Should I, or shouldn’t I? Walking the UK coast.

Dwarf

LE
Is that like a bacon sandwich but with a large bun in place of the bacon?
BUN!!!???*"* Are you all heathens south of Durham?

Stottie is oven base baked and is a soft flattish loaf. (Bloody bun my arse).
Often eaten with a pease pudding and ham or sausage filling

Banter apart it's something I haven't found anywhere else in the UK and always take some back after my visits. Curiously I have found in my local Moroccan run shop a similar bread just not quite the same.
Certainly worth trying.

Awol

LE
A bit of a pain to carry, but (Sir) Chris Bonnington wasn't far wrong when he said 'the hot beefy taste really cheered us'. Bovril, Marmite, stock cubes. Maybe it's sweating excessively. but marmite 'soup' is excellent, more so if you have crackers.
[get some mates to lift some individual portions from hotels etc if you must; £3 for a 250g jar is not a bad deal IMHO]
Oxo cubes are a pain to carry?

Surgery might have weakened me a bit, but I reckon I can manage a handful of cubes.

If not, I am in trouble, and may have to leave a tea bag behind to compensate for the extra weight. :)

964ST

LE
So are you now the official arrse enema giver?
Here is the extract from my old First Aid handbook.
Now you know how and why and can administer if required!? just remember if you use a camelbak instead of a naso-gastric tube take the mouthpiece off.
20210704_125923_copy_1797x1010.jpg

Oxo cubes are a pain to carry?

Surgery might have weakened me a bit, but I reckon I can manage a handful of cubes.

If not, I am in trouble, and may have to leave a tea bag behind to compensate for the extra weight. :)
I'd skip the OXO and go for own brand stock "cubes" without MSG in them. Aldi, Morrison's etc.

I've skimmed over all of the replies, most are very positive and supportive ..... I think its a definite 'don't do it'.
It sounds like a great idea, the planning gets you thinking and inspired but the reality will be grim!!
You will spend days without seeing a soul, the weather will be shit, you will be living with minimal kit/ scoff etc. Your injury may be worsened by the experience, possibly to the point of being life changing
Having said all that, good luck if you do go for it!!

Dwarf

LE
I've skimmed over all of the replies, most are very positive and supportive ..... I think its a definite 'don't do it'.
It sounds like a great idea, the planning gets you thinking and inspired but the reality will be grim!!
You will spend days without seeing a soul, the weather will be shit, you will be living with minimal kit/ scoff etc. Your injury may be worsened by the experience, possibly to the point of being life changing
Having said all that, good luck if you do go for it!!
1625425224770.png

On the other hand time alone is often good time. He wants to get away from a family and life situation so reflective time with no-one to annoy you can often be valuable.
Living with minimal kit and scoff can be positive too, how much do we really need?
The planning and sharing on here can be fun as I discovered, also in a low time of my life.
If he is building up slowly any injuries should be exposed in time to either call it off or get corrective measures taken.
And the weather? Hey we are British aren't we?

I see what you are driving at, but this might be just what he needs as a life reset. Even if he finally doesn't go it's worth trying for.

You defo need to build up to long range treks, first to test all your equipment and sort out what you do and don't need and second to make sure you're fit enough and not wake up the second morning with knees like two red grapefruits.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
will everyone stop being sensible with all this "build up to it" and "test your kit" bollocks?

EM has spoken, and we all know what happens to anyone who interferes with EM's work.

Don't say I didn't warn you

will everyone stop being sensible with all this "build up to it" and "test your kit" bollocks?

EM has spoken, and we all know what happens to anyone who interferes with EM's work.

Don't say I didn't warn you
I reckon he should plan to the minutest detail. If he takes 10 years in the planning, that's miles off the journey due to coastal erosion.

EM will still get him when he forgets to break step crossing bridges.

Go up the East Side of the country first. Anti clockwise.
When you get to the top of Scotland and hilly bits of Cumbria and Wales you can look at the map and can rest assured that you will be travelling downhill for the rest of your journey.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Here is the extract from my old First Aid handbook.
Now you know how and why and can administer if required!? just remember if you use a camelbak instead of a naso-gastric tube take the mouthpiece off.
View attachment 586302

unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) putting fluids up the bottom is one of the least effective ways of rehydrating someone. it's just ahead of trying to absorb it through the skin.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I reckon he should plan to the minutest detail. If he takes 10 years in the planning, that's miles off the journey due to coastal erosion.

EM will still get him when he forgets to break step crossing bridges.

How many legs does the OP have?
Is he Sleipnir?
or an Octopus?

Dwarf

LE
you didn't go with the RH version then

I was working on the assumption that he is merely deformed and not a sex-pest whose walk is a cunningly disguised plan designed to procure victims from all over the country.

However I will defer to @Old Stab on this one.

Dwarf

LE
unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) putting fluids up the bottom is one of the least effective ways of rehydrating someone. it's just ahead of trying to absorb it through the skin.
Well colour me slow and innocent, but it has finally dawned on why he is talking about enemas and camelbaks in the same sentence.
Frankly it's a use I would never have considered.
Re-using it afterwards though one simply needs to semi-fill it with whisky or vodka or whatever, and carry on jogging.

Wor Kid whose signal trick was cow-crap butties * and whose Mortar Platoon were the humps of the Battalion, wouldn't even consider it a problem.

*"It's only dried grass." Unquote.

Daz

LE

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
This might be of some use, along with a browse of the 'Anyone into wild camping' thread

Latest Threads