Should I, or shouldn’t I? Walking the UK coast.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe it's all a scam.

AWOL sets out a big sob story - all "woe is me, nobody loves me, the dog shat in my boots, sniff, sob".

We go all sympathetic and try to help out as and how we can.

Two weeks later he is creaming the cash by selling tents, maggots, Barbours, maps and assorted country stuff on bay.
So he’s a Hovpot. **** him then he can buy his own lemonade. (see post 137).

Maybe it's all a scam.

AWOL sets out a big sob story - all "woe is me, nobody loves me, the dog shat in my boots, sniff, sob".

Two weeks later he is creaming the cash by selling tents, maggots, Barbours, maps and assorted country stuff on bay.
He won't get much for a pair of boots that some dog has shit in, though.

This is a great thread. I would be off on this if I had the time and opportunity.
Someone has already offered a bergan but depending on back length required I have a long back bergan if you want to use that.

Is there anything else that may be of use?

Awol

LE
Maybe it's all a scam.

Bugger.

Awol

LE
This is a great thread. I would be off on this if I had the time and opportunity.
Someone has already offered a bergan but depending on back length required I have a long back bergan if you want to use that.

Is there anything else that may be of use?
I’m think I’m sorted thanks, but as I’ve already mentioned I wouldn’t take any stuff from anyone unless it was definite, and a lot depends on how my leg stands up to the weight. Besides which I’ve got a couple of volunteering/possible job applications on the go, which will have to take priority if I’m successful (well, the employment will, the volunteering not so much).

Why does he need maps? He only has to keep the sea on one side and land on the other, even I could work that out and trust me I’m fecking hopeless.
I even got lost on my way home from work once.
He needs maps, tide tables and a watch.

Without which, he could spend several months circumnavigating Lindisfarne repeatedly.

slick

LE
Maybe it's all a scam.

:):)

aw.jpg

This may stop you wandering off the coastal path into places like Rochdale or Wigan.

Ordnance Survery Interactive Maps

WHAT IS MAGIC?​

The MAGIC website provides authoritative geographic information about the natural environment from across government. The information covers rural, urban, coastal and marine environments across Great Britain. It is presented in an interactive map which can be explored using various mapping tools that are included. Natural England manages the service under the direction of a Steering Group who represent the MAGIC partnership organisations.

1624024174580.png

If you do it, try to plan in a rest day once a week. It probably won't work out that regular, some times the going will be good and you'll want to crack on, other times the weather will be foul and you'll want to lay up for a bit, or you'll be crook and need to recover, but planning on a day a week off will probably be about right. I'd also try to budget on the odd night in a b&b or staying with someone, for a shower etc.

@jarrod248 would likely be available for ferrying around the coastal parts of South Yorkshire.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Feck Off!
He's already had a set of desert boots, combat jacket and a very expensive Barbour jacket off me.

He's not having me maps as well..
You’re a generous sought, what else have you got going:???:

So, around 3,000 miles on a dodgy leg, then.

You've been chatting with the Emperor, I reckon.

There must be something equally as adventurous to do sitting down - in a kayak or on a horse for example.

I also have to say I have found coastal path walking a pretty boring and very demanding thing to do.

An endless and monotonous series of serious ups and downs with very few flat bits in between that will allow you actually jolly along and enjoy what you are doing.

Best of luck with it all anyway.

I walked the Cornwall coast from Redruth round to Falmouth one summer, wild camping on the way, that was a good couple of weeks .

Not like Cumbria or Scotland though, there are no crystal clear streams or tarns to get water from, every water source is bogging by the time it reaches the coast down there, you have to rely on bottled water or scrounge from caravan parks or campsites taps.

Awol

LE
My current plan is to avoid the north of Scotland during the depths of winter. My calculations (on a beer mat) suggest that the path(s) total about 2700 miles and at a totally random 10 miles per day, will take about 9 to 10 months.

If I start at the Severn Bridge, (going clockwise) I should reach the top of Jockoland about halfway through the trip, ie after about 5 months, and hopefully in mid-summer. This means leaving home in about February, which will also give me time to train and get organised.

If I start at the Severn Bridge, (going clockwise) I should reach the top of Jockoland about halfway through the trip, ie after about 5 months, and hopefully in mid-summer. This means leaving home in about February, which will also give me time to train and get organised.

That should give the midges something to eat then..

Latest Threads