Should I stop running on the Treadmill?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Sadie_Melanie, Feb 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Before christmas I always ran outside but since applying for the army I thought I should focus on all round fitness and have been going the gym during the week and running outside at the weekend. Although I am getting on fine on the treadmill my legs feel like jelly when I run on the road. I never had this problem before and I'm wondering whether my legs are getting used to running on something that keeps them going rather than having to make the effort themselves.

Before this I had no problem and managed to do a half marathon. I know that treadmill running is not as effective or beneficial as running outside so I don't want to ruin things now.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for your help
  2. again this has been covered it comes down to preference ideally its best for Army to run outdoors as much as possible but a few who use treads still say they are better. My personal view is to stick to outdoors if you do keep using the tread i used to push elevation up to 2-3% just to make sure i was pushing the legs
  3. Thanks hun, I'll give that a try.
  4. Yea get outside, I had the same problem. Outdoor running is a must
  5. When you run on a non-mobile surface (track, grass or road), your muscles contract concentrically. Your muscles pull you forwards and you exert more force and energy in the process.

The same does not happen when you run on a treadmill.

The kinetic energy of the treadmill's motion track (the moving surface upon which you run) transfers directly to your body, causing your muscles to contract eccentricaly. You do not have to exert as much force to run at a certain speed on a treadmill than you would if the running surface was immobile.

Running on a treadmill with an incline of 0.0 is like running downhill. I would advise you to set the incline to 1.5 or 2.0 when simulating outdoor running surfaces on a treadmill.

You may find hill repeats beneficial for inducing a slow rate of muscular fatigue, particularly when combined with light weight/high rep resistance training (usually 3 sets of 30 repetitions of an exercise).
  6. Thanks very much I'll try that out.
  7. Triathlon training is ideal for long-distance endurance capacity, therefore you may find the following website useful:

It features several detailed articels on endurance training, along with sample workout routines based on your goals.

Good luck.
  8. all your running in the Army is gonna be done I think it would be far more beneficial to yourself if you make the effort and run outside instead of the treadmill. I personally am not a fan of the I get the sense that I am not going anywhere....while running outside....I get more of a sense of there being an objective to the run and a finish line somewhere......
  9. Treadmills are a good training aid - for example tell me where you can find a hill that goes up forever..?

Aside that, the points made about the disadvantages of treadmills all stand. They are a training aid and not to be relied on.
  10. start of my training i was using tradmil doing 1.5 miles in about 16 mins, got the time down to 12.30 - 12.45 i ran outside for first time on monday, then tuesday and wednesday, and my time is 11.23.

it is also more effective running outside because you dont feel limited , i.e you have nothing to look at on a treadmil but scenery, nice women, dead foxes etc keep your mind off it outside.

nuff z
  11. if you need a running partner .............. *cough*
  12. i run on the treadmill 3 times a week, doing 1.5 mile in about 11:40 mins
    but lately iv been running outside and i find it alot easier and can do my 1.5 mile in about 10:40 so i'm nocking of a full min.