should i stay or should i go?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 3troop, Jan 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the RMR all hype? Green beret in 6 months (if you transfer you go straight onto phase2 ) unlimited MTDs trips to belize, all expense sking ,keen motivated people, a higher rate of pay.
    Its only up the road what am i waiting for? it just seems too good to be true has anybody got any experience of or knows somebody who has transfered and could give me a more realisitic idea?
  2. I know a rubber dagger who transferred to TA Infantry, and he's a knobber, who knows shagall, and managed to alienate himself from our entire recruit platoon in about 2 weekends.

That's my experience :)
  3. a friend of mine was a reg marine and went in rmr when he got out. he loves it, they have more money per head spent than we do, thats for sure. hes been all over, and plenty of ex's with reg rm regts too. and as he is a coxswain now he spend a lot of weekends training down poole with sbs and stuff, as for transferring im not sure but he says you can go green in 6 months if you put the effort in. but dont think it is easy as you have to complete the same test week as regs do, this is were a lot fall over as there not prepared enough but gthe psi' s should nt put you forward if your unlikely to pass
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

There's nearly 70 of them serving in Afgh now. It's a long deployment, as they do the COMPLETE pre-tour training with the Commando concerned. If you aren't prepared to do a 12 or 13 month mobilisation every few years, then it's probably not for you.
  5. Thanks for the replies, I want a challenge and i want to be with motivated people who want to do courses and progress. The use of reserve in the title does inspire me it suggests they have a clearly defined role and arnt hung up over their relationship to the regs. As for mobilisation its a possibility now
    that sounds like a definte bonus. It seems like the way forward.
  6. If you have to ask the question, particularly on this forum, I would say you may not be ready.
  7. Been mortar courses with RMR, some good blokes, lot of ex-Regs.
  8. The RMR that I've met have been switched on, clued up and keen as mustard.

On Annual Camp with us, as GW1 was kicking off, they phoned their unit to ask what was going on, packed their kit and went off to deploy - all in the space of a couple of hours. It left the rest of us wondering whether or not we'd be going home after Camp.
  9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I like that ethos too and often wish that the TA (the infantry at least) was more like that. From everything I've seen and heard, 4 Para are pretty much on the same level and you might want to take a look at them too. Of course geography trumps so if the RMR are closest ...
  10. The reason could be that the RMR ( to the best of my knowldge ) have not deployed as formed units so there is no formed unit to train; so you go with the unit you'd be working with. Londons, Rifles, EER etc send formed units and so train as that formed unit.
  11. I know a few who transferred found it was not for them then transferred back. Reason being is that they were unable to fulfill the comittment.

It's a full on thing which prefarably you should be unemployed and see it as a career, where you can committ fully.

No problems with anyone there, they were just surprised that they would be expected to do more than the usual two weekends a month. If you only live up the road call in and have a chat to them.
  12. I somehow doubt that is the case.