Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I leave halfway through training?

I'm am currently 6 months into AFC Harrogate and I'm starting to consider whether joining the army was the best thing to do. I am currently aspiring to join the rifles but I've met a lot of servicemen that have told me to think twice about joining the army as this really is not what it seems. It just feels like i'm missing out on a lot of experiences to be had. I am not criticising the army at all as so far I've had some good experiences, but I just can't help feeling like it's not the best option when my mates are getting better opportunities, earning more money and seeing the world on holidays while I'm stuck in the drill shed at 9pm on show parade.

I decided to write this on here to get the opinions of ex servicemen which I will really take into consideration because right now the only thing stopping me from leaving is disappointing my family and friends.

Harrogate like most training establishments is not the army that you will encounter once training is finished, its totally different in that the DS are attempting to break you down and build you up in their image, that is to be a fully functioning soldier, able to adapt to the changing conditions that you will eventually face. Stick with it, see it through, once your training is over, and you get to your first working unit, that is where you earn your corn, and at the same time enjoy the facilities, the camaraderie and friendships that will last a life time. The comments from other soldiers, serving and retired reflect their triumphs and failures, every mans take on a soldiers life is different, but every soldier relies on his muckers, as they do on him.
The very fact that you took the queens shilling is enough in the eyes of family and civvie friends, you are doing it for yourself, to further your lifestyle choices, and remember, training is only a small fraction of your time in uniform. My time in training was horrific, back in the early 70s it was a lot tougher, living conditions were by your standards Spartan, bulling boots, button sticks, floor bumpers, etc, I emerged 12 years later a PSI, a more than competent tradesman, able to take anything that life threw at me, AND that is the legacy of a soldier.

Harrogate like most training establishments is not the army that you will encounter once training is finished, its totally different in that the DS are attempting to break you down and build you up in their image, that is to be a fully functioning soldier, able to adapt to the changing conditions that you will eventually face. Stick with it, see it through, once your training is over, and you get to your first working unit, that is where you earn your corn, and at the same time enjoy the facilities, the camaraderie and friendships that will last a life time. The comments from other soldiers, serving and retired reflect their triumphs and failures, every mans take on a soldiers life is different, but every soldier relies on his muckers, as they do on him.
The very fact that you took the queens shilling is enough in the eyes of family and civvie friends, you are doing it for yourself, to further your lifestyle choices, and remember, training is only a small fraction of your time in uniform. My time in training was horrific, back in the early 70s it was a lot tougher, living conditions were by your standards Spartan, bulling boots, button sticks, floor bumpers, etc, I emerged 12 years later a PSI, a more than competent tradesman, able to take anything that life threw at me, AND that is the legacy of a soldier.

Further to my last. 4 tours of Norway, winter warfare and skiing.1 attachment with 216 Para in Sardinia. 4 seasons PSI snow queen, a stint at porton down, interesting!!. working visits to Bern, Luxemburg, Berlin, 2 postings BAOR. I posting BLC west London, queens duties, RRI team.
Flights in Hercules's, scout, Wessex and Iroquois helicopters, 4 trips on the LST Sir Lancelot, HGV 3, 1 week in Paris attached to the British embassy, And a host of adventures and surreal situations that a well heeled civvie would give his eye teeth for, all priceless memories, and all beacause , on a whim, I walked into a recruiting office and said " I want to join the army, sergeant!"

The above posters are all right, for their varying reasons. I will just add that the doubts you have been having having would be quite normal for your age and stage of life. From experience, I expect that were you in a school 6th form instead, half committed to a path that lead to a certain degree you would be having similar doubts - our kids did, their friends did. I'll not post personal details here - but go to 'view conversations' on your account panel.

You can leave anytime you want if you just show the guardroom a note from your mum, they will probably let you keep your uniform and gun as momento's.

Latest Threads