Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I leave halfway through training?

Thankyou everyone, your responses have helped reassure myself into sticking with it.

Don't just stick with it. Be better at it, embrace it and Enjoy it, .

You've made the right choice. In years time when you're swilling beer whilst pumping that filthy whore in some dodgy overseas territory, you will remember this thread.

Maybe :wink:

I was trying the soft approach

(which was never said by Jimmy Savile)

I would guess you are probably late teens.

These glittering, fun-filled, action packed, full of fanny careers your mates are enjoying.

Do they include things like "do you want fries with that", "spillage in aisle 16" or "sorry we don't need you today. Try again in three days time".

As Churchill said "no bigger bollox has ever been spoken than by young men trying to embellish their mundane lives". Probably.

If you do stick it out then well done.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thankyou everyone, your responses have helped reassure myself into sticking with it.
The fact that you have wobbled and stopped to think about it is a good thing.

You've now made an informed decision and are in a good place to move on. From here, you'll be able to look at your peers and see who else is wobbling.

For what it's worth. I was encouraged to believe I was overqualified to go RAC and instead go RMP when all I wanted was to command a tank. After three months, I wobbled. RMP wouldn't let me transfer out so I flounced.

I immediately reapplied, with the proviso that I didn't need encouragement, thank you, and was entirely happy. The 88 days in the RMP worked in my favour.

Later, the itch having been scratched, I was able to reconsider the advice that I was overqualified and was able to transfer again, setting myself up for life after Army.

Don't expect to be so lucky.

Embrace it, the Armed Forces is the biggest Club in the World. Any skills you have will be enhanced by being in the Army, as has already been said, your mates are for life, the places you end up are unlimited, you get out as much as you put in.

The one thing I took with me from training was, "Never take a bollocking personally", they are for your education.

When I joined, all my mates were astonished, they reckoned I wouldn't make it past basic training, 22+ years later, I came out, having been around the World, to some very strange places, with some of the finest people you could meet, and shared a unique experience.

Matt638

Old-Salt
My son is ex AFC and still serving at 21 year old now. He's a Lcpl and just bought an nearly new Alfa Romeo out right and been on a cruise holiday and a week in Greece this year. He bumps into some of those he was at school with one is a bar manager after going to uni....one works in Asda. He's been to the Falklands and Germany and France with the Army. Think he's better off than most of his contemporaries. Stick to it.

I'm am currently 6 months into AFC Harrogate and I'm starting to consider whether joining the army was the best thing to do. I am currently aspiring to join the rifles but I've met a lot of servicemen that have told me to think twice about joining the army as this really is not what it seems. It just feels like i'm missing out on a lot of experiences to be had. I am not criticising the army at all as so far I've had some good experiences, but I just can't help feeling like it's not the best option when my mates are getting better opportunities, earning more money and seeing the world on holidays while I'm stuck in the drill shed at 9pm on show parade.

I decided to write this on here to get the opinions of ex servicemen which I will really take into consideration because right now the only thing stopping me from leaving is disappointing my family and friends.

((Wah shield))
Join the Engineers, fun, sexy, educational, rough n tough. Dangers and wings available.
((Wah shield))

Bin it off you whiny **** and get a job at mac Donald's

((Wah shield))
Join the Engineers, fun, sexy, educational, rough n tough. Dangers and wings available.
((Wah shield))

Bin it off you whiny **** and get a job at mac Donald's

I posted this two and a half years ago but it's worth a rehash.

My father joined the Royal Engineers in 1950. He didn't have the academic qualifications, background or money to become a civilian engineer. The Army gave him the opportunity to become a bridge builder, which was his passion.

He went all over the world. Narrowly swerved Korea - he was on his way but they signed the truce and his ship diverted to Hong Kong.

He visited India, Singapore, Hawaii, Hong Kong, and loads of other places.

He went to Christmas Island to build stuff for the nuclear tests. He built the platform in Berlin that Kennedy made his "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech on. He built stuff and blew up stuff all over the world.

We lived in Osnabruck for five years in a lovely house and with a lifestyle that most Brits back in the mid-60s would envy. Cheap everything, cheap car, petrol coupons etc.

In his later career he worked with the MGB from its inception. He travelled to America, France, Switzerland, Iraq and Gods knows where else working with Fairey Engineering and the Army sales team.

He retired in his late fifties with a pension he could live on without having to bother with a civvy job (although it helped that his second wife had a good MOD CS pension).

Talking to him shortly before he croaked he had no complaints and wouldn't have had it any other way. (His only complaint was that he reckoned the British Government nuked him. I was less than convinced by this as he croaked thirty years after the nuclear tests).

I don't know what the future holds for you but we live in interesting times and I rather get the impression that the British Army might be at the forefront of how we respond to them.

If you are a bit down now I suggest you look to the future and the opportunities and experiences that might arise. I would bet large amounts of folding money that they will be better than a zero hours McJob in Tesco.

Last edited:
Stick it out, it's the right choice at this stage. I've had an interesting life, but now approaching retirement I drive a computer nine to five, and the most interesting people in my building to swing the lamp with are all ex Forces. You are resilient when young, suck it up for now and make your decision a year ahead.

In one sense it's no different to a period of civilian training/ work

" I had this construction apprenticeship I was doing OK but I chucked it in"
"I was at University doing OK but gave up halfway through the degree"
" I was a Rep in Ibiza but jacked it in halfway through the summer"
Even
"
I was on the McDonald's Training programme but chucked it in..."

All of those look crap on your CV
Look awful to any future employer - of any sort.
They just raise doubts about you.
And so will throwing in the Army.

Maybe the armed forces really aren't for you.
Nothing wrong with that.
But stick it out and complete your training.
Work hard and pass...
It will look good whatever you eventually do.

Last edited:
To answer the title:
No.

If you do then you will regret it for the rest of your life.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
My two pennyworth. I'm guessing you're late teens? Four years probably seems like a lifetime. Trust me it's not.

You have a wealth of opportunities, if you look at everything as a learning opportunity, even the negative stuff ( well I've learned not to do X again). Good luck in whatever path you choose.

(And I'm pleased to see some positive advice on here for a change ) :)

I joined as a boy soldier at 15 in 1971. I went to my battalion when I was 17 and left when I was 21. I spent four and a half years in my battalion, 1RGJ which was one of the forming Regiments of the Rifles. I left at an early stage of my career in 1977 because I got married and decided married life wouldn't suit me in the Army. I think that was a big mistake now but you can't change your life once you've made and carried out those decisions.

During those four and a half years though, I spent time in a mechanised role in BAOR Germany, a UN tour in Cyprus, jungle training in Guyana in South America and managed three tours in Northern Ireland. We also did a public duties stint in London and as an air-portable battalion, we did various tactical exercises down on Salisbury Plain, Mid and North Wales, Norfolk and up at Otterburn in the North of England. A lot to pack in during just four and a half years but there you go.

I made lifelong mates. One visited us just last week from the Czech Republic where he now lives. I wouldn't have any of those mates and nor would I have had any of those experiences if I hadn't joined. They shaped me for life by giving me a can do approach to whatever task I was asked to carry out in civvy street.

Service life isn't rose tinted nor is it easy and it can get a tad hairy at times but I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could.

Stick it out and see what you think after you have joined your battalion. You can then make an informed decision based on your own experiences. If you want to leave then, do so at the earliest opportunity but you may be surprised just how much you do enjoy soldiering despite it's hardships.

Good Luck whatever you do.

Last edited:
I bet this bloke's still regretting jacking it in early before finishing training

Note: edited to remove apparently dodgy link

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fairey Engineering
Have we discussed before whether your father knew my father in law, who was on the Fairey Delta 2 team?

anglo

LE
I bet this bloke's still regretting jacking it in early before finishing training

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/F...thday-ten-facts/0-91-150/edward--z.jpg.cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Website was given a red warning by my av

This website has been reported as unsafe

We recommend that you do not proceed to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

Website was given a red warning by my av

This website has been reported as unsafe

We recommend that you do not proceed to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

Sorry about that. Seems ok when I click on it. I'll remove nevertheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads