Should I, or shouldn’t I? Walking the UK coast.

unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) putting fluids up the bottom is one of the least effective ways of rehydrating someone. it's just ahead of trying to absorb it through the skin.
Really? Given the main function of the large intestine is absorption of water I would have thought it should be pretty effective, especially if you poke the tube a bit further past the rectum. Drinking water is just going to pass through your stomach into the intestines anyway.

Allegedly the same reason why alcohol up the arse gets you significantly drunker than the same volume orally.

Last edited:

Awol

LE
This might be of some use, along with a browse of the 'Anyone into wild camping' thread
That is just what I was looking for. I was guesstimating about 30kg which appears about right.

Although I’m puzzled as to what half a kilo of ‘toilet equipment’ is.....

Awol

LE
Really? Given the main function of the large intestine is absoption of water I would have thought it should be pretty effective, especially if you poke the tube a bit further past the rectum. Drinking water is just going to pass through your stomach into the intestines anyway.

Allegedly the same reason why alcohol up the arse gets you significantly drunker than the same volume orally.
I’ve mentioned this before in another thread.... there was a family shipwrecked for several months in a rubber raft in the Pacific in the ‘70s. The mother was a nurse and kept everyone alive by simply pouring sea water up their bottoms every day. Probably very messy, but worth knowing about.

I’ve mentioned this before in another thread.... there was a family shipwrecked for several months in a rubber raft in the Pacific in the ‘70s. The mother was a nurse and kept everyone alive by simply pouring sea water up their bottoms every day. Probably very messy, but worth knowing about.
So what we are going to see on the UK coastline this summer is a middle aged man led on his back, with the tube from a Camelbac stuffed up his chocolate starfish claiming to be "Rehydrating"...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That is just what I was looking for. I was guesstimating about 30kg which appears about right.

They're Swedish..... who knows - I'd rather not!

Dwarf

LE
1626704744583.png

Dwarf

LE

So how is the training going?
From experience I think you will find 30kg over the top. There is some stuff on that list that you will end up wanting to bin.
In your work up try with that weight and then rethink.
Food and water will be the big variable but if you have an emergency stash of tea, nuts, chinese noodles and dried seaweed then you are unlikely to need to carry more than 2-3 days of food at most.
Work on your list and porridge for breakfast.

So how is the training going?
From experience I think you will find 30kg over the top. There is some stuff on that list that you will end up wanting to bin.
In your work up try with that weight and then rethink.
Food and water will be the big variable but if you have an emergency stash of tea, nuts, chinese noodles and dried seaweed then you are unlikely to need to carry more than 2-3 days of food at most.
Work on your list and porridge for breakfast.

I'd say 5 days, and look to forage if you can. Be VERY careful about mushrooms!

Edit: greenery can bulk you out, so you aren't so hungry, and can be supplemented with glucose tablets, to keep up your energy levels.
Multivitamins can reduce degradation as well.

I'm not so sure of multivitamins as there is not much evidence of their effectiveness.

I would suggest you take Calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements daily. These are essential for bone development and maintaining bone mineral density and have been extensively tested for efficacy. Your skeleton (especially your spine) is going to get a bit of a hammering on the journey and it might be nice to give it some TLC and bone food.

Issi

LE
A chap I play rugby with is just about to set off around the Wales coastline. He's put aside 8 weeks to do it.

I'm not so sure of multivitamins as there is not much evidence of their effectiveness.

I would suggest you take Calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements daily. These are essential for bone development and maintaining bone mineral density and have been extensively tested for efficacy. Your skeleton (especially your spine) is going to get a bit of a hammering on the journey and it might be nice to give it some TLC and bone food.

No harm in keeping everything else topped up though.

Dwarf

LE
I'd say 5 days, and look to forage if you can. Be VERY careful about mushrooms!

Edit: greenery can bulk you out, so you aren't so hungry, and can be supplemented with glucose tablets, to keep up your energy levels.
Multivitamins can reduce degradation as well.
Five days is a lot if you aren't careful, the man needs to enjoy himself and not carry a wardrobe of just in case stuff if he doesn't have to. It's why I suggested 2-3 days but also have a reserve of dried, lightweight food. I find chinese noodles seaweed and dried mushrooms work very well, light, don't take up space and quick to cook. You can also exist a long time on porridge, though you might not want to.
When I walk it's always the food and water that's the issue, the basic bergen weight isn't once you work out the priorities and bin the not needed.

Yes, forage by all means, loads of leafy greens available, and depending on the season plenty on bushes or farmers' fields.
Carry stock cubes as these supply elements that we need, so you can cut back on multi-vitamins, and they make evening soups-stews more palatable.
Not forgetting the small tin of curry powder, essential in my kit.

The best mushrooms to forage are the Instant Death cap, Liver Destroying bracket, Satans Puffball , Toxic Meadowblight funnel, Waxy Cyanide horn, Grim Reaper shroom and the Horse Blinding of Angel of Death.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Really? Given the main function of the large intestine is absorption of water I would have thought it should be pretty effective, especially if you poke the tube a bit further past the rectum. Drinking water is just going to pass through your stomach into the intestines anyway.

when hydrated the alcohol up the bum can work, when dehydrated only essential organs get blood, eventually that doesn't even include the brain - hence unconsciousness when dehydrated. the digestive tract is one of those that gets reduced blood supply early on. Heart and lungs being the most important.

this is why early hydration is important and why whenever I'd get a trauma/dehydration/shock case I'd get a needle and then fluids in ASAP.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
@goodoldboy the 'thumbs up' icon used on the post above seems inappropriate given the subject matter.

just sayin'

McDougall family - or something like that. The actual rubber tube is in the Maritime Museum in Falmouth.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My tuppence worth, advice on long distance walking North of Scotland.

There's now an John O'Groats trail
But at the Southern end it does skip a bit of coast such as the Black Isle and then the Portmahomack peninsula.

There's no trail across the North Coast and a lot of it is cliff and bog so you end up walking on the road, much of which is single track and shared with the NC500.

From Cape Wrath to Fort William there's this.

Occasionally we get round the coast folk popping up on Facebook and local media. As they travel they are offered beds and meals, this is more successful on east as more populated.

The issue with food is that, if on foot, the distance between shops on the West and the North.

But with sufficient social media presence and doing it for the right charity, locals can be very generous in terms of transport and accommodation.

Latest Threads