Should I, or shouldn’t I? Walking the UK coast.

964ST

LE
My tuppence worth, advice on long distance walking North of Scotland.

There's now an John O'Groats trail
But at the Southern end it does skip a bit of coast such as the Black Isle and then the Portmahomack peninsula.

There's no trail across the North Coast and a lot of it is cliff and bog so you end up walking on the road, much of which is single track and shared with the NC500.

From Cape Wrath to Fort William there's this.

Occasionally we get round the coast folk popping up on Facebook and local media. As they travel they are offered beds and meals, this is more successful on east as more populated.

The issue with food is that, if on foot, the distance between shops on the West and the North.

But with sufficient social media presence and doing it for the right charity, locals can be very generous in terms of transport and accommodation.
I think the key to your trip is “Support/sponsorship“, or a You Tube live Stream.

Or a really active Tinder account

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It was because I was agreeing (whole-heartedly) with you but have removed it...

I didn't want the image of a thumb up anywhere when talking about bottoms...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Screenshot_20210721-064112_Facebook.jpg

As mentioned above, social media requests to assist charity fundraisers are not uncommon up in North

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I hope for his sake it remains as flat calm as it is here. I can understand canoeing where if you're experienced enough you can cope with different conditions, but paddle boarding? Also, where does he keep his stuff?

Kit in dry bags fore and aft.
FB_IMG_1626887461092.jpg

Middle Miss F's board is apparently rated for 150kg, so even a fatty like me could have 50kg of kit!

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Kit in dry bags fore and aft.
View attachment 590551

Middle Miss F's board is apparently rated for 150kg, so even a fatty like me could have 50kg of kit!

That's interesting as I haven't seen anyone with kit on board. Still wondering how he manages waves, unless he just sits astride the board, in which case it becomes an uncomfortable kayak.

As an aside, we were at a small beach yesterday when three teenage lassies rocked up on two jet skis and 'drove' in as far as they could. Watching the tide ebb leaving the jet skis high and dry I was interested in what was going to happen when they came to leave, and sure enough with the sun setting over Jura they were about 20m away from deep enough water. Cue lots of pushing and shoving (and swearing!) but to no avail. Having observed this struggle for a few minutes Mrs GG and I wandered over and offered our services with a smile and a sagely, "You didn't really think this through, did you?"

A bit more huffing and puffing (and a sleeping mat under the bows) and they were on their way.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's interesting as I haven't seen anyone with kit on board. Still wondering how he manages waves, unless he just sits astride the board, in which case it becomes an uncomfortable kayak.

As an aside, we were at a small beach yesterday when three teenage lassies rocked up on two jet skis and 'drove' in as far as they could. Watching the tide ebb leaving the jet skis high and dry I was interested in what was going to happen when they came to leave, and sure enough with the sun setting over Jura they were about 20m away from deep enough water. Cue lots of pushing and shoving (and swearing!) but to no avail. Having observed this struggle for a few minutes Mrs GG and I wandered over and offered our services with a smile and a sagely, "You didn't really think this through, did you?"

A bit more huffing and puffing (and a sleeping mat under the bows) and they were on their way.

Middle Miss F and her friends often have kit with them.

Usually food, water, spare clothing, phones.

Having observed this struggle for a few minutes Mrs GG and I wandered over and offered our services with a smile and a sagely, "You didn't really think this through, did you?"
I was expecting you to tell us that you wandered across to them, said "You're the fourth ones this week to do that" before walking nonchalantly off and leaving them to it.

Awol

LE
Talking of charities, if my foolish bold plan comes to fruition, I’m going to be looking for ideas for charitable causes to support. I’m thinking of a military one (obviously), a kid’s one and probably one other.

I don’t want to try and support too many, as I think that it may be counterproductive and just confuse the issues in the eyes of the public, and I’ll also want to avoid the really big ones (RBL, NSPCC etc) as they already get plenty of support, and smaller charities will obviously benefit proportionately more for any specific amount of wonga.

So, any ideas appreciated chaps and ladies. What cause is close to your hearts?

Last edited:

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
Talking of charities, if my foolish bold plan comes to fruition, I’m going to be looking for ideas for charitable causes to support. I’m thinking of a military one ( obviously), a kid’s one and probably one other.

I don’t want to try and support too many, as I think that it may be counterproductive and just confuse the issues in the eyes of the public, and I’ll also want to avoid the really big ones (RBL, NSPCC etc) as they already get plenty of support, and smaller charities will obviously benefit proportionately more for any specific amount of wonga.

So, any ideas appreciated chaps and ladies. What cause is close to your hearts?
Very noble of you, good man. I like what Macmillan Cancer Support do in terms of really practical non-gimmicky support and awareness-raising for something that ends up affecting most people, although it may not meet your criteria as it's a big national charity. St Mungo's give a lot of people a roof over their heads (seeing people homeless tugs at my heart strings when the weather's cold).

Best of luck with your training, and your eventual walk!

Awol

LE
Very noble of you, good man. I like what Macmillan Cancer Support do in terms of really practical non-gimmicky support and awareness-raising for something that ends up affecting most people, although it may not meet your criteria as it's a big national charity. St Mungo's give a lot of people a roof over their heads (seeing people homeless tugs at my heart strings when the weather's cold).

Best of luck with your training, and your eventual walk!
Thanks mate. Good suggestions too. Depending on the level of suggestions I might have to pull names out of a hat. On the other hand. if there aren’t any more suggestions, Mungo’s get it all!

Dwarf

LE
I could suggest a small business in Catalonia that took a hit with covid.

Apart from that there must be any number of hospices that could use a bit of help. After seeing how one helped an uncle of mine when he was terminal then I'd consider that option.

Awol

LE
There is a plethora of good causes, and if I do the walk it’s going to be extremely difficult to choose. After all, who can not choose a childs’ hospice or any number of worthy causes.

In the event I go, I may cheat and put a selection of charities to the Arrse majority and let you lot choose.

If anyone wants to know, I’m still walking daily with a weighted daysack, gradually building up weight and distance, although there has been a gap of a week or so because of problems with my guts which flares up with regularity every month or so. I spend three days in bed, then I’m fine, so it’s no big deal and is completely manageable.

I'm working for a little known charity called Compassionate Assistance for ex Service Homeless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Donors can send me a cheque to pass on.

Just write them out to CASH.

Thanks in advance

Latest Threads