff employed there. For God's sake, the bloody drivers got more than us (and we HAD to wear smart clothes - the men had to wear suit and tie).

B

Biscuits_AB

Outstanding said:
Biscuits! But is it right? Why can they not dress like all other service personnel on duty. Is there some security issue, that is not really given away by the presence of lots of stripey blue shirts going into Main Building!?
No idea mate. Being in civvies when in the mob, seems to have an air of the mystique about it. I suppose though that there's something behind it all, something pretty simple like being able to go straight into the boozer without having to get changed after work.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Actually Biscuits_AB, the REAL reason is so that we can pop into Harrods straight from work, without being kicked out!

:wink: :D :wink:

I am given to understand that the civvies find uniforms threatening or at the very least intimidating. One of the reasons the military did not wear uniform at ABW initially was just theis reason.

Also SD would ber a bit of a bore every day and C95 would frighten the locals. You must remember that ABW is in the middle of nowhere whereas MB could hardly be more central.

Pertsonally I would be uncomfortable travelling in on the tube in either C95 or SD. One would become a target for all the neer-do wells and other hoi poloi. Travelling back at 10pm could expose one to a whole load of other grief.

Could the MOD chaps be armed?

B

Biscuits_AB

Legs said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Legs said:

It wasn't the lower rate, it was the MoD Loondon rate - specially for the staff employed there. For God's sake, the bloody drivers got more than us (and we HAD to wear smart clothes - the men had to wear suit and tie).
I would rather have worn uniform for what it was worth. All the young trendies we had wearing £800 suits to work just to get them covered in sh*te used to make me laugh. I was a bit of a traditionalist and stuck to the 'more economical and hard wearing' M & S suits, which lasted at least 6 months, before I either got them ripped or got fatter.

Some of the younger element paid more for shoes than I paid for my suits......mind you, it showed. I was never the smartest soldier in the box.